Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Process of caliber change

Acsr

Hey curious of the direction and process, materials and monetary investment required to have a9mm barrel put together for my current 38 super trubor.  will  not be a fun time hunting for brass in the snow in the coming months.  I have no direction for this process.  thanks for any  links to materials and references to make it happen. 

Well you would need

Barrel $250-300

Comp $180

Extractor $80 (aftec)

Labor $200 +/- depending what parts you buy.

I have heard of people shooting 9 out of a super barrel but that's up to you. You could also buy a lot of once fired super brass for the same money. But, I'm sure you'll get a return on your investment at some point. 9 Major is supposed to be pretty cheap compared to super.

Hello: Barrel will have to be fitted and reamed to fit 9mm. The combo barrel/comp setup works well and a little cheaper. 38 super comp and 9mm are the same Aftec extractor. You can make a standard extractor work as well. Once you try 9mm I think you will stick with it. Thanks, Eric

Try to shoot 9mm out of your gun first.  I had an open gun that would shoot 9mm, 38 super, and 38 super comp.  Start with minor 9mm, it will not hurt anything. no different than shooting 38 spc in a 357 or 45 acp in a Rowland conversion.  Just be sure to clean the chamber before you go back to super.  And if it doesn't work, it did not cost you anything to try

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: You can also try the Brazos Tru Bor barrel setup with his comp cut. I don't think I have any left with my comp cut on the Tru Bor blank right now. Just some other options for you. Thanks, Eric

Not sure what this means., are you a vendor, custom smith or have a bunch of spare parts, that you customize and sell ? Sorryfor my ignorance. I do see you post alot with helpful info, just know forum members by user name

Hello: I have some comps that I designed and build myself. I have built a couple of pistols as well. I try to help out where I can since we all start in the same place needing info and advice. I am just trying to give you some more options and then you can decide what will work for you. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0592.JPG

Edited by Aircooled6racer

It will not hurt your chamber, If it did just about every 357 mag in the world would have the chambers messed up from shooting 38s.  You will get a carbon ring at the end of the chamber that will need cleaned before you go back to supers, but cleaning is all it will need.  Your gun may not cycle 9s but trying them out won't hurt a thing.

Some people believe that shooting the 9 in a 38 chamber puts more impact on the breech face. Which adds additional stress to the slide. Dan Bedell suggested this to me when I had him change mine over. Actually had him build a new top end for me.

Trubor bbl and link send it to Gans for fitting and you're done. I would think 550-600.00. then you know it's right.

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Some people believe that shooting the 9 in a 38 chamber puts more impact on the breech face. Which adds additional stress to the slide. Dan Bedell suggested this to me when I had him change mine over. Actually had him build a new top end for me.

<snip>

I had the same experience with 9major in my 38SC.  To get PF you may have to push the load a bit, and I have indentations in the breechface from the primers being pushed outward before the case could move rearward (the case is held by the extractor only).  This isn't erosion but rather an indentation, doesn't seem to affect function but is a sign of pressure, I think.  Keep an eye on yours, just to see.  

It will not hurt your chamber, If it did just about every 357 mag in the world would have the chambers messed up from shooting 38s.  You will get a carbon ring at the end of the chamber that will need cleaned before you go back to supers, but cleaning is all it will need.  Your gun may not cycle 9s but trying them out won't hurt a thing.

This a partially true statement.. As always its about how many rounds you shoot through any gun.. with revolvers you can shoot 38spl or 38 short colts in a 357 cylinder.. the 38spl and short colts do eat away at the cylinder walls ruining the cylinder putting rings in the cylinder walls..

Im looking to covert my daughters 38super comp open gun.. to 9mm as well.. I got a price for 600.00

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not quite as simply as some have stated in this post

1. Most likely the lugs need to cut on a new barrel and fit to the slide

2. Unless you get a "drop In" barrel (na,na) .the hood length and hood rear sides will need to be fit

3.. Once your done with that, hopefully the comp/barrel/slide won't hit each other (some like .005 clearance) @ lock up).for the comp/slide

Pretty easy to see where the $600.00 figure comes from

On 11/2/2016 at 4:12 PM, RJH said:

Try to shoot 9mm out of your gun first.  I had an open gun that would shoot 9mm, 38 super, and 38 super comp.  Start with minor 9mm, it will not hurt anything. no different than shooting 38 spc in a 357 or 45 acp in a Rowland conversion.  Just be sure to clean the chamber before you go back to super.  And if it doesn't work, it did not cost you anything to try

9/38 and 38/357 headspace differently. One off the rim, one off the case mouth. The 9mm case is also tapered where the super is straight walled.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put a 9mm (major especially) in a chamber that wouldn't support it fully or correctly.

Edited by Mhall
ETA

10 hours ago, Mhall said:

9/38 and 38/357 headspace differently. One off the rim, one off the case mouth. The 9mm case is also tapered where the super is straight walled.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put a 9mm (major especially) in a chamber that wouldn't support it fully or correctly.

With the 9/38 super; while the 9 headspaces on the rim, the extractor will hold the case to the breach face.  As for the "fully supported chamber" while the 9 is tapered and the super is straight, if the 9 which is fatter at the base will chamber, how could it not be fully supported?  I only speak from actual experience with actual guns, not internet conjecture,  so if you are going to quote me please have some actual evidence to back up what you say, if you have proof that it will mess up the gun I will be glad to listen. 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

With the 9/38 super; while the 9 headspaces on the rim, the extractor will hold the case to the breach face.  As for the "fully supported chamber" while the 9 is tapered and the super is straight, if the 9 which is fatter at the base will chamber, how could it not be fully supported?  I only speak from actual experience with actual guns, not internet conjecture,  so if you are going to quote me please have some actual evidence to back up what you say, if you have proof that it will mess up the gun I will be glad to listen. 

OH... Is the extractor DESIGNED to hold the case against the breechface? NO!

Quote from Wikipedia:  If headspace is too large, the ammunition may not fit as intended or designed and the cartridge case may rupture, possibly damaging the firearm and injuring the shooter.

So can you put 9 in 38 Super chamber? sure.  Is it designed to work that way? NO.    You say " no different than shooting 38 spc in a 357" it is absolutely different, because 38/357 are DESIGNED to use the rim for headspacing, thus the possibility of rupture is significantly less.

I guess all of your actual experience with actual guns, makes you much smarter than the engineers who design this stuff.

Perhaps a forum like this isn't the right place to suggest things like this, nor do you need to belittle me for pointing out that it may not be safe.

I'm sorry if your ego is such that the idea of someone merely mentioning something to the contrary set you off, but we are all here sharing info. 

I would love to a straight walled case that ruptured because of headspace issues  in the guns that we are talking about , it might change my mind.  And as far as the SAAMI sheet, is any 9 major ammo loaded to anywhere near SAAMI specs?  Also way back in some post I mentioned the 45acp/460 Rowland, the guys who invented the Rowland said it was fine to shoot the acp in the Rowland chamber, which is a lot like shooting a 9mm in a super chamber (the extractor holds the case).  And my ego was not hurt, but I was sharing info that I have personally done, with no bodily injury and no gun issues, not what I read about.