Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MKA 1919 XN vs BR-99

LoganbillJ

We received a BR-99 Friday, so we immediately tore it down to see how it compares to the MKA.

First off it appears that there have been a few improvements over the MKA's forend design. The BR-99 has a much sturdier one piece forend as well as the obvious bonus of a picatinny rail on top.

post-49143-0-56285100-1382394570_thumb.j

Another improvement would be the folding feed ramps. This allows the user to remove the bolt without the need to remove the lower. Pictures of both feed ramps up and down as well as a top view.

post-49143-0-40199600-1382394597_thumb.j

post-49143-0-12164100-1382394674_thumb.j

post-49143-0-67223200-1382394769_thumb.j

After tear-down we began comparing parts from the BR-99 and both versions of the MKA. The bolt and bolt carrier from the BR-99 are from the Pre-XN MKA. The pre-XN gun had an offset on the bolt carrier just the same as the BR-99 Bolt Carrier shown below.

post-49143-0-87878800-1382394788_thumb.j

The drive block from the BR-99 is an exact copy of the Pre-XN drive block with the exception of the slot milled in the top side. I assume this was done to try to avoid the fractures that were common on the Pre-XN model guns.

post-49143-0-64249100-1382394811_thumb.j

The gas block location was also a shock. The BR-99 gas block location is the same as the Pre-XN barrel. Below, from top to bottom: Pre-XN, BR-99, then XN.

post-49143-0-80902200-1382394876_thumb.j

The bolt handle is identical to the pre-XN bolt handle as well. Below, front to back: XN bolt handle, BR-99, then the Pre-XN.

post-49143-0-03907300-1382394895_thumb.j

The butt pads are different on the stocks, both in construction and mounting. While the BR-99 looks like it would have a better recoil pad due to its size, it is actually harder than the MKA pads. The majority of the BR-99 butt pad is actually a hollow construction over-molded in rubber giving the illusion of a thicker pad.

post-49143-0-51032800-1382394905_thumb.j

Thankfully BR-99 does not use the pre-XN plastic trigger group. The triggers themselves are not much different between the XN and BR-99. The biggest difference would be the thickness of the dis-connector and profile of the hammer.

BR-99 Dis-connector: 0.137”

XN Dis-connector: 0.117”

The hammer profile differs where the hammer contacts the bolt carrier as well as having a smooth radius on the lower portion of the hammer. Pictures below of the Pre-XN hammer, BR-99, then XN hammer. Then the lower portion of the BR-99 and XN hammer.

post-49143-0-49117500-1382394971_thumb.j

post-49143-0-78065400-1382394982_thumb.j

Another difference is the BR-99 stuck with the original uncaptured spring for the safety detent. This makes dis-assembly much more of a chore and more small parts to lose.

I am sure I left something out. If you want any pictures of anything else let me know. As of now most all of the MKA parts will interchange with the BR-99. Exception being grip adapter and stock adapter. Construction of the lower prevents the use of existing parts. We currently are not really impressed by the "improvements" made.

Edited by LoganbillJ

Test firing is done, here was the process and why.

Originally we were going to start with 1300FPS, but the MKA XN , will run those about 99.8% right out of the box. And since the BR is advertised as having an IMPROVED gas system, we figured start them both on 1200FPS.

Shells the NEW Winchester Universal 1200 FPS bulk pack from Walmart.

Firing 5 rounds each from factory mags, switching mags after every 5 rounds, to eliminate any mag related problems.

This test was performed with the 2 guns we had here in the shop. Each gun is slightly different and your results may vary.

Results

MKA 1919XN; (NIB) We fired 25 rds total

1st Mag: 1 Failure to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

2nd Mag: 1 Failure to Feed

3rd Mag: 1 Failure to Feed

4th Mag: 100%

5th Mag: 100%

All failure to feeds were on the first rd of each mag.

BR-99; (Roughly 5 rds previously fired from owner) We fired 50 rds total

1st Mag: 5 Failures to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

2nd Mag: 5 Failures to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

3rd Mag: 4 Failures to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

4th Mag: 3 Failures to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

5th Mag: 1 Failure to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

6th Mag: 3 Failures to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

7th Mag: 2 Failures to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

8th Mag: 3 Failures to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

9th Mag: 2 Failures to Feed, 1 Failure to Lock Back

10th Mag: 1 Failure to Lock Back

The BR-99 gas system has been improved from the Pre-XN MKA but it still takes a much longer break-in period than the newer XN model MKA. The XN MKA is the obvious choice for out of the box reliability.

