Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Meopta

GIO

Shorter than the standard K-dot, with three small chevrons (point up "v" shaped) instead of the bottom bar. Intended for a 200 yard dot, with 300/400/500 holds on the chevrons. Did I mention it was much shorter and lighter? I will buy two; one to replace my K-dot and one for Liota, who finally found a scope she likes :)

Alex

All illuminated just like the first generation model. The "bright" bits are the dot, left and right lines, and the three chevrons. Same industry-leading brightness as the first gen, as near as I could tell in the convention center :)

Funny how Meopta can get it right, and everyone else (with the exception of Swo and their crappy reticles) can't pull their head out long enough to figure it out for themselves. I was amazed at looking through scope after scope in the four figure range with crap illumination...well, except for the Countersniper scope that was much like looking through a soda straw with a fuzzy reticule and crap illumination (great ad copy though :D )

Alex

Patrick, If I understand the way an etched reticle is illuminated. the light is shown onto the glass from the edge and the reason it shows up is because the light is reflected from the cuts into the glass, if the entire reticle is cut/etched then the entire reticle will be lit, the only way I can see for them to do it your way would be to etch only the dot and then use a normal wire reticle for the rest, which means the reticle will not be able to "hang" in the middle of the glass, like it does now.

Trapr

Patrick, If I understand the way an etched reticle is illuminated. the light is shown onto the glass from the edge and the reason it shows up is because the light is reflected from the cuts into the glass, if the entire reticle is cut/etched then the entire reticle will be lit, the only way I can see for them to do it your way would be to etch only the dot and then use a normal wire reticle for the rest, which means the reticle will not be able to "hang" in the middle of the glass, like it does now.

Trapr

Trapr

But how does that work with the Swarovski Z6i then ? do they work different and ''hang'' the reticle that is not illuminated ?

I have a Zeiss varipoint and a meopta and i love them both but i think the KDot can be a bit ''too much'' sometimes

When trapper sais hang I believe he is refering to the way the Meopta reticule is centered and appears to be floating or suspended and not extending all the way to the edges of the field of view in the scope. The Swarovski reticule extends all the way to the edges and is quite combersome in the field of view compared to the Meopta.

I do believe what you are asking could be done in an etched reticule if a manufacturer wanted to (I.E. saw a profit/market for it). I have played around with illuminated glass art that was illuminated from the edge as is a etched reticule. By adding a color into the etching you can change the color or make it black where you wanted a different color than the light that illuminates the glass.

Friend said hash marks on bottom chevron is about the only improvement.

Do you know how many hash marks?

I was told 4 or 5... Not sure why they shortened the tube length either...

Uh, material savings? IDK

I wonder if the pricing will be in line with the former Meo or try to compete with the Burris?

I wonder if the pricing will be in line with the former Meo or try to compete with the Burris?

I'm sure it'll compete with the retail price of the Burris XTR... Heard it'll be in the $1000 range but that's retail I think.

I'm sure it'll compete with the retail price of the Burris XTR... Heard it'll be in the $1000 range but that's retail I think.

Thanks man. Good info. Still gonna look for a pic......I just have to know!

np... I'm dying to see one as well... But I really want that new Short Dot 1-8x24 :)

np... I'm dying to see one as well... But I really want that new Short Dot 1-8x24 :)

Tell you what...you buy me that new S&B short dot and I'll pay our hotel room charges for every match we shoot together this year. :cheers:

The super trick guys at Premiere put the dot in one focal plane and the cross hair/bdc in the other...they said the hard part was getting them to line up exactly. S&B's version didn't ;)

The new Meopta should own the 1-4 market, based on what I saw at SHOT. The Vortex was nice, but the good version should be about $400-odd more expensive and has a lot more cluttered reticule (and their cheap 1-4 has a crapfest for a reticule, so it is pretty useless to us even if the price point is good).

Alex