Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL in Stock 2 Question

So I have read about different OALs for Stock 2s and what works/doesn't. Here is my question, my gun has ran fine for about 2k rounds at 1.118-1.122, if I was to go to say 1.155 and my gun fed everything reliably what is the harm in pushing the boundary on a longer OAL if the gun feeds/ejects everything reliably? 

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've done the plunk test with my 1.122 rounds and the bullet spins just fine. Tried a 1.155 to see what would happen, case gauge and battery test was good but the bullet doesn't spin freely when dropped in the barrel. 

If it doesn't spin and drop free, the OAL is too long.   Issue is going to be that one or more times the gun does not go into battery and  you either waste time racking out the round or get it stuck hard.

Yea, you might need to go back to a smaller size...
Mine spins free just above 1.1 with round nose, so I aim for 1.1 with my loads. Every bullet profile will be different though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every bullet is different in it's allowable OAL to spin:

IMG_3075.thumb.GIF.738cdf7e3d893dbfad32b7611a781a0a.GIF

IMG_3076.JPG.5e8bc98981ca7a9918d9487c7b53611e.JPG

Conduct the plunk and spin test with the bullet you want to load at 1.165...1.160... 1.155... until a dummy chambers and spins freely.

Then load .005" or so shorter than that, and call it good.

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Beautiful, Memphis    :bow:

Great to use illustrations to demonstrate the issues.

Very simple to understand ....    :) 

Here, here.

MemphisMechanic  is a credit not only to himself, but to the entire forum. I recently purchased a Stock II (9mm) and have been perusing his Tanfo Bible. The wealth of information is staggering. Thanks for everything Memphis.

And, while I have you on the line, should I send my barrel off for reaming to allow for longer seating depths, or should I leave it be and simply seat to fit?

Also, will accuracy change if the throat is lengthened?

Thanks again. Mike.

Most of the times we spend $100+ for grips / Flatter Triggers etc etc ....... in my opinion spending $30/40 in a Barrel Ream is a must ...... you wouldn't believe how "picky" these Tanfo can become regarding to ammo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Here, here.

MemphisMechanic  is a credit not only to himself, but to the entire forum. I recently purchased a Stock II (9mm) and have been perusing his Tanfo Bible. The wealth of information is staggering. Thanks for everything Memphis.

And, while I have you on the line, should I send my barrel off for reaming to allow for longer seating depths, or should I leave it be and simply seat to fit?

Also, will accuracy change if the throat is lengthened?

Thanks again. Mike.

Accuracy is not affected when the barrel is properly reamed....... Loading short is like treating a symptom to a sickness, it cures one problem but doesn't fix the fact "leade" or freebore is not to spec. You can run into pressure issues when loading to short and cheat yourself out of being able to run a much wider range of ammo and projectiles.....

2 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

Accuracy is not affected when the barrel is properly reamed....... Loading short is like treating a symptom to a sickness, it cures one problem but doesn't fix the fact "leade" or freebore is not to spec. You can run into pressure issues when loading to short and cheat yourself out of being able to run a much wider range of ammo and projectiles.....

Thank you. 

I'll send my barrel down Monday.

I personally got tired of having to load short as well as have two Stock II's with different chambers. I'm going to try out PD's service as they have done good work for people I know.

Edited by Twinkie

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:05 PM, SoCalShooter69 said:

Ream your barrel. Cross-posting subforums won't solve your problem. 

Yep. 

Just mailed my Stock II barrel to Patriot Defense for reaming. I want to be able to load from around 1.125 out to 1.150, or so.

Is it always better to load as long OAL as possible? If my barrel accept 1.160" of one typ of flatpoint, do I loose a lot of accuracy if loaded to 1.100"? How does the "free flight" before touching the rifling really affect accuracy?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, tedahlenius85 said:

Is it always better to load as long OAL as possible? If my barrel accept 1.160" of one typ of flatpoint, do I loose a lot of accuracy if loaded to 1.100"? How does the "free flight" before touching the rifling really affect accuracy?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

It has been my experience to load as long as possible unless it becomes absolutely necessary to do otherwise, in which case I load as short as possible.

