Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need to re-zero red dot after taking on and off

ShootEm

I'm just starting out playing around with a red-dot sight on my Glock 34 MOS.   I installed a Leupold Delta Point Pro and thought I had it zeroed pretty well.   Then I removed it and put the MOS plate back on to shoot a Production match.   Today I put the red dot back on and I found the sight way out of alignment.   Is this normal?   This was a real bummer, as I was hoping to be able to take it on and off without having to zero every time.

Hhhmmmmm....  How far off is "way off"?  Yes, you should check and re-zero any time you remove any optic of any sort.  Having said that, while it's reasonable for it be off enough to require an adjustment, it shouldn't be "waaaaay off".  If it's super off, then that might be an indication that it wasn't properly attached either the first time it was zeroed or when it was reattached.  Maybe there was/is some debris underneath it, etc.  I can tell you that when I take my RTS2 on and off the picatinny rail of my steel rifle, the zero loss is unremarkable, and I'd think that a picatinny attachment would be a lot sloppier than a direct mount to a slide.

8 hours ago, ShootEm said:

thought I had it zeroed pretty well.  

Not sure what exactly that means    :huh:

You should not have any trouble determining if your gun is zero'd or not.

How much did the dot move after you replaced it?

Same question..do you have location pins for the plate and for the sight? The screws just hold it on. The pins locate it. 

Being a little off maybe, but way off...

I have removed my DP Pro several times from my milled slide. I always check, but it has never needed re-zero. 

I noticed the baseplate was loose, plus I haven't been using a torque wrench.   I tightened up and loc-tited the baseplate and everything looks solid now.   Hopefully this will take care of it.  

I just got a torque wrench, so I should be able to tighten the screws with more repeatability now.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.