Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best comp out there

fritzthemoose

In my experience with about 5 different comps in 9 major and 38SC, Brazo's Thunder comp 2 beats other comps hands down. The comp comes in two designs--cone and bull barrel configuration.

The comp does not make the gun nose heavy. Most importantly to me---you can "dial in" the comp. Once you make major you can adjust the load until the dot is pretty damn stable. There are other reasons and you read about them on Brazo's website.

You can't go wrong the Brazo Thunder comp 2.

In my experience with about 5 different comps in 9 major and 38SC, Brazo's Thunder comp 2 beats other comps hands down. The comp comes in two designs--cone and bull barrel configuration.

The comp does not make the gun nose heavy. Most importantly to me---you can "dial in" the comp. Once you make major you can adjust the load until the dot is pretty damn stable. There are other reasons and you read about them on Brazo's website.

You can't go wrong the Brazo Thunder comp 2.

the problem is that the state department considers a comp a major gun part which means that shipping is restricted due to national security. in order to be able to get it I would have to file for an export license with the state department. For that I would have to provide an end user certificate in which the austrian state certifies that the comp will not be used by the austrian army and not be resold without expressed written permission by the state department. having obtained that i would have to pay and send everything over to the state department which will then decide if the comp can be shipped or not.

and no I am unfortunately not kidding.

so many people outside of the US simply try to stay away from made in America.

I would even need to file if I wanted to buy a mag tube or a grip.

• 1 month later...

There's no simple answer. The comp is part of a system - that system includes all kinds of stuff... The barrel (inc. barrel length) , any ports in the barrel (inc. size and position), the weight of the slide, shape of the FP stop, weight of the mainspring, weight of the recoil spring, type of frame and grip, powder charge (weight and type of powder), bullet weight, etc... Any of those things can have an effect on how you perceive recoil in the gun (be it degree of flatness, how hard it hits you in the palm, how much noise/concussion it makes, etc).

Some comps do work better than others - and some will tend to be more stable in recoil than others (ie, recoil path will be more consistent). For some shooters, there will not be a "night and day" kind of difference between two comps... However, comparing those differences really requires keeping everything else about the systems the same - and because we're generally comparing between two different guns, unless those guns are identical in every other way, we're not comparing solely comp to comp. So, what you want to find is a system that works well, and there's all kinds of ways to approach that. The comparison Ron is doing above is by no means an apples to apples type of comparison, and won't tell anyone much about which comp is "better"... just which system Ron likes better at the time.

I highly disagree with Robert above regarding barrel ports. When made properly, they cause no issues - and their purpose is not only to make the gun shoot flatter... And all ports in the barrel are not created equally - throwing a blanket over all of them just self limits the possibilities. Further, is "soft" equal to "best"? What about "flat"? And can you truly have both "soft" and "flat"? I like a soft shooting gun, like anyone else... but when it comes down to results on the timer and on paper, I find that "soft" tends to equal "slow", and I'd much rather have "fast", so I shoot a gun that performs "fast" for me, but isn't the "feel" I'd pick if I didn't evaluate it's performance on the clock first. In the end, due to the mechanics of the gun, and how those actually influence how the dot moves... you simply can't actually have "flat" and "soft" at the same time. Those that claim to will invariably only have one or some balance between the two, but not both. ph34r.gifblink.gifdevil.gif

Well I agree with a lot of that especially the part about the comp being one component of a multisytem device.BUT, After a LOT of years of experience with lots of comps and power factors, you CAN get a flat soft shooting gun but it will likely be a little on the hefty side and at least five inch barrel and it will have plenty of speed up to about A or Master level. For M or GM speed, I think the quickest with 165 pf is a 4" barrel and a VERY simple small comp. It is slightly blasty but virtually no flip. A shorter barrel means more gas pressure to work with so comp can be smaller and overall swing weight reduced (enhanceing target aquistion time0). I disagree with multiple ports, been there, done that. The more ports or hybrid holes the more likely you are to have something keep the dot from going perfectly up and down without wobble. I agree they can be made to work but they cause maintainance issues, limit bullet selection, cause expense and are generally a pain to manage over time. However if you love the tinkering part of IPSC, then by all means try all kinds of holes

There are a LOT of GREAT pistol comps out there, but the main thing is matching all the variables (load, bullet weight, slide weight, frame rate, shooting style,stroke, spings etc.) together. That's where your gunsmith and a lot of trial and error will come in.

My current gun has Matt McLearn’s (M2i) comp. I fit a Brazos comp and the gun balanced better but the gun shot no softer, faster or flatter and induced some side to side dot movement. My favorite thing about the M2i is the dot seems to track straight up and down!

This morning I’m going to pull the M2i and install a Bedell Steel comp I have here. Then I’ll let you guys know how that stack against the Brazos and M2i.