Accuracy is like going to the bathroom. At my age, close is good enough.

I hope I have been of some help.

9 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I   load as long as possible  unless  necessary to do otherwise,  then I load as short as possible.

Once I determine how long I can load (The Plunk Test), then I shorten it a bit,

and experiment with various lengths for accuracy and feeding.

I usually  don't  end up as LONG or as SHORT as possible.

So far, it's always been somewhere in between.    :) 

^ What that guy said. You have to work up a load at various OALs with various PFs and shoot groups with them all to find what your gun likes.

Often if you can load out to 1.160" for example, maximum accuracy is found around 1.125 or 1.135"

My (reamed) gun particularly likes a 135gr load I used to use, at 1.115" even though I could load it all the way out to 1.165" and there's no way to predict it. You have develop your load the old fashioned way.

If you have two identical guns, they'll usually reach maximum accuracy with different loads, too!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

50 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Once I determine how long I can load (The Plunk Test), then I shorten it a bit,

and experiment with various lengths for accuracy and feeding.

I usually  don't  end up as LONG or as SHORT as possible.

So far, it's always been somewhere in between.    :) 

40 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

^ What that guy said. You have to work up a load at various OALs with various PFs and shoot groups with them all to find what your gun likes.

Often if you can load out to 1.160" for example, maximum accuracy is found around 1.125 or 1.135"

My (reamed) gun particularly likes a 135gr load I used to use, at 1.115" even though I could load it all the way out to 1.165" and there's no way to predict it. You have develop your load the old fashioned way.

If you have two identical guns, they'll usually reach maximum accuracy with different loads, too!

Jack, Memphis,

I was actually being facetious at tedahlenius85's expense, but I always appreciate the info. 

My Stock II barrel will be back from PD tomorrow. Joe, and I, agreed that to suit my purposes he would ream the throat all the way. My intentions are, at the moment, to set my seating dies to produce an OAL of 1.135 inches.

After installing the springs, hammer, sear, and BOLO, (and obtaining killer trigger pulls) my only concern now will be light strikes on the primers. I'm going to try Winchester, and CCI to begin with. Federals are unavailable in my parts.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

I was being facetious at tedahlenius85's expense

I love humor, and "facetious", but it's best on a Forum like this,

where lots of newbies take some of our advice religiously,

to point out if you're being facetious - I usually use one of the

humorous emoji's to indicate that I'm being humorous.    :) 

I love humor, and "facetious", but it's best on a Forum like this,

where lots of newbies take some of our advice religiously,

to point out if you're being facetious - I usually use one of the

humorous emoji's to indicate that I'm being humorous.    [emoji4] 

I thought it was a good advice. Always wondered if it was ok to just release before reaching the toilet. Now I know I am not the only one. Thanks to that old timer!

7 hours ago, tedahlenius85 said:

I thought it was a good advice. Always wondered if it was ok to just release before reaching the toilet. Now I know I am not the only one. Thanks to that old timer!

My ex-wife used to gripe about me releasing early, but I digress. My barrel should be getting in today. Joe reamed it all the way out to New Jersey so I can load what ever I want. Like Memphis mentioned, I'll probably hover around that 1.125-1.135 mark.

• 2 years later...
On 5/4/2017 at 9:18 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Every bullet is different in it's allowable OAL to spin:

IMG_3075.thumb.GIF.738cdf7e3d893dbfad32b7611a781a0a.GIF

IMG_3076.JPG.5e8bc98981ca7a9918d9487c7b53611e.JPG

Conduct the plunk and spin test with the bullet you want to load at 1.165...1.160... 1.155... until a dummy chambers and spins freely.

Then load .005" or so shorter than that, and call it good.

Can MemphisMechanic please ID the source for this excellent information?  Thanks!!

20 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I would if I remembered it! I know someone told me where it was originally posted from a while back, and I’m guessing that was probably you. 😉

No, this is my first time on the forum -- I just registered.