Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambi Short Throw Safety Recommendations?

jkrispies

The Elftmann safety is pretty freaking cool. Push the right side with your trigger finger (right handers) to disengage the safety and start shooting. Press the left side of the safety with your right thumb to engage it and make the gun safe

I don't suppose it's reversible for lefties?

We have 5 different arm styles available in ambi 90/45 selectorshttp://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222440

Is the 45 degree a drop in part for a standard receiver or does it require a specially designed short-throw receiver?
They work with any standard lower and the same selector can be used for 45 or 90 depending on how you install it. The markings on the receiver may not line up in 45 degree configuration exactly, that's all.
I bought a couple of KE ambi safeties, installed them, and really like them.

Excellent safety, glad I saw your thread, and bought some.

Edited by cactusbrew

We have 5 different arm styles available in ambi 90/45 selectorshttp://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222440

Is the 45 degree a drop in part for a standard receiver or does it require a specially designed short-throw receiver?
They work with any standard lower and the same selector can be used for 45 or 90 depending on how you install it. The markings on the receiver may not line up in 45 degree configuration exactly, that's all.
I bought a couple of KE ambi safeties, installed them, and really like them.

Excellent safety, glad I saw your thread, and bought some.

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for an ambi short throw safety selector that functions with my Hiperfire TH-24 trigger.

I tried the AXTS but found they were not compatible.

I know the Seekins is not compatible either. Was wondering if anyone has tried the B.A.D. Combo with a Hiperfire 24 series trigger.

jkrispies - are you running a Hiperfire 24 series trigger ?

It's encouraging to hear you can run the KE Arms safety with your Hiperfire trigger, but am surprised because the barrel looks like it has short throw cut outs that would interfere with the Hiperfire toggle spring frame which rides the barrel.

What is the attraction to the short throw safeties? Just curious. I use a plain-looking DPMS ambi, and use my thumb to switch it off, and my trigger finger to switch it on.

The dpms lever is the same one I had and the manipulsation technique is the sme I used as well. I won't go back. Now I ride and lift the safety exactly as if I'm shooting my 1911. Before I had to somewhat consciously manipulate safety, whereas now it's very intuitive. Bear in mind that I have waaaay more time running a 1911 than an AR so it may not be as big a deal for you if you've trained on the AR to the point that the normal safety is as second nature to you as the 1911 is natural to me.

The levers on the Seekins are quite a bit larger and more aggressive than BAD. The BAD also has several lever options in size, type, & length. After several outings I've decided to go back to the BAD. No knocking the function or quality, just not comfortable for me.

I have a real need for one. I'm running an FRS stock which moves my grip position further from the safety. Reaching it with my thumb to flip it to fire can be done, but then the lever is too far for me to reach it with the same thumb to pull it back to safe. The short throw leaves the lever at an angle I can reach to switch back to safe.

I ordered 2 of the KE safeties and really like them. I have one being used with a Hyperfire 24c and it works perfectly. I put a JP roller trigger on my other rifle and that did require me to file the safety a bit to get the lever back to level on "safe". An easy 5 min project and now the detent completely engages when on "safe".

What is the attraction to the short throw safeties? Just curious. I use a plain-looking DPMS ambi, and use my thumb to switch it off, and my trigger finger to switch it on.

I find with a standard selector I have to move my thumb forward and bend it a bit to hook the selector lever consistently, and, with not terribly large fingers, the long length of travel from fire to safe requires me to pay close attention to safing my rifle. I even had a near-DQ at a match last year when the selector ended up not all the way onto safe in a dump barrel (though, fortunately, the RO tested it and showed it to be engaged "enough" that I didn't go to Dairy Queen that day).

I just put a KE ambi short-throw over a Timney trigger on a build I did for my brother. With the KE, putting the rifle on safe is as natural as putting a 1911 on safe—just lift my thumb up. So, in my case, I find the short-throw makes putting the rifle on safe a more natural and consistent operation. I plan on converting my game gun to a KE ambi short-throw.

• 2 months later...

I got one of these about a month ago and I like it. It is faster for me to turn back on. The one down side is the safety moves in the opposite direction on my rifle then on the shot gun. Not normally a big deal for me,

I shoot unlimited but definitely something to think about when dumping a gun because rifle being safety on with index finger and shot gun safety on with thumb.