Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let me have it!

SCTaylor

Some of you may have seen my Range Diary thread with details about the Gator Classic, which was my best match to date. Now I've got ideas on what I see to work on in training, but want your input.  One RO made the comment, "You're going to slow, you shot too many A's"; was that sarcasm or truth that I should push the speed a bit more? Anyhoo, any input is appreciated!

Gator Results.jpg

Video goes in the following order - Stage 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 - Did not get video of 1, 5 and 10.

20 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

5 mikes were stupid magazine related mistakes on my part, ie a CZ75 mag doesn't fit a large frame Tanfo. Fooled me twice at the end of stages...

This it the low hanging fruit:  gun issues, mag issues, and ammo issues are big distractions so take the time to prepare and shoot a clean match.

If you want to get faster don't rush your shooting and sacrifice points, do everything else faster (movement, reloads); I noticed three things in your dryfire video:  you're wearing sandals (if you're going to spend the time practicing, why not take the time to get dressed?); you only reload from your front mag pouch (the easy one); and the cadence of your dryfire is much faster than you shoot in real life (it seems like you're just making the gun go "click" rather than simulating a shot).

I think your biggest area for improvement is your movement:  don't take three steps when one will do, have your upper body ready to break the shot as your lower body arrives in the shooting position and be moving out as your last shot breaks, and move like your life depends on it between shooting positions.

I would not say you're "shooting too many As"

I'm not a match genius but I agree that there is a lot of "low hanging fruit" that isn't even related to your shooting. I noticed the same things as Atlas; reloads and movement are wide open for improvement.  I would say that once that stuff is improved, the shooting might be sped up a little.  Probably felt like you were blazing through the course, but that's why it's important to practice a lot of movement on the timer and then compare it to someone with good footwork and movement (I really like Max Michel's footwork, I ignore the shooting because that just ain't happening for me).  I have felt like I was doing great in filmed practices that weren't on the clock and then watched later and felt like I was watching a slow motion video (actually checked to make sure I was playing it at full speed).  The practice clock is your friend

Here's what I see-

1) Reloads on the move- both the speed of the reload itself and the confidence to do it while moving
2) Call your shots- as mentioned by others, don't look for the sunlight holes or go back to a target after you shot the array to put 1 more round on it before moving.
3) Movement - this is where you can make up lots of time. Move with authority to your next shooting spot and take as few steps as you need to get there. 

those 3 would be the ones I'd work on and don't change your actual shooting pace hitting alphas and see what happens.

Thank you all!

Scottie - What you noted, is pretty much what I had identified.  For the most part my shooting pace is mostly on par with A class guys - which I'm cool with and I don't want to mess with that right now.

• 5 weeks later...

You are rolling your shoulders forward and pressing the gun out as far as you can. Your elbows need to be bent so they absorb some of the recoil. I'm betting that would improve accuracy on your second shot.

Don't roll your shoulders and keep the gun closer in while you are shooting. It will also speed up your reloads.