Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays + 147 gr + sp magnum primer

Antoine

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Clays a long time and have experimented with it a lot in various calibers.

Now, I ONLY use it in low pressure calibers such as 38 Spl and 45acp and it is a wonderful powder in these applications.

In high pressure calibers there are much better choices.

Edited by parisite

I am not sure, maybe I am just lucky. I have been shooting 3.3gr of Clays under Zero 147 JHPs loaded out to 1.14 for my para for a while for a minor load. Very nice and soft load. No signs of any pressure. Adding a magnum primer to the mix will not add but a few FPS to the mix. What I am I missing - are you trying for a Major load?

Mark K

I an certainly not a Devil May Care person, but I also know that reloading books are a guide to start your reloading. The upper ends of most of the data in the books, are written in close consultation with the legal department. I start with the book, and move up in very small increments, looking for pressure signs in the cases with each shot. I think that you will find that many of the "Maximum loads" will not even make Minor PF. I know with my Open gun in 38SC using VV3n37 or VV3n38, most major loads are nearly 25% - 2gr over the listed maximum in the book.

And to that, all guns are different, so you have to work up any load slowly, and not just load from the book.

I shoot Clays in my .40 Limited gun with 200gr bullets. Not in the book. But by asking what others were using, and dropping down 10% from there to start, I have worked up a nice soft, safe load.

Just my opinion.

Mark

Your load is .5 grains above the book load and thats using a lead bullet. I have only seen clays and 147 in the lyman reloading manual.

I have been shooting 3.3gr of Clays under Zero 147 JHPs loaded out to 1.14 for my para What I am I missing -

Mark K

Edited by Mark K

I an certainly not a Devil May Care person, but I also know that reloading books are a guide to start your reloading. The upper ends of most of the data in the books, are written in close consultation with the legal department. I start with the book, and move up in very small increments, looking for pressure signs in the cases with each shot. I think that you will find that many of the "Maximum loads" will not even make Minor PF. I know with my Open gun in 38SC using VV3n37 or VV3n38, most major loads are nearly 25% - 2gr over the listed maximum in the book.

And to that, all guns are different, so you have to work up any load slowly, and not just load from the book.

I shoot Clays in my .40 Limited gun with 200gr bullets. Not in the book. But by asking what others were using, and dropping down 10% from there to start, I have worked up a nice soft, safe load.

Just my opinion.

Mark

Your load is .5 grains above the book load and thats using a lead bullet. I have only seen clays and 147 in the lyman reloading manual.

I have been shooting 3.3gr of Clays under Zero 147 JHPs loaded out to 1.14 for my para What I am I missing -

Mark K

Thanks a lot Mark K. I will try it and be carefull.

Just my opinion.

Mark

Mark K

Thanks a lot Mark K. I will try it and be carefull.

Clays is OK with a 147gr JHP or Lead. But you have to accomodate the difference in the two projectiles.

I just found that V V N320 and or Titegroup worked better, more accuracy, less pressure. All the things I like. I tried it in Tanfoglio, two CZ75/85, Ruger P85, Ruger PC9, Glock, CMMG AR. It worked, just not as good as I hoped or needed. Stay within the book loads if you can. A sudden change can occur with clays in 9mm if you get a different brand of brass cases.

At 3.0gr with a JHP I made minor easily any more and the groups were horrible.

Small Magnum Pistol Primers may add less than you think, but Clays is Rapid, take care.

Now Clays and 115gr JHP is a lovely load. Nice and gentle, very clean and low recoil. Excellent for sub minor loads for ladies to try a gun out.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp Data below from here.

125 GR. SIE FMJ Hodgdon Clays .355" 1.090" 3.5 1010 28,000 CUP 3.7 1056 32,500 CUP

125 GR. LCN Hodgdon Clays .356" 1.125" 2.9 899 22,700 CUP 3.3 993 30,900 CUP

115 GR. LRN Hodgdon Clays .356" 1.100" 3.0 954 25,300 CUP 3.4 1039 31,000 CUP

115 GR. SPR GDHP Hodgdon Clays .355" 1.125" 3.7 1066 30,900 CUP 3.9 1095 32,600 CUP

You will notice that the lead loads are substantially lower than the Jacketed loads. This is I think due to the way obturates and generates pressure differently than a copper jacketed projectile.

No Hodgdon factory loads for Clays, except for the aforementioned Lyman manual.

I have loaded over 10,000 147 jacketed 9mm with clays, no problems (that wasn't me making a mistake), no signs of presure, cheap works great low recoil. 147 zero 3.1 clays makes pf easy out of a g 34. Mag primer adds 10-20 fps.

Matt Finnegan