Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Use of Hard Cover on a USPSA Target

Mig

The part about "At least 25% of the lower A-zone, or the entire upper A-zone, must remain visible around hardcover or overlapping no-shoots" is clear.

My question is it allowed for both - Having both the upper A/B-zone AND the lower 25% A-zone available at the same time?

Yes, in an OR junction, one, the other, or both can be true to satisfy the condition.

What you're thinking of is XOR where it has to be only one or the other. There would have to be some language like "At least X, or Y, but not both."

Edited by amokscience

The part about "At least 25% of the lower A-zone, or the entire upper A-zone, must remain visible around hardcover or overlapping no-shoots" is clear.

My question is it allowed for both - Having both the upper A/B-zone AND the lower 25% A-zone available at the same time?

Would you ask the same question if the target was hardcovered from the bottom edge to the bottom edge of the A-zone? Or from both sides of the target to the respective edge of the A or C zone? (You know -- the vertically striped targets we see in some classifiers.)

What the rule is saying: If you cover the lower A zone completely, or in such a manner that less than 25% remain available, you need to leave the entire upper A available. You may leave more (i.e. both) A zones available, but not less than this minimum.

Shot a match at North Mountin last year where the hard cover was a latice pattern of black tape across the entire target, that made it a lot of fun.

while the pictured target seems unusual, it also seems practical and interesting. what you are describing seems less practical. Seems like it would introduce a large element of luck.
+1, once shot a stage with prisoner striped targets, strips of black electrical tape, almost impossible to call a shot, had to actuall look at target

I once set up 4 metric targets with a 3" black horizontal stripe across the middle at ~ 20yards. It was amazing how many people hit hardcover. And a few folks that were totally alien to the rules shot them 4 times: 2 in the upper part and 2 in the lower part. :rolleyes:

Edited by ChuckS

The target itself is legal---I kind of like it. Hmmmm---- setup is tomorrow for Saturdays match----

The only thing that would make it illegal is if they tried some sort of mozambique drill instruction in the WSB.

The target itself is legal---I kind of like it. Hmmmm---- setup is tomorrow for Saturdays match----

The only thing that would make it illegal is if they tried some sort of mozambique drill instruction in the WSB.

Feel free to paint up any targets you like, I learned from this crazy old coot that said hard "cover is too much work just use a no shoot it easier"