Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally a holster for the 9L...

rkgsmith

Since I bought my 9L I have been shopping around for a holster. I need something with retention for the Police TPC matches so the blade tech style won't work. I like the safariland, but don't like the barrel sticking out. Well I was at the range today and just happened to stick my 9L into my Blackhawk Serpa that fits my glock 21 and guess what, it fit like it was made for it. Only sticks out about a 1/16 of an inch, plenty of channel for the front sight and minimal rock. Gun locks in and the draw is nice and smooth.

On another note I knocked off some other " must do's " with the pistol, accuracy testing and trigger fucntion. Fired about 250 rounds of 124 ball and 147 Fed Hydra Shok. Accuracy was good with both rounds, 6 shot groups at 25 yards from a barricade that printed in the 2 to 3 inch range. Both lots of ammo printed in the same spot and accuracy was the same. 147's do have a little more felt recoil though. Think I'll just stick with the factory barrel for now as this accuracy seems good enough. Groups printed slightly high so I think I'm going to go fiber optic, just a little taller than the factory sight.

Went on to really play around with the trigger and it seemed to get better with each shot. Nice and smooth, reset was good, and I was consistently doing .13 - .15 splits on 10 yard poppers. Think I'll leave it alone for now. May tinker with bead blasting the slide for a two-tone look then serrate the top before putting on the sights. Also going to marine-tex the front strap for a little better grip. Overall really liking this gun.

Since I bought my 9L I have been shopping around for a holster. I need something with retention for the Police TPC matches so the blade tech style won't work. I like the safariland, but don't like the barrel sticking out. Well I was at the range today and just happened to stick my 9L into my Blackhawk Serpa that fits my glock 21 and guess what, it fit like it was made for it. Only sticks out about a 1/16 of an inch, plenty of channel for the front sight and minimal rock. Gun locks in and the draw is nice and smooth.

On another note I knocked off some other " must do's " with the pistol, accuracy testing and trigger fucntion. Fired about 250 rounds of 124 ball and 147 Fed Hydra Shok. Accuracy was good with both rounds, 6 shot groups at 25 yards from a barricade that printed in the 2 to 3 inch range. Both lots of ammo printed in the same spot and accuracy was the same. 147's do have a little more felt recoil though. Think I'll just stick with the factory barrel for now as this accuracy seems good enough. Groups printed slightly high so I think I'm going to go fiber optic, just a little taller than the factory sight.

Went on to really play around with the trigger and it seemed to get better with each shot. Nice and smooth, reset was good, and I was consistently doing .13 - .15 splits on 10 yard poppers. Think I'll leave it alone for now. May tinker with bead blasting the slide for a two-tone look then serrate the top before putting on the sights. Also going to marine-tex the front strap for a little better grip. Overall really liking this gun.

Try a blade tech. They have retention adjustment screw.

Yeah, I'm curious about this too, how is it dangerous?? I have heard of a guy in Florida that jerked his pistol out of his Serpa at a match and shot himself in the leg. Well, this is solely on the shooter, not the holster.

Please let us all know why you believe this so we can decide for ourselves. Thanks...

I own a blade tech, however TPC rules state a retention device like a snap, thumb break, etc. As far as the Serpa, yeah it's dangerous if your a poor gun handling type of person. Not to spin this thread, I respect your thoughts, but don't blame the holster. Years ago we had an officer shoot herself in the leg drawing a glock from a Level III safariland holster, does that make it a bad holster, no. Does it mean she was a poor gun handler, YES. Let's face it guns are dangerous, reloading is dangerous, running around with guns with 1.5 lb triggers are dangerous, if you want to stretch it driving to the match is dangerous. Guys have AD's all the time, so should we ban their fingers. Seriously, before each operation our team leader recites the same mantra to the team each time we go out, specifically, "Weapon on safe until your in a ready position, finger off the trigger outside the trigger guard unless your on a shootable target." If everybody at a match abided by that rule nobody, regardless of holster type would shoot themself.

Yeah, I'm curious about this too, how is it dangerous?? I have heard of a guy in Florida that jerked his pistol out of his Serpa at a match and shot himself in the leg. Well, this is solely on the shooter, not the holster.

Please let us all know why you believe this so we can decide for ourselves. Thanks...

Its much more difficult to index on the tab during times of stress. You can get your finger on the opposite side of the toggle lever ans think youre where youre supposed to be. Its dangerous, in my opinion, because of the need for a quick draw in LE, as well as the fairly known potential for getting the mechanism clogged.

Ive since switched to a safariland ALS holster and am very happy.

I own a blade tech, however TPC rules state a retention device like a snap, thumb break, etc. As far as the Serpa, yeah it's dangerous if your a poor gun handling type of person. Not to spin this thread, I respect your thoughts, but don't blame the holster. Years ago we had an officer shoot herself in the leg drawing a glock from a Level III safariland holster, does that make it a bad holster, no. Does it mean she was a poor gun handler, YES. Let's face it guns are dangerous, reloading is dangerous, running around with guns with 1.5 lb triggers are dangerous, if you want to stretch it driving to the match is dangerous. Guys have AD's all the time, so should we ban their fingers. Seriously, before each operation our team leader recites the same mantra to the team each time we go out, specifically, "Weapon on safe until your in a ready position, finger off the trigger outside the trigger guard unless your on a shootable target." If everybody at a match abided by that rule nobody, regardless of holster type would shoot themself.

I shot the TPC in New Mexico last year and there were plenty of gamers using Serpas and open top mag holders (CR speed). They claimed that the trigger guard lock was retention. Although competitors questioned that setup as "duty gear", match officials allowed the use of both.

Seiichi