Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scout rifle

1911vm

I want to put togethers a scout rifle using Rem 700. I need to stay around 7lb. What is the lightest stock for a 700.

Also what is the best way to mount rail forward for a scout scope.

Thanks for any input.

Are you stuck on the forward mounted scope, because I think you would do better with one of the low power 1-4,5,6 scopes we use for three gun in a conventional mount. I really hate the forward mounted optics personally.

Pat

Are you stuck on the forward mounted scope, because I think you would do better with one of the low power 1-4,5,6 scopes we use for three gun in a conventional mount. I really hate the forward mounted optics personally.

Pat

Pat please give me some more info. I have never used a forward mount scope. What do u not like about it. Thanks

Edited by 1911vm

Here's a place to start: Rem 700 Scout Rem 700 Mountain Rem 700 Alaskan

While I understand the logic behind them, I'm not a big fan of the forward mounted scopes because of the eye relief required. You are pretty much limited to a pistol scope. But if you want a true scout rifle, that's what you need to have.

Pat

Pat please give me some more info. I have never used a forward mount scope. What do u not like about it. Thanks

The reason I don't like them is the field of view inside the optic is very small. I do shoot with two eyes open but I have found the Scout set up to be very un natural and slower for me. I would just get a conventional low power scope and get a bottom metal that takes detacable mags. The main reason for the forward mounted optic was so youc ould use stripper clips to load the magazine quickly.

pat

Pat

I have a Wild West Co-pilot in 457 mag(4570) and I was not sure about the scout scope but I really like it. I guess everybody is different.

• 8 months later...

I put together a scout rifle based on a Remington Model 7 many years ago. The main thing that I didn't like about the forward-mounted scope was that the crosshairs would wash out when the sun was low on the horizon behind you. The heavy reticle on the Leupold scope that I installed made it difficult to shoot small targets like clays at 200 yards because the reticle would entirely cover them.

DZ ARMS IN OKC MAKES A ONE PIECE ALUMINUM RAIL CONTOURED TOO THE BARREL, AND CUTS CROSS SLOTS SO YOU MOVE THE SCOPE FOR THE BEST EYE RELIEF. DRILLS AND TAPS THE BARREL 8X40. HE HAS MADE ME SEVERAL FOR REMINGTON AND NESIKA.

Edited by JACKIE40X40

Pat

The reason I don't like them is the field of view inside the optic is very small. I do shoot with two eyes open but I have found the Scout set up to be very un natural and slower for me. I would just get a conventional low power scope and get a bottom metal that takes detacable mags. The main reason for the forward mounted optic was so youc ould use stripper clips to load the magazine quickly.

pat

I like my scout set-up with Leupold 2.5X scout scope out to about 200 yds. Beyond that it is hard to see enough of the target at the low magnification. Actually can see targets such as metal plates fine but deer or coyotes harder to make out in the brush.

I have switched this rifle over to a conventional mount and 3X9 scope now for a back up deer rifle for when I hunt out west. (BLR in 7-08).

I think a red-dot would be great on a scout rifle for ranges 150 yd or less as Front Man suggests above.

Eric

I have a handful of scout rigs and if I was hunting dangerous game or men (minus the ability to have an autoloader or belt fed) it would be the configuration I'd choose.

A pistol scope is substandard on these rigs. There are purpose built scout scopes with better eye releif options.

I had good luck with my Ruger GSR by putting an XS rail on it & having an Aimpoint T1 in a low LaRue throw lever mount. It was incredibly fast on target. I also had a Leupold compact 2-7 in LT low rings that I could hot swap in a standard hunting configuration, return to zero, in under a minute. In the forward of the receiver scout position I prefer the 4moa dot vs the 2moa.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought into the scout rifle concept in the 90s, and built a short action m70 to meet Cooper's recommendations. If I had to do it again today I would look at a kimber action, 1-4 conventional scope w/cattail (lit #4 reticle), AICS/Alpha detachable mags, in a McMillan Edge. DBM eliminates the need for long eye relief, and the 1-4 extends the useable range considerably. I still find ching slings the go-to for any field rifle. For caliber I'd consider 7-08, 260, or 6.5 Creedmoor.

I was thinking about going with a Scout set-up for my MOR set-up. But the Scout scopes on the market are just duplex reticles. They don't have any hash marks for hold-overs.

My current MOR set-up is a Rem 700 youth model in .243 Win with a 20" barrel. Same cheap factory stock but with the PTG AICS compatible bottom metal (stock has to be inletted). Big knob and aftermarket trigger.

Still screwing around with the optic.

I have a handful of scout rigs and if I was hunting dangerous game or men (minus the ability to have an autoloader or belt fed) it would be the configuration I'd choose.

A pistol scope is substandard on these rigs. There are purpose built scout scopes with better eye releif options.

I had good luck with my Ruger GSR by putting an XS rail on it & having an Aimpoint T1 in a low LaRue throw lever mount. It was incredibly fast on target. I also had a Leupold compact 2-7 in LT low rings that I could hot swap in a standard hunting configuration, return to zero, in under a minute. In the forward of the receiver scout position I prefer the 4moa dot vs the 2moa.

You will notice that most of the people who do use rifles for dangerous game or hunting men (military police etc) don't use the Scout set up for their optics. What we use in three gun is about the best there is. Low power variable sin the conventional position.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle with a SWFA 1-4X mounted in the conventional position. I recently bought a Vortex 1-6X for my 3-gun AR, so that made my old SWFA available for the scout rifle.

I got to shoot my Ruger Scout with the 1-4X side by side with a Steyr Scout with a Leupold scout scope.

I preferred the scout scope setup because the scout scope allowed the use of lower rings. The larger objective lens on my 1-4X meant I had to use higher scope rings.

Even with medium height rings, I had to remove the cat tail from the SWFA because the cat tail was hitting the receiver. So at least for the Ruger Scout, I'll give up the cat tail for a better cheek weld.