Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with my rusty Kidd viper

k1llapanda

Hey guys. I recently acquired a rusty Kidd viper in trade. I can't get it to run for the life of me. Have had a Smith look at it and change some stuff. Including 38 super to sc.

So here lies my problem. It will sometimes run perfectly. Sometimes have a ftf in a stage. And sometimes shoot bolt action for a full 32 rd stage.

The gun will shoot chambered round. Eject the brass and the slide will stop as soon as it hits the next round. Sometimes a little movement past there but not often.

I keep the gun clean and lubed. I use mbxmags or sti mags with grahams everything. The sti mags have been tuned.

The ammo used has changed a lot to try and see what will work. But nothing has thus far.

I use berry's Flat nose hollow base plated bullets. Cci magnum small pistol primers. Starline sc brass, and CFE pistol. It averages at about 170 pf using 7.6 gn and oal of 1.225. I have gone down. To 1.118-1.250 and recently upped the grain to 8 to see if it would help but it didn't and my chrono battery was dead upon arrival at range.

Supposedly the gun ran fine before i had it. But not since then. I have had the trigger and hammer cerakoted. And also switched to an enos flat bottom trigger. Which is only thingIs have changed. 8 lb spring. Beautiful fun accurate gun, when it works.

If anyone can help me out I will b forever in debt.

Thanks -jon

is it with one round left in the mag? if so, possibly trim your follower.

I had something like this happen when i dorked around with an optic mount - adding a new screw to include a thumb rest on a 90 degree mount. I would rack the slide, and it would stick back with no mag in the gun. Turns out the furthest back screw on the optic mount was sticking out into the frame, interfering with the recoil assembly.. i took the screw out, filed it down until flush, and the problem went away..

those are my 2 ideas..

"I have had the trigger and hammer cerakoted. And also switched to an enos flat bottom trigger. Which is only things have changed. 8 lb spring"

So if it ran before... and then you made these changes, may be related.

Try a stiffer recoil spring? Maybe it doesn't have enough oomph to get the round stripped? Were these the mags that came with it, or your own? Did you change anything about the mags compared to before?

is it with one round left in the mag? if so, possibly trim your follower.

I had something like this happen when i dorked around with an optic mount - adding a new screw to include a thumb rest on a 90 degree mount. I would rack the slide, and it would stick back with no mag in the gun. Turns out the furthest back screw on the optic mount was sticking out into the frame, interfering with the recoil assembly.. i took the screw out, filed it down until flush, and the problem went away..

those are my 2 ideas..

I did the same thing when I put the *thumb rest [generic]* on. Gunsmith filed em down but I am gonna take it off and see if any better. Thanks for a also it happens random. I can download the mag to 2-3 less then full. Still happens second shot tenth or 20th Edited by k1llapanda

Oal should be 1.235.

Explain slide stops as it hits the next round, so it is out of battery and the round never feeds into the chamber?

Yes. It just stays out of battery pushed up against the next round in mag. Most of time no movement.a nd I have been up and down the map with oal and have had 5 different people tell me diff oals Edited by k1llapanda

"I have had the trigger and hammer cerakoted. And also switched to an enos flat bottom trigger. Which is only things have changed. 8 lb spring"

So if it ran before... and then you made these changes, may be related.

Try a stiffer recoil spring? Maybe it doesn't have enough oomph to get the round stripped? Were these the mags that came with it, or your own? Did you change anything about the mags compared to before?

I have tried to change spring to 9&10. The mags came with the gun. Ran it for a while then had them retuned with all thr grahams parts. Then bought mbx mags

Oal should be 1.235.

Explain slide stops as it hits the next round, so it is out of battery and the round never feeds into the chamber?

Yes. It just stays out of battery pushed up against the next round in mag. Most of time no movement.a nd I have been up and down the map with oal and have had 5 different people tell me diff oals

maybe the extractor has too much tension on it or doesn't have enough bevel on the bottom edge of the hook so it won't let the round slide up underneath it.

also, the round below the round trying to enter the chamber supports the round trying to enter the chamber. If that round below is not tight up to the bottom of that round getting ready to chamber it won't feed right.

good luck

Flat nose? So is the round hitting the ramp and sticking there?

When it was running, was that the bullet being used?

yes yes yes. Haha. Same bullet.

Nosedive jam could be OAL or mag issues as well. Does it do it with all mags? When was the last time mag springs were replaced?

Atlas gunworks has an excellent YouTube video on resolving feeding issues.

I have had a Smith look at it again and he has messed with the feed ramp and extractor. I shot 100 rounds limp writing and super griping with zero malfunctions. Shot a match and had 1 or 2 malfunctions per stage. But it went farther into battery then before and happened less so it's mo betta haha. The Smith had to leave to shoot the infinity open so he told me to take out the forward spring I. Extractor and see how that goes. I will update when I shoot tomorrow.

I have used tuned sti mags and mbx mags. The mbx mags are all new and the sti mags have all grahams internals and pads within the past 3 months . Going to try a diff tuned sti mag tomorrow as well. I don't think it's an OAL issue as I have changed it up and down to no avail.

Try turning your over travel screw in alittle ,trigger is pushing the disconnect up when you have it pressed making it ride the disconnect rail on the slide slowing it down

Will try that thanks.