Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dream Limited 10 Rig.

pc1911

Greetings all -

Over the next few months I will be working with a group of new USPSA shooters helping them to get ready to start shooting USPSA matches in April. I will be reccomending this forum as a resource for shooters to learn some of the basics that took all of us so long (and in most cases so much money) to figure out. I know that some of these topics have been covered before, but I was unable to find a comprehensive post that provides it all.

In that vein, If you were starting from scratch and had the knowledge you have now, what equipment would be in your LIMITED 10 bag?

Belt, holsters, gun, mags, muffs, eyeware, shooting bag. Tell us about all of your favorite gear, and if you have the time, I'd love to hear why.

Thanks for helping me keep the sport going!

Paul

TY45562

My $.02:

A holster that has a very secure locking mechanism or gun rug.

Any mag pouches besides the Universal Shooting Academy ones. Peeeeyoooooo.

Custom ear plugs.

A pair of polycarbonate shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses that are both hardcoated and have anti-glare treatment.

IMHO

STI Edge in .45

5 ea 10 rnd mags

CR Speed Holster

Safariland 771s or CR mags pouches

Safariland inner & outer belts

Dillion cheap glasses in various shades

Good electronic ear muffs

Dillion bag

&

Time to get a Dillion 550 or maybe 650 and shoot more for your money..

A nice quality single stack would be better for bragging rights