Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Trigger?

Macca

I have an STI Targetmaster which I'm starting to get working for me, but the one thing on the gun I really can't be happy with is the long curve nylon trigger. There is a fair amount of vertical and horizontal play in it, even with some of the slack taken up, and quite frankly it is having some effect on when my shot breaks.....

I've done trigger work before, but not on a 1911, but I'm sure I can competently fit a new trigger. Any suggestions from those with experience on whats the good stuff? I'm thinking maybe an oversize blank or something I can fit/tune?

are you just looking for a new trigger to get the slop out, or are you looking for something with a different trigger shoe shape?

something to remove the slop...shoe shape is fine.

what is important is that I have a smooth consistent pull that doesn't divert my attention from my focus of picturing my bullets striking the centre of the targets. For me...a gritty or sloppy trigger is a distraction that causes me to lose focus....answer: remove the sloppy trigger

Edited by Macca

I have an STI Targetmaster which I'm starting to get working for me, but the one thing on the gun I really can't be happy with is the long curve nylon trigger. There is a fair amount of vertical and horizontal play in it, even with some of the slack taken up, and quite frankly it is having some effect on when my shot breaks.....

I've done trigger work before, but not on a 1911, but I'm sure I can competently fit a new trigger. Any suggestions from those with experience on whats the good stuff? I'm thinking maybe an oversize blank or something I can fit/tune?

You can try to rebuild the missing fiber with some product for it that you can find on Brownells. Sometime i done it with a black acraglass glue na di got good result, but if you dont have time and a good capacity in hand job may be its better to buy a new one to avoid to waste time and $$$. ;)

Try the SV bow and insert. You'll definitely have to fit it as it is oversize. I don't have experience with any other triggers though.

Yep. On all of mine I've had to run the trigger over sandpaper (wet) on a flat piece of wood to get them to fit properly. The nice thing is you can get them so they don't bind at all, but have no real play. R,

Try the SV bow and insert. You'll definitely have to fit it as it is oversize. I don't have experience with any other triggers though.

Yep. On all of mine I've had to run the trigger over sandpaper (wet) on a flat piece of wood to get them to fit properly. The nice thing is you can get them so they don't bind at all, but have no real play. R,

Every trigger needs to be fitted STI or SVI that you prefere. The way G-ManBart suggest you is a safe way ;) ..... i usually done this job with my dremel :goof::D

After you fit the trigger make damn sure the bow shape hasn't been comprimised. I screw with several mags in frustration only to realize the bow wasn't perfectly seated in the slots and binding the mags.

Brownells sells a 1911 Auto Trigger Stirrup Die, basically a mandrel that fits inside the trigger bow. Insert that, lay something over the sides of the trigger bow (I use a flat piece of hard plastic), tap on the plastic so it mashes and reshapes the metal of the trigger bow between plastic and steel, voilà! you have a properly shaped trigger bow.

http://www.brownells...GER_STIRRUP_DIE

I can get my hands on a trigger stirup die and other gunsmithing tools for the 1911...no problem.

I tried to order the SV triglide system but being from Australia Brownells is giving me a DDTC restriction, so I'll source one locally.

Thanks guys

I like the Greider V-series, which are apparently made on the old Videki tooling. They come in solid and ventilated styles.

My personal favorite is the Greider Medium Solid. I've found it to be the best shape and size/LOP for me.

I won't do a trigger install on a 1911 myself but the one I prefer is the Hilton Yam 10-8 solid straight trigger.

When I had Wilson build my CQB Elite I had sent them both the curved and the straight Hilton Yam solid triggers and I can swap them out easily. I started with the straight, tried the curved for a little while then went back to the straight. From now on, I will either have a smith install the Yam straight solid trigger if I get a used gun or have them build it with it from the start if I order one.

Good Luck, Later, Lumpy.