Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 sights for bi focals

ronn

Got a sp-01 in 40 to shoot IDPA with. It came with 3 dot white sites. Is their something I can change to to better see the sights If I look through the bi focals, perfectly clear but not when I look at the target.

I run the ones from CGW; there are quite a few choices out there. I suggest that you might want to look at getting a pair of shooting glasses made that have the sight distance prescription on the dominant eye, and a distance one for the other. It really helped when I switched.

I use simple reader glasses for precision target shooting so I can see the sights instead of bifocals. I use the lowest magnification that lets me see both sights reasonably clear so the target isn't too blurry. Maybe take out the one lens (non-dominant eye) for distance. Best if your readers are also safety glasses. Even before I had to wear glasses either the sights or the target would fuzz out depending on which I was focusing. I'm not sure it is possible to keep everything in focus simultaneously even with young eyes.

Edited by rhart123

I use ANSI spec shooting glasses set for my distance prescription. I use a stick on diopter (mine is +1.25) placed upside down at the top edge of my right lens. If I tilt my head sown slightly I can clearly see the front sights and the targets are not too blurry to aim at. The advantage is I can still see at distance, and I can run and the ground is not fuzzy.

I use my everyday trifocals, with the stick-on diopter at the top edge of my dominant-eye lens like zzt says. It works surprisingly well. One day I'd like to get a prescription with the right lens ground for perfect front-sight clarity. But until that happens, the stick-on works.

http://optx2020.com/p-38-hydrotac-stick-on-bifocal-2-pair-offer-available-for-consumer-purchase-only.aspx

As for sights - I use the stock rear sight (Shadow) with a .100" Dawson black front sight. The combo works nice for me. The gun came with a fiber optic front sight, but I didn't care for it. I found it distracting and went to the old-school black front sight.

Edited by Jeff Matzka

My optician prescribed 0.75 lenses for my shooting.

I use 1.75-2.0 for reading, but have perfect sight at distance

I've been using them for a little over a week, it's awesome

Makes sense; normally you add somewhere between + 0.50 and +1.25 to your distance prescription on your dominant eye for good front sight focus and

then just use your distance prescription for your non-dom eye.

It is possible to go too strong on the front sight. You still need to see a reasonable image of the target.

Reading glasses are generally a little too strong.

I am quite short-sighted and normally use multifocals. Single vision lenses as above are what I use for pistols (and also cheaper).

Single vision lenses also mean your head angle is not as critical.

I am really not keen on bifocals or stick on lenses for shooting.

Then just whatever sights you prefer.

Edited by BMaus

I run the ones from CGW; there are quite a few choices out there. I suggest that you might want to look at getting a pair of shooting glasses made that have the sight distance prescription on the dominant eye, and a distance one for the other. It really helped when I switched.

This is good advise. My shooting glasses have one lense that makes the front sight clear and another that makes distance clear. Your brain compensates meaning you get the best of both worlds.

This is good advise. My shooting glasses have one lense that makes the front sight clear and another that makes distance clear. Your brain compensates meaning you get the best of both worlds.

This ^

I had Morgan optical make me a set of shooting glasses for trap shooting and one for pistol shooting. The pistol lens are a happy medium between seeing the sights and still being able to see the target clearly out to 25 yards.

Thumbs up for Morgan Optical. I bought RE frames from them about 10 years ago. The frames are still in perfect condition and I get new prescription inserts from Morgan for them every couple of years.

You need to send Morgan your prescription. Once you have that you can also order spare glasses online e.g. from 39dollarglasses.com