Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for left handed shooting standard ARS?

shake55

What are lefties doing with this? Im Ambi but left eye dominant. Shoot a standard handgun left handed well, long guns are different. Presently I close my left eye when engaging targets and keep working things right handed. Works fine but the closing the dominant eye takes time to refocus weak eye and the less situational awareness. Can engage immediate target fine just adds extra step. What are other lefties doing?

I shoot left handed and have amb. selectors on my rifles. Shoot optics with both eyes open and can track the surrounding situation.

Some courses of fire work out real well being left handed!

how hard is it to get used to the standard bolt release and mag release position?

I shoot left handed and have amb. selectors on my rifles. Shoot optics with both eyes open and can track the surrounding situation.

Some courses of fire work out real well being left handed!

how hard is it to get used to the standard bolt release and mag release position?

I use a Norgon ambi mag release. I can reach it easily with my trigger finger though it takes a bit of practice to hit it. I am thinking of drilling it and tapping it for a larger button. Before I installed it, I would grab a new mag with my right hand then push the mag release with my right thumb before inserting the new mag. As for the bolt release, I try not to run the rifle dry. If that fails I just yank on the charging handle.

I use and ambi-safety. I hit the bolt release with my trigger finger. For the mag release I use cinched mags - grab the mags with the right hand and hit the release with the thumb and switch over. I also use a Stag lefty gun, although its not necessary its nice not have brass in my vision.

The bolt release is in a better place for a lefty than a righty. We use the tip of our trigger finger... Righties... well, there's a reason Magpul's BAD exists. ;)

Presently I'm hitting the mag release with the right hand on the way down to the spare. I'd love a Norgon, but that's a lot of money for a little button. I did switch to the ambi-safety since I practically got one for free, but had no trouble flipping the lever with a curled trigger-finger before installing it.

I also think it's easier for a lefty to work the charging handle with the rifle shouldered. I roll the gun outwards until the handle will clear my cheek, make a fist with my left hand, hook the latch with my index finger and cycle the bolt, then roll the gun back into place and get my firing grip again.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Presently I'm hitting the mag release with the right hand on the way down to the spare. I'd love a Norgon, but that's a lot of money for a little button.

Yeah, I was cringing as I ordered it. In relative terms of what I have spent on my AR it was not that much but it is a lot of money for such a small part.

I don't use any ambi controls. I sweep the selector off with my trigger finger. I use my trigger finger for the bolt release, use right thumb for mag release. If you use coupled mags, start with the spare on the left side grab the mag in the gun with your right hand and hit the release at the same time pop it down, over and up in with the fresh one.

The bolt release is in a better place for a lefty than a righty. We use the tip of our trigger finger... Righties... well, there's a reason Magpul's BAD exists. ;)

Presently I'm hitting the mag release with the right hand on the way down to the spare. I'd love a Norgon, but that's a lot of money for a little button. I did switch to the ambi-safety since I practically got one for free, but had no trouble flipping the lever with a curled trigger-finger before installing it.

I also think it's easier for a lefty to work the charging handle with the rifle shouldered. I roll the gun outwards until the handle will clear my cheek, make a fist with my left hand, hook the latch with my index finger and cycle the bolt, then roll the gun back into place and get my firing grip again.

I'm cross-dominant (right handed but left eye dominant), and I shoot pistols right handed and rifle/shotgun left handed. I operate my AR the same way MemphisMechanic does, except I still use the standard safety. I keep my thumb on the left side of the grip after flicking off the safety.

I grew up shooting long guns right handed and switched when I started shooting ARs. It does not take as long to retrain yourself to shoot left handed as you'd think, and it's well worth it.