One thing we forgot.

The BR safety is the same as the Pre-XN, a set screw with a, UN-captured spring and ball, no big deal, it does operate somewhat harder. and you must be more careful with dis-assembly as to not lose the spring, ball, or set screw. 3 small parts to keep track of.

It can be easily changed out for a captured one, and smoother operation.

• 2 months later...

ok first off

I bought a Br 99 in late September an right out of the box this gun unlike what you are saying performed great with Winchester super speed 2.75 shells 1350fps,Remington sluggers 2.75 shells 1225fps an a few other shells,the only problem I've had is the 10rd magazines which I used some electrical tape to keep the mag in place I've had a few stove pipes an few failure to feed problems with the 10rd magazines but not one problem with the standard 5rd mags this is a easy to disassemble it takes just a screwdriver an a allen head socket takes just a few minutes an your done,I've shot over 2000rds through my gun an have nothing bad to say about it other than the magazines need a little bit of work done on them. I don't have a mka so I couldn't say if it performs better than the br 99 but to the review of the br 99 an shooting 50rds I think your full of crap an no nothing about shooting a gun I mean come on a failure to feed an a failure to lock on every 5rd mag thats hard to believe.check my videos out on YouTube I have ten on my channel of this gun shooting different ammo an more to come soon

Using proper grammar and punctuation might give a little more credence to your opinions if you are blasting someone else who is actually reporting the results of physical testing. Just saying...... :closedeyes:

That and a hell of a first post....it has "TROLL" written all over it...

ok first off

I bought a Br 99 in late September an right out of the box this gun unlike what you are saying performed great with Winchester super speed 2.75 shells 1350fps,Remington sluggers 2.75 shells 1225fps an a few other shells,the only problem I've had is the 10rd magazines which I used some electrical tape to keep the mag in place I've had a few stove pipes an few failure to feed problems with the 10rd magazines but not one problem with the standard 5rd mags this is a easy to disassemble it takes just a screwdriver an a allen head socket takes just a few minutes an your done,I've shot over 2000rds through my gun an have nothing bad to say about it other than the magazines need a little bit of work done on them. I don't have a mka so I couldn't say if it performs better than the br 99 but to the review of the br 99 an shooting 50rds I think your full of crap an no nothing about shooting a gun I mean come on a failure to feed an a failure to lock on every 5rd mag thats hard to believe.check my videos out on YouTube I have ten on my channel of this gun shooting different ammo an more to come soon

Dude that is a bit harsh even if you disagree with the man. Come on its Christmas lets all get along.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

We received a BR-99 Friday, so we immediately tore it down to see how it compares to the MKA.

First off it appears that there have been a few improvements over the MKA's forend design. The BR-99 has a much sturdier one piece forend as well as the obvious bonus of a picatinny rail on top.

attachicon.gifForends.jpg

Another improvement would be the folding feed ramps. This allows the user to remove the bolt without the need to remove the lower. Pictures of both feed ramps up and down as well as a top view.

attachicon.gifFeed Ramps Up.jpg

attachicon.gifFeed Ramps Folded (top).jpg

Do you have a pic of the whole gun. I must be living under a rock as I have not heard of the BR-99. Glad to see more options for mag fed shotguns out there but still love my R&R Saigas. Take care.

pat

If you read my post I explained which shells were used "Winchester Universal 1200 FPS bulk pack from Walmart" The test was done on two guns MKA NIB, the BR-99 had a few rds through it from the owner. This was a completely unbiased test done for those who wanted to know a little more about the guns. We used lower power shells because I knew the MKA would run on them straight out of the box.

The test was done to compare the BR99's "Improved gas system" to the XN model MKA's. We did this test because we had customers asking questions about them so we decided to investigate further. (at the time they were a cheaper alternative to the MKA) Above are the results of the test. I build and shoot these shotguns for a living. The review I posted above is both my personal and professional opinion of the gun. Given the option of both I would chose the MKA hands down.

Of course an MKA, or MKA knockoff will be more reliable with 1,350 fps ammo vs 1,200 fps, crappy ammo the O.P. used for testing. :surprise:

I'm pretty sure that both recommend higher velocity ammo, especially during "break in".

LOGANBILLJ: Thanks for the post/information! :cheers:

I just blew up another Red Dot on my MKA 1919 I think this one is a third generation. We were shooting clays and I took the opportunity to put the MKA thru its paces. First off I have 4 10rd factory mags and the gun performed flawlessly with1255 FPS Shur Shot Rem. I just kept pulling the trigger and it kept going bang. Next up the 5rd factory mags, on ran fine the other one produced failures to feed as well as light hammer strikes. To this I say GO FIGURE. To say it is an odd beast is correct. Now finding a Red Dot that is tough enough to hang on it is another issue.

Barska 50 mm tube red dot lasted 5 rounds, the Weaver Mini Red dot well, it lasted about 25 rounds then went to shutting its self off and finally the true death. Life time warranty its going back to them, till they get sick of fixing it and buy it from me.

I just blew up another Red Dot on my MKA 1919 I think this one is a third generation. We were shooting clays and I took the opportunity to put the MKA thru its paces. First off I have 4 10rd factory mags and the gun performed flawlessly with1255 FPS Shur Shot Rem. I just kept pulling the trigger and it kept going bang. Next up the 5rd factory mags, on ran fine the other one produced failures to feed as well as light hammer strikes. To this I say GO FIGURE. To say it is an odd beast is correct. Now finding a Red Dot that is tough enough to hang on it is another issue.

Barska 50 mm tube red dot lasted 5 rounds, the Weaver Mini Red dot well, it lasted about 25 rounds then went to shutting its self off and finally the true death. Life time warranty its going back to them, till they get sick of fixing it and buy it from me.

I ruined a Burris Fast Fire 2 on my Saiga. Switched to an Aimpoint Micro which held up fine but I wanted a different mount than the AImpoint could work with so went to a Delta point which has held up for 2 or 3 seasons so far. Lost track.

Pat

CocoBolo, you've been around long enough to know better than to put that junk on an open gun!!!

Weaver generally makes good stuff, I've shot several truck loads of deer using a Weaver 4x from the 1960's on a 30-06. One of my 3 gun rifles has their 1x3 and it won a 3-Gun match on Saturday and on Sunday in the first stage the lens came lose, it went back and it has been rock solid for 3 years.

Next up on the Akdal is the EO Tech, I just need to take it off my Rifle put the new Burris MTAC on the Rifle.

I know you need good stuff, just need to save up some money and do the right thing.

CocoBolo, you've been around long enough to know better than to put that junk on an open gun!!!

Weaver generally makes good stuff, I've shot several truck loads of deer using a Weaver 4x from the 1960's on a 30-06. One of my 3 gun rifles has their 1x3 and it won a 3-Gun match on Saturday and on Sunday in the first stage the lens came lose, it went back and it has been rock solid for 3 years.

Next up on the Akdal is the EO Tech, I just need to take it off my Rifle put the new Burris MTAC on the Rifle.

I know you need good stuff, just need to save up some money and do the right thing.

Both my Akdals have Aimpoint micros on them and so far no issues and the first one has pretty much been turned on since I got it almost two years ago...

Micros can be found used for ~$450 if you're not in a hurry, and just over 500 new.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They seem to be having a firesale on everything they have and import...

this is just a guess,

no info,

not starting a rumor,

but when I see this,

in the past it has been financial troubles,

going out of business,

not importing anymore, etc.

Edited by ramairthree

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up with one of them for 400$.

Actually for my son.

right out of the box with no lube and no cleaning,

zero issues with 50 rounds Walmart federal champion low brass, 25 Walmart Winchester low brass,

25 SandB buck shot I have had laying around for ever.

The Fiocchi low recoil slugs shoot about 4 inches low and a little right at 25m,

and dead on elevation, right one inch at 50m. Closest out of box I have had a shot gun throw slugs.

They did not cycle, they were single shots.

He likes the hell out of it.

Heard the factory ten rounders from cheaper than dirt need work,

any tips on what to do to them to make them function appreciated.