Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanting to buy a new STI single stack

Corey

I am planning, pending sale of a couple things, to buy a new STI Single stack pistol. I am most likely going to buy from a place like Brazos, have a little custom work done on it at the time of purchase and then shoot the living hell out of it :)

I have narrowed my search down to 2 options, the Spartan and the Trojan. I guess i need a little encouragement from current/past owners on which model to pursue. Here are the pros/cons i can see and why Im having this dilema.

I like the price of the Spartan, but it does not have a lot of the features i like from the Trojan, undercut trigger guard, front strap checkering, etc. I also am not a terrible fan of the Parkerized finish.

The Trojan has a few features i find attractive as well as a nicer looking finish, altho the price tag is considerable bit higher($400+). I would have to add the FO sight here tho.

With either pistol, I am planning on a magwell and probably ambi-safety (maybe blue, maybe stainless), and possibly a paddle mag release.

This gun is going to be used for Single Stack and possibly L-10 if i get the urge to buy some 10-rounders. Which way should I go? Which way did you go?

2 yrs ago bought the STI Sentinel in .40 S&W. Last year added a new hammer, sear,briley bushing, etc and just now added a custom mag well. 25,000 rds later it has been the best bargain I've ever had. Feeds anything, is extremely accurate, and never breaks down. I've also run with CMC mags exclusively but have tried Trip, Wilson, and Maidenform (joking). It runs with anything.

post-11000-12645311357_thumb.jpg

I also bought one of the Sentinels but in 45 and love it. One of the best out of the box triggers I have seen that wasn't "custom" done. Sometime in the next six months or so I will be buying one of the Sentry's in 40. That is how much I love the gun. Almost bought a Trojan last year but do to an ordering mix up it never went through. I know several people who have them and love them. I am a checkering guy so I will spend the extra money for that and the forged frame but I am picky that way.

I didnt even think to look at Shooters :(

ill look into them and what it would take for options i want to add. thanks!

would love more input on either gun choice!!

You didn't mention caliber. If you want .40 or .38 super then you'll have to get the Trojan because I think the Spartan is available only in .45 and now 9mm.

I have the Trojan in 9mm, which I bought for target shooting and home defense before I started practical shooting. I now shoot it in SS and L10 with exactly the same setup and mags (Wilson ETM's). If I knew then what I know now I would get the Trojan again but probably in .40 because it is tough to shoot C's fast enough to keep up with the guys shooting major.

FWIW, my only complaint about the Trojan is the front strap. It is too flat for my taste and the "STIppling" is worse than useless. Easily resolved with a file and some grip tape. Other than that, I also added FO front sight, ambi safeties, Ice magwell and trigger group from Brazos. It is 1/4oz under the weight limit.

I have never shot a Spartan, so I can't compare the two directly, but I am very happy with the Trojan.

Yea, prolly should have mentioned caliber. Im thinking of going with a 45 right now. Im currently set up to reload for .45 now and i like to kep things simple. I suppose when I step to Limited one day, Ill get a .40 gun and then need to upgrade my reloading stuff. For now, the .45 will do - plus is nice having big holes in the targets :)

I purchased a STI Sentry in 45 from Dave Dawson My link Best price I found.

Had Dave do a tune up on it. Have over 3000 thru it now and runs perfect. Never had a problem. I bought my Open Gun from him (9mm major), it runs without any problems. Will even eat factory. Dave is a great guy to work with.

Edited by Neil E.

I actually sent an email to Chuck about my ideas I had and he has got me interested in the Sentry now too as a 3rd option....sigh, too many guns too choose from, haha

The Sentry is a nice gun, but I don't see it being worth $500 more than the Trojan. I also prefer the undercut on the Trojan frame..oh, if they only combined the undercut with checkering on either, it would be a nice option. For that extra $500 you could get a Trojan and replace the lockwork (hammer, sear, etc), add better ambis (SV or Ed Browns) and have a killer trigger job done on it. If you buy the Sentry you'll still have many of the exact same parts as a Trojan (really everything but the frame if I recall correctly), and it'll still need a trigger job.

The good thing is that none of them are bad choices :) R,

I have a Trojan that is 5 years old. The only mods done has been the addition of ambi safties and a trigger job. I also have one of the USPSA models that is built on a forged frame, tri topped slide, ambi's etc. It had a good trigger out of the box just a little to heavy. Did the trigger and it runs great and looks very nice.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Call Chuck and order 1 of each! cant go wrong with that

as much as id like to, i dont think my bank account would like it, or the gf for that matter...

Hey, good guns last longer than most girlfriends :roflol: Just kidding (well, sorta)!

Call Chuck and order 1 of each! cant go wrong with that

as much as id like to, i dont think my bank account would like it, or the gf for that matter...

Hey, good guns last longer than most girlfriends :roflol: Just kidding (well, sorta)!

I'll make sure she doesnt see that, haha ;) I figure I got about 1 or two more gun purchases left before I better start planning for a "compressed coal" purchase. planning on this pistol and probably an AR. need to make this a good one!!

I actually sent an email to Chuck about my ideas I had and he has got me interested in the Sentry now too as a 3rd option....sigh, too many guns too choose from, haha

The Sentry is a nice gun, but I don't see it being worth $500 more than the Trojan. I also prefer the undercut on the Trojan frame..oh, if they only combined the undercut with checkering on either, it would be a nice option. For that extra $500 you could get a Trojan and replace the lockwork (hammer, sear, etc), add better ambis (SV or Ed Browns) and have a killer trigger job done on it. If you buy the Sentry you'll still have many of the exact same parts as a Trojan (really everything but the frame if I recall correctly), and it'll still need a trigger job.

Meant to add this to an earlier post. Got any good recommendations for a trigger job and the addition of a stainless ambi/grip safety? Someone else posted a link for Benny Hill at TSS. Any others I should look at?

Thanks!

Meant to add this to an earlier post. Got any good recommendations for a trigger job and the addition of a stainless ambi/grip safety? Someone else posted a link for Benny Hill at TSS. Any others I should look at?

Thanks!

I had Matt McLearn do the trigger and reliability package on my Trojan and I've been extremely happy with it. His trigger honestly feels about half a pound lighter than it actually weighs on the gauge...that crisp. R,

For the price of the Sentry you can get a Trojan and a Spartan... Well almost.

B)

For not too much more than the price of a Sentry, you could probably have a good custom gun built. Maybe not by one of the big names, but there are lots of guys who can put together a quality gun that don't charge outrageous prices.

been kicking some options around, leaning towards the Trojan for now. Sentry is a bit pricey for me at the moment. Maybe gonna have a little custom work done on the trojan(triggerjob, etc)

haha, while I have a funny feeling I'm going to be outshooting my singlestage press this summer, Id like to crank out some rounds with it first

Spartan!

Trojan is no where near worth it. Don't let these folks sell you on that. If you are ticking with a .45 then the Spartan is the way to go. I've got a lot of rounds through mine, it's loosened up a little but so has a six inch .45 Trojan that Benny Hill worked over.

You won't go wrong with either, but I've liked the fit on the Spartans better. Hell I've bought three of them. Just can't walk past a 500 dollar 1911 .45 some days...okay most days.