Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local match fees

Zebp45

My search turned up empty so, what do you pay for local matches?

My local club has ordered a set of SC plates and plan to get matches going soon.

Also we thinking of holding some sort of Spring/Summer multi-week league ona week night, does any one have any experience with this sort of thing? I was thinking 10-12 weeks must shoot 6 matches to qualify for end of league awards. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

My local club has ordered a set of SC plates and plan to get matches going soon.

Also we thinking of holding some sort of Spring/Summer multi-week league ona week night, does any one have any experience with this sort of thing? I was thinking 10-12 weeks must shoot 6 matches to qualify for end of league awards. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Are you only talking about steel challenge. If not, our local USPSA matches are 15 for non members, 10 for members, and 5 for ROs. But since I am a junior, I shoot for free. :cheers: I am not sure how much it is for sc though. :unsure:

Our club does not yet run SC but they have a monthly steel shoot. 4 stages $5 per division and payout is $10 to the winner, $5 to second then $3 back to every 5th shooter after that. :cheers:

At my other club (that doesn't own SC plates), matches are $10 across the board, which I think is a fair price. On the flip side, the plates required for Steel Challenge are not cheap, so I'd hope that you're membership would be understanding if you start off with a higher "start up charge" until the plates are paid for.

If you're planning to do an annual series, I'd also strongly recommend doing something along the lines of the best 6 or 8 times as things happen that prevent folks from getting to matches: everything from illness to anniversaries to funerals, not to mention weather events that can cancel a full match. Out here, it's not unusual for one match a year to be canceled due to wildfires. Also bear in mind that you may have members who will want to attend a state or national match that falls on the same day as your match; if you make it so that they'll get penalized out of your annual series if they go to a more prestigious match, then chances are they'll simply choose not to participate in your annual series.

One final idea, perhaps to offset the cost of the plates, is to charge for your monthly matches, but also throw an additional "series participant" charge on top of that. Maybe an additional $10 or $20. Basically what you're telling folks is that you can shoot every month if you want, but if you plan to engage in the series, you need to pitch in at some point in the season to help offset the cost of the plates, as well as tropies and/or any ceremony that you may plan to have at the end of the season. I've participated in one series where where the required charge was something like $40 (can't remember exactly), but you also got a discount on the monthly match fee that panned out in such a way that you broke even or made a little money if you attended all 12 matches throughout the year... which most people probably didn't make.

My local club: $10 for members, $15 for non-members for the first entry (Pays prize money) for five stages. Match organizers will combine divisions (if there's insufficient entries to pay prizes otherwise....)

$ 5 for members, $10 for non-members for re-entries (no prizes....)

We run a monthly steel match on Friday nights. The match fee is $15 for non-club members, and $10 for club members. RO's get a $5 discount. If you want to check out the details, go to www.IndyRange.com > Programs > Friday Night Steel

• 4 weeks later...

Our local club MSSA, Memphis Sport Shooting, shoots Steel Challenge on the third Saturday of the month. We just started at the end of 09 and usually shoot five stages. Cost to members $10 and non members $12. Looking forward to our first match in good weather.