Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a Caspian open gun

Garmil

Nice!

It looks like it is pretty much ready to roll - has a late generation frame, the nice front strap checkering, heavy dust cover, Trik Trigger, EGW mag well, C-more and mount (Cheely offset or ???).  The upper looks pretty solid.  Not as sexy as some of the stuff out there, but probably very functional.  

Do you know what generation mags it came with?  Any 170's?  The really good news is that MBX is now making 170mm and 140mm for the Caspian and LF Tanfos. I have a couple Caspian open guns and wanted to drop by the MBX table at the Nationals, but the damn hurricane got me preoccupied and I couldn't make the time to go there.  I have good mags for my guns, but will be ordering some of the MBX mags to give them a try. 

Heck yeah, I'd shoot the snot out of that gun!!

Edited by Bamboo

23 minutes ago, titandriver said:

Mike is a top-notch builder out of Chinook, MT and has been doing it a long time! I have a couple of his Limited builds and they are still going strong 13 years later!

Awesome guess I got lucky then!

I'll second the shoot it first and see how you like it advice.  Try some 121 or 124 bullets with Autocomp.  If you want softer shooting, try HS-6.  Anything slower than that will be harder on the hands, because the comp won't be able to vent all the gas before the bullet leaves.  The rest will jet out the front and increase felt recoil.  I have a 3-chamber comp similar to yours, except I have some side bleeder holes.  Using HS-6 you would think you were shooting a 22 if it were not for the loud, concussive bark.

I have a second Open gun with a 4-chamber, 5-port comp and two 3/16" poppels.  It takes more powder to make the same PF, plus it is a lot louder.  It shoots flatter, but not as soft.  People often tell me it recoils straight back.  I can see the dot rise, so it isn't dead flat.

Cutting the slide and adding holes in the barrel is not that expensive, but you can't go back.  So I would recommend you shoot someone else's poppeled pistol before you commit.  They really do feel and act a lot differently. 

22 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

You could also contact Mike and ask him for his recommendations - who is better equipped to make them, than the creator himself?  :)

He still in business? I did a search and didn't find much. Found a Facebook page with zero posts.

• 3 weeks later...

Took a while to get the gun in my hands. picked it up tonight and have a couple questions.

there is some wear on the left side of the slide and while looking at it i noticed the slide is not sitting centered in the dust cover and this is what caused the wear. the slide to frame fit feels good, locks up nice, and cycles smooth so i think any interference that was there isnt impacting anything now but still has me slightly worried.  is this something to worry about?

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

Edited by Garmil

The slide was poorly fitted to the frame. Gunsmiths usually use jigs that prevent this from happening. It is surprising that a gunsmith would release that kind of work as a gunsmiths career is based upon reputation. I do not believe that this will have any bad effects except for the wear that is experienced, as looking at the shape of the mags, it looks like the gun has had a lot of rounds run through it. The previous owner however, should have returned it to the smith and not accepted the gun in that condition right from the start. This should also have been disclosed when you made your purchase.

Thanks that makes sense.  I talked to the previous owner and he said he didn't notice it and that it had gone back to the builder for a tune up and it only has a few hundred rounds on it since then.

it bugs me but if it works I'll deal with it.  havent had a chance to shoot it much yet.  The wear on the gun doesn't match the age of the mags it seems to be in decent shape wear wise.

While the gap does look wider on the one side, could it be that the mount screws were a little long at one time?  Also, I would shoot the crap out of either way, while the fitting may not be perfect I have seen that type of rub on a lot of guns that shot fine.  Good luck