Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to switch to 1050

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

So... what I'm gleaning from this is that the ultimate reloading press is a 1050 with a Hornady powder measure on it?

How hard would it be to make their measure work on a 650 or 1050 anyway...

Pretty easy, there's a current thread on exactly that in the Non-Dillon section right now.  Need to order up a few parts, that's it.

FedEx only delivered box 1 of 2, but 1050 is almost "in the house".  I bought a new batch of once-fired 9mm cases and darn if there aren't a decent number of swaged primers.  This really, really slowed things down during a 1500 round session.  My Lee decapper can knock the primers out, but the primer will only seat some of these; out comes the case with partially inserted primer, remove primer, throw case in the garbage (yes, I could run it through the 1050 but there is therapy involved).

• 3 months later...
On 11/18/2016 at 9:58 AM, Kraj said:

If all your loading is 9mm in bulk that's sounds perfect for a 1050. Do everything else on the lnl. 

This is what I do.  I have 2 LNL AP's that pre-dated my 1050.  My driving factor for moving to the 1050 was dealing with crimped 9mm range brass on the LNL.  Total frustration and manually removing the crimp is a PIA.  1050 is awesome, but I did have issues at the start with primers dropping out the bottom, but all these issues are gone now.

The LNL is still a good machine and I load 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 223 Rem. on them.  If I start doing more 223 stuff, I may think about a conversion kit since for me the bigget selling point on the 1050 is the integrated primer swage station.

One tip if you don't like the Dillon powder measure (I don't). 

You can run thw hornady but my favorite measure now is the new lee auto drum. Just as accurate as the hornady or rcbs drum type but cheap as dirt and has quick change drums so you can set one up for every load combination you want very cheaply ($15 for 4 drums). 

I run one one on my Dillon. :)

2 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

One tip if you don't like the Dillon powder measure (I don't). 

You can run thw hornady but my favorite measure now is the new lee auto drum. Just as accurate as the hornady or rcbs drum type but cheap as dirt and has quick change drums so you can set one up for every load combination you want very cheaply ($15 for 4 drums). 

I run one one on my Dillon. :)

Would like to hear more about your setup on the Dillon?  How are you handling case expansion/belling w/o the DiIllon PM?

The lee also has a powder through expanded funnel. 

Fortunately if you have any lee die sets they come with the lee powder die and funnel/expander (I use lee dies in all calibers as I prefer them to Dillon). 

replicating my setup requires:

Lee powder die with appropriate ptx insert (comes in the lee die sets or about $10 on its own)

2 x lee powder measure riser (stacked - gives more clearance around the tool head especially if using a bullet feeder) about $8 each

lee auto drum powder measure (comes with 2 drums)

spare lee quick change drums (4 pack about $15)

Auto drum $33 - http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-autodrum-powder-measure

Risers (get 2, $8) http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-powder-measure-riser

Spare drums $15 - http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-quick-change-drums

Powder through expanding die $11- http://www.titanreloading.com/pistol-reloading-dies/lee-pistol-powder-thru-expanding-die/9mm-powder-thru-expanding-die

about $75 fully decked out with enough drums to do 6 different powders/loads. Or $65 if you have a lee powder die kicking around. 

Since trying this my 2 complete Dillon measures just sit gathering dust. 

Its super easy to adjust. 

Very easy to switch out powders. Hopper has an off 'switch' then you just lift it off and dump the powder. Even removing the measure is easy with no bolts just a thumb wheel. 

Its also super accurate and amazingly consistent. 

Edited by BeerBaron

I'm fine with the Dillon powder measure with UniqueTek micrometer.  I only load 9mm, but load for at least four different guns, each with a different OAL and load.  The micrometers make life easy.  I bought a second powder measure setup since I'm loading for competition with both N320 (hers) and N340 (his).  I can switch in about 5 minutes.  I do check the powder load regardless but the UniqueTek has been very, very reliable with these powders.

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

Or, if you load a pistol caliber and never vary the load, the Lee Auto Disc measures are nice.  With the disc the load will never change.  They are about $38.00 at FS loading or Titan.

I have to be honest. For me the lee auto disk is no better than the Dillon. They both work the same way (sliding cavity) but the lee downside is no easy adjustment and only adjustable to the preset disk holes. Of those 2 I'd rate the Dillon measure better.

The lee auto drum is miles better and costs the same (or less) than the auto disk.

Its only downside is the small-ish hopper but it doesn't bother me. 

Being able to have a drum set for every load that you can switch in about 30 seconds is awesome. I much prefer it even to my Dillon with the uniquetek micrometer and it's way cheaper. 

I've got both and I like the auto drum for .223/5.56 and the discs for 9mm and .45 ACP.  I never change the pistol loads (until I run out of Australian Clays) so have no reason to ever change the disc.

But everyone has their favorites so use whatever floats your boat.