Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP rifle? scr-11 or psc-11?

RickeyT

Ive been reading for a while about these rifles and cant seam to make up my mind....

The scr-11 seams a little more robust then the Psc but the biggest difference I can tell is the weight and the lower magazine wells are different.... The scr has the ctr2 lower and has a tapered mag well. However for $45 I can get a plastic mag tunnel from brownell's and have the same mag well as the scr has. And I save $400.... I know that the psc lower is interchangeable and that the scr isn't but that isnt a big deal to me. Also they guy that I talked to at JP says they are working on a 22 conversion with side charging handle for the scr. That was my biggest hold up before then. I like the side charging handle.

Either one would be set up like this

18in light contour barrel, heat sink, low mass carrier, 15in hand guard, 3lb trigger

Use will be multi gun matches as well as silhouettes and just playing. This will be my first and only ar so I would like it to be versatile. Let me know if you see something I should change.

Thank you

I have the SCR and I think the big price difference is the lower is machined billet vs the PSC's forged lower. You will find the big add on magwell to be unecessary as we don't do a lot of reloads with rifles with the larger capacity magazines these days. Mine is a light barrel and extra long handguard like you describe and I can't imagine shooting any other rifle so you will be happy with your choice.

+1 on the silent captured buffer spring. I have used one on a lower I built for myself recently and I'm very glad I did. Smooth cycling, very quiet (except the whole BANG part), and generally pleasant to have. I think it's well worth the extra money.

I also agree on the reloading. I wouldn't buy a rifle based on some perceived reloading speed advantage.

Given ammunition costs over time, I really think you should buy the rifle you *really* want the first time. If that's the SCR-11 (which I've eyed myself off and on) then save up and get it, my friend! You'll be all set for the LRP-07 if you want to move up to a heavier caliber. That's what attracted me to the SCR-11 is that I have a bit of a LRP-07 "crush" :D

The ammunition costs may well exceed the rifle costs by far, so don't sweat that part as much as how you feed it over time.

Definitely getting the silent capture buffer spring. I like both. I like the looks of the scr better but I do like the idea of the psc being a little lighter. Not sure how much lighter exactly. Anyone have an idea on weight differance between the jp scr and Psc...?

Another question I just thought about. If I wanted to shoot a carbine competition. Would the scr-11 be allowed because its a race gun? Not sure about the rules on this type competition. The same goes for the Psc-11 would it not be allowed or would it be ok...?

I strongly recommend you get the rule sets for any competitions you might want to try. I don't think any of us could make any educated guesses without knowing the specific events in question. And by that time you would be only perhaps two clicks away from the competition's rules if they have them online.

Another question I just thought about. If I wanted to shoot a carbine competition. Would the scr-11 be allowed because its a race gun? Not sure about the rules on this type competition. The same goes for the Psc-11 would it not be allowed or would it be ok...?

I think most of us thought you were wanting to shoot Multi gun. When you say carbine matches what are you referring to ? In most cases if it was allowed to shoot and Ar -15 the SCR -11 would be allowed. Unless it is some unusual rule at a local match.

I don't want to limit myself to just three gun matches. And I figured that a few carbine matches would get me familure with the new rifle. I see by reading a few rules that anything goes as long as it isn't to short or full auto.

I did a lot of research and shopping around and ended up with the PSC11. I'm very happy with it so far. The company is a pleasure to do business with. One of the few manufacturers that it is almost impossible to find negative threads about. I would say that the PSC11 with the billet AXTS556 lower I had built up by JP weighs more than I thought it would. The side charge upper is sweet, but the billet upper seems to add some heft. Without looking, I'm not sure how much. Same with the billet lower vs. forged, although I absolutely would not trade the fully ambi controls on the lower. Hope that helps you out.

thanks gstar. As of right now im still undecided. I'm going to hold off on making a firm decision until the 29th of this month. I found a local three gun match that im going to go check it out and see what everyone's using and how they perform. Maybe that will give me a better idea of what I want. If not im sure ill enjoy the even.... ;>

• 2 months later...

Here is my "traveling gun" using a JP PSC-11 14 1/2" upper and Seekins billet lower. I actually like having the standard charging handle. Not sure I would at first, but have no regrets. Either way you go it's a JP.

Take care,Stan

dsc00359copy.jpg

dsc00357copy.jpg

I have an SCR 11 with JP's med weight 18 inch barrel. LMOS, heat sink and silent spring etc. It is quite heavy, but I wanted it that way since I also use it for long range prarie dog matches (out to 550 yards) since the weight adds stability. I also recently used it a 3 gun match and did not feel that the gun slowed me down at all. JP makes awesome stuff, be warned you will become a life long customer.

Hello, I also have a JP but I have an LRP-07. I went with JP for the same reason gstar did, I am age 48 and I have been shooting guns since I was 11. Guns are one of my true loves in life. Before I buy anything I do lots and lots of research. I have owned as many as 30 different guns in my life including handguns, shotguns, and rifles. I was an Expert shooter in the army and just love to shoot. Anyways I started with production guns and then moved up to custom guns. Once you shoot a Custom Gun there is no going back. Right now I currently only buy from 3 Gun Manufactures. The Reason I only buy from these 3 are that thay have very few if ever any PROBLEMS as far as QUALITY, ACCURACY, and RELIABILITY. The 3 Manufactures that I only buy from are 1) GUNCRAFTER INDUSTRIES, 2) JP ENTERPRISE, and last but not least 3) ACCURACY INTERNATIONAL. If you do your homework you will find very few if at all negative words about any of these 3 manufactures. Check out all the forums and read all the articals on these guns and you will understand.

I have a JP-15 with 18" medium contour barrel with large comp pinned/welded on. With the silent capture buffer and low mass bolt carrier group it shoots really soft, flat like a .22 cal. My friend has a SCR-11, similarily built except thermal dissipator and small comp... SCR-11 felt the same to me, we were hitting sub 1 moa using 4x scopes at 100 yards. He has ACOG and I have a Vortex Viper PST. Functionally I really like the left side charging handle, also the lower on the SCR is BEAUTIFUL. PSC adds a redunant top charging handle incase of them breaks during competition. In the end my advice is buy what you are willing to spend. JP rifles are great. I just ordered my second, a 9 mm upper with their new GMR-12 which is a lower designed to take full size Glock magazines.

I actually just got my scr-11 last week! ; ) I'm tickled to death about it. Especially since they said it could take upto a year when I ordered it. Only took 2.5 months.... ! ; ) now I'm trying to decide what scope and mount. I'm leaning really heavy toward the vortex 1-6 hd and warne ramp but a few have said I need more eye relief then the warne will allow....? Anyone else have personal experience with this setup?

I have got a Swarovski Z6i brt and I love it. Being a true 1X scope you can use it as a RED DOT scope at close range or up the magnification to 6X and reach out to 600 yards with NO PROBLEM. Also the GLASS on this scope is just like HIGH DEFINITION.

I have seen the swarovski and would've prefer it to the Vortex if they were a little closer in price..... I liked the reticle better and thought it was nice that the illumination turns its self off when in a vertical gun rack.