Dave

So, if you were wanting to test several comps on a new gun, what would your top 5 choices be to test? I'd like to test 3 or 4 out on a new build I am doing, but I don't want to try some that are marginal at best. I like the EGW 9 major comp, but it is wicked nose heavy. I was looking at a buddies Brazo's SX Saturday and love the way it feels. So I guess I am looking for some of the lighter ideas out there.

So, if you were wanting to test several comps on a new gun, what would your top 5 choices be to test? I'd like to test 3 or 4 out on a new build I am doing, but I don't want to try some that are marginal at best. I like the EGW 9 major comp, but it is wicked nose heavy. I was looking at a buddies Brazo's SX Saturday and love the way it feels. So I guess I am looking for some of the lighter ideas out there.

FireAnt - The Brazos weights in at 3 oz its about 2-3 oz lighter than the average comp. The Bedell TI is 2.24oz but you need to push the gas level up on that comp to get it soft and flat. I like the looks of the Millenium TI comp and G-man will tell you it works.

A note about weight, the weight that moves is the worst and that includes barrel and comp that said get an aluminum guide rod to offset your boat anchor comp. Had to throw a fishing term in there.

I found the Brazos needs less gas to work, it runs flat and soft with a 10gr load and the Bedell was jumping like Shamoo till I punched the load up to 10.5gr. Not too happy when you have to throw an extra 1/2 gr at it above power factor, but it knocks down steel with authority.

If they still made it the Dawson Todd Jarrett comp without the holes in the sides I would put it on my gun. That big heavy 4 port sure does shoot good, I've shot a couple Dawson Signature guns awesome and a couple custom builds with that comp again awesome and it doesn't seem to care much what they are loading.

While I don't have any popo holes in my guns, I've been working with a couple other guns that we added a single hole to (truBores) and it sure helped the flipping, now they are a lot flatter but still a bit hard on the palm.

Cool, a couple of those were on my short list to try. Manny Bragg has a new comp that I was able to shoot a week or so ago that I really liked. I put an aluminum GR in that gun, but it is still an anchor. It is flat, but heavy.

Coco, did you cut off the last port on the Bedell Ti comp? If not, I wonder if that might explain the need for more powder to get it working, etc....?

I am following this thread and your other re: the STI Competitor makeover as I have the same gun with a stock slide and simple 3 port comp. Thinking about a different comp, lighening the slide, etc as you have done and trying to decide which comp to try.

You initially seeemed to like the Bedell (in the other thread) but now looks like you prefer the Brazos?

Thanks

Coco, did you cut off the last port on the Bedell Ti comp? If not, I wonder if that might explain the need for more powder to get it working, etc....?

I am following this thread and your other re: the STI Competitor makeover as I have the same gun with a stock slide and simple 3 port comp. Thinking about a different comp, lighening the slide, etc as you have done and trying to decide which comp to try.

You initially seeemed to like the Bedell (in the other thread) but now looks like you prefer the Brazos?

Thanks

I certainly like the weight of the Bedell and I have to say with 10.5gr of AA#7 behind a 125gr Zero at 176pf it shoots flat and soft. I get the same flat and soft with 10.2gr at 170pf with the Brazos. I didn't cut the last port off as it is there to reduce recoil and I am recoil intolerant. If you drop the load back the gun goes to jumping like shamoo. I missed the sale on the Brazos they were selling them at Double Tap for $100. If you have the original style screw on comp it is very heavy and the gun is very nose heavy. If you happen to have the truBore barrel then you can't screw another comp on but then its not as heavy. If you have a TruBore,and the easy way to tell is the first comp port is within a 1/4" of the slide, you can get it to flatten out and shoot pretty good, I sold one to my smith's boss the shop owner and they put a single poppel hole in and it made a heck of a difference in the gun, along with a lot of cutting on the slide.

I will say if you hang the Brazos on the end of that gun you are going to be very happy with it, and it will probalby work just fine with what ever load your running. If you hang the Bedell then you going to have to go with N105 or AA#7 something that puts out a butt load of gas and push it up till it works.

Seems mine is a screw on as the distance from the front of the slide to the back of the first port is almost exactly 1/2". I will look into the Brazos first. Don't think that I am particularly recoil intolerant but I have had the carpal tunnel surgery on my right/strong hand and it does get a little tender after a 6 stage match or extended practice sessions.

Thanks for the feedback

Seems mine is a screw on as the distance from the front of the slide to the back of the first port is almost exactly 1/2". I will look into the Brazos first. Don't think that I am particularly recoil intolerant but I have had the carpal tunnel surgery on my right/strong hand and it does get a little tender after a 6 stage match or extended practice sessions.

