Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropping Mags to the Ground

40S&W

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be a waste of time, but it is also one of the many competition rules in the sport. IDPA considers that a "speed reload" becasue the gun is not empty. If the gun is empty and the magazine is empty, then you may leave the empty mag behind.

Come on people, IDPA is a game, just like USPSA. In a real life situation, no one is going to slide lock if possible. Maybe the 'Tiger Team' will change this rule.

I have never been in a gun fight, however I can't imagine NOT ending up at slide lock... I don't think I will have the presence of mind to change mags before that.

Great question. I think this is one of those rules that the Tiger Team should hopefully void - doesn't really make much sense.

Why does IDPA require that a empty mag be stowed if the mag is empty but a round remains in the chamber? To me it makes no sense to stow an empty mag just a waste of time.

+1

Come on people, IDPA is a game, just like USPSA. In a real life situation, no one is going to slide lock if possible. Maybe the 'Tiger Team' will change this rule.

I have never been in a gun fight, however I can't imagine NOT ending up at slide lock... I don't think I will have the presence of mind to change mags before that.

'Zactly. Accoding to sources, round counting ability goes out the window when bullets are inbound. You likely wouldn't know if the mag was empty or not unless the slide locked back.

If you allow 10 and dump, then you're removing this attempt to keep some realism in the sport.

This is a very interesting question. Many if not all the shooters I compete with have also pondered this requirement. Often the responses brought forth attempt to interpret the motivation of the "writers of the rules"

My take is that we are participating in an activity that has specific rules and that if we desire to participate, we must adhere to these rules. No more no less.

Now I recently dusted off my rule book in preparation for my upcoming SO class and low and be hold I could not find any documented reference to "round counting". In fact, appendix TWO, page 41 states:

NOTE: Should the CoF call for a Tac-Load and the magazine is

empty while a round remains in the chamber, the empty magazine

must be retained.

NOTE: HQ urges course designers to draft scenario courses that

do not require tac-loads or reloads with retention to be performed

“on the clock”.

So I pondered this for a moment. It states that the empty mag must be retained if the COF requires a Tac-load or a RWR.

After a bit more investigation, I found the answer I was seeking.:

Page 79 glossary:

Reload, Speed or Slide Down: Recharging the gun when there is

a round in the chamber by:

Dropping the partial magazine on the ground.

Drawing a spare magazine.

Inserting the spare magazine into the gun.

Leaving the partial or empty magazine behind.

NOTE: There is NO provision for the speed reload in IDPA

competition.

Leaving a partial OR empty magazine behind while there is a round in the chamber is not a recognized acceptable IDPA reload.

So once again, a round in the chamber and a magazine on the ground is not an acceptable IDPA reload.

So, what is either tactical or practical about hanging onto an empty mag?? It sure seems that the IDPA rules were written by a bunch of old instructors with nothing better to do. The Tiger Team has a lot of work to do, and this is only one example.

Most sports/activities/combat practice evolve, as well as the relevant rules/guidelines/procedures. So while we do have to adhere to IDPA's rules if we wish to keep shooting IDPA, it's great that folks raise these types of questions, as the rules do need to be tweaked periodically to ensure that the sports stays as competitive/authentic/true to its purpose/spirit/etc as possible.

Most sports/activities/combat practice evolve, as well as the relevant rules/guidelines/procedures. So while we do have to adhere to IDPA's rules if we wish to keep shooting IDPA, it's great that folks raise these types of questions, as the rules do need to be tweaked periodically to ensure that the sports stays as competitive/authentic/true to its purpose/spirit/etc as possible.

And ya know... part of it may not be related to the "guidelines/principles"... but to the practical administration of a game...

Just from the standpoint of an SO running after a shooter, watching fingers and muzzles and use of cover -- to have to take his eyes off the gun and make a mental note each time a mag hits the ground when the gun isn't at slidelock to be sure that mag is empty... or to go back after the COF and inspect each mag on the ground... It's a lot easier to watch that either the gun is at slidelock or the mag gets stowed.

Erich,

If you can read this thread and still not get it, then IDPA is probably not for you. But I suspect you didn't read much.

Koski

I have been known to shoot a little IDPA and I don't "get" the rule either.

If you drop your mag after 10 shots in the game then you are training to drop your real magazine with rounds still in it.

Actually it seems to me that it is getting people accustomed to dropping the magazine when they go to slide lock. That has no bearing to how many rounds you have in the handgun. Simple reaction to stimuli, so when the slide locks back you respond by reloading. Whatever situation you might find yourself in this is a good thing to do. :)

So, what is either tactical or practical about hanging onto an empty mag?? It sure seems that the IDPA rules were written by a bunch of old instructors with nothing better to do. The Tiger Team has a lot of work to do, and this is only one example.

Simple answer is that autos require magazines to be more that single shot firearms practically. If you drop all of your magazines and never hold onto at least one a situation might arise where you would want to reload a magazine so that you are not left with just putting a round in the handgun, firing and repeating the process.

As long as you have other magazines on you keeping a particular one does not seem to be important. Being at a point where you have no other magazines on you but the empty one in the handgun, holding on to that last magazine then becomes clearly important.

Take from that whatever you will, as I believe that you can find good reasons yourself. :)

<< You don't have to agree with it, just understand the reasoning behind it. >>

Actually it is ok to shoot IDPA, not like the rule, not understand the reason behind it, and bitch about it whenever you feel like it. Joining/competing in IDPA does not automatically cancel your 1st Amendment rights nor is there a section in the membership agreement that forbids you from expressing your opinion.

Edited by Bob Hostetter