Thanks for the feedback

A slide weight of 10 1/2 oz will change the recoil profile a lot. Gans does a lot of slide whacking, I just had my local guy cut the back down and tri-top it and poke a few holes in it ($120 worth). I did post a pic in the make over thread. It makes it a whole new gun with a good balance and even with a steel guide rod its a light weight, an aluminum gets too light, try putting it together without the guide rod you will see what I mean. The other TruBore I sold the shop owner, they cut it down to about 9 oz and I think they went too far, it seemed to recoil more with the same load. When you lighten the slide you might need to step the recoil spring up to help slow it down, I run a 10#.

The other TruBore I sold the shop owner, they cut it down to about 9 oz and I think they went too far, it seemed to recoil more with the same load.

There's definitely a balance... and depending on how they did it, they stand a much higher chance of cracking that slide, too...

So I got out yesterday and was able to do a little testing with the Bedell Steel comp. I was hoping that it would require less powder then the M2i comp which has very deep big ports. I really like the way WSF shoots but I was starting to see pressure signs with the M2i comp and was only making 166-168 pf. So I installed the Bedell comp and that boosted my PF to and avg of 170 so that’s not enough to back off on the WSF so back to 3N37.

So for now with my gun and my loads I would list the three comps I have tried like this.

#1 M2i (Matt McLearn’s comp). Dot tracks straight up and down

#2 Bedell Steel comp. not as much dot rise but has a little side to side movement

#3 Brazos had more side to side and top to bottom dot movement then the two above

There is only a .1 oz difference in the M2i and Bedell and the Brazos comes in 1.2 oz lighter then the Bedell and 1.3 oz lighter then the M2i. I could not really see any major difference in feel and function with the lighter comp with the exception that it pointed a little better. I would still like to try a Bedell Ti comp but I’m still a little nervous about Ti.

:surprise:

EGW 5 port EDM comp and Caspians "X" comp have been successful for me.

I feel most any comp with 9mm major will work. the two I just mentioned

are real good, shoot the heck out of your gun and you will love what ever is

on the end of the barrel. I think. :rolleyes::roflol::devil:

So I got out yesterday and was able to do a little testing with the Bedell Steel comp. I was hoping that it would require less powder then the M2i comp which has very deep big ports. I really like the way WSF shoots but I was starting to see pressure signs with the M2i comp and was only making 166-168 pf. So I installed the Bedell comp and that boosted my PF to and avg of 170 so that’s not enough to back off on the WSF so back to 3N37.

So for now with my gun and my loads I would list the three comps I have tried like this.

#1 M2i (Matt McLearn’s comp). Dot tracks straight up and down

#2 Bedell Steel comp. not as much dot rise but has a little side to side movement

#3 Brazos had more side to side and top to bottom dot movement then the two above

There is only a .1 oz difference in the M2i and Bedell and the Brazos comes in 1.2 oz lighter then the Bedell and 1.3 oz lighter then the M2i. I could not really see any major difference in feel and function with the lighter comp with the exception that it pointed a little better. I would still like to try a Bedell Ti comp but I’m still a little nervous about Ti.

werewolf45auto - With the Bedell I had to pump my load up to get it to flat and soft. 10.5gr of AA#7 with 125gr Zero JHP set at 1.240. I make pwr factor 170pf at 10.2gr but the extra .3gr gives this comp the gas it needs to work. N105 is another powder that puts out a lot of gas. I tried 3n37 but it just didn't cut it, not bad but not enough gas and too much recoil. The above load info is for 38 Super, for 9 mm Major I use 10gr of AA#7, with very similar results with 7.0gr of AutoComp (125gr bullet) HS6 with a 115gr bullet at 9.0gr very flat. I disagree with the post that says any comp is good for 9 major. I don't think I could get enough gas in 9 major to get the Bedell to flatten out.

Edited by CocoBolo

Cocobolo,

Thats all good info. I should have said above that I am shooting 9 major. I have tried HS6, Autocomp, 3N37, and WSF all with 124gr, 121gr, and 115's all MG. I like the way WSF shoots the best but I have been getting some slight cratering with cci SRP and I'm just making PF. With 3N37 I can make PF with Small pistol primers all day but it shoots to harsh, burns to HOT and I don't like the way the dot tracks.

I do think my next gun I'll be going back to 38 SC. For this gun I'm going to stick with the M2i comp an just play with a few more powders and bullets.

"Best" is always a way to stir things a bit.

I think the "best" is the one that works with your own complete multi factorial system. That being said, if you work with your gunsmith you CAN get a gun that has NO side to side movement and the dot just flicks exactly straight up and down without leaving the A zone and comes exactly back to the starting point without wobble. That will be the "best" for your gun.

So the idea is dont get set on any particular comp brand, get the "system" that works the best. I have expressed before my opinion that obtaining this goal is simpler with simple comps.

Edited by Aloha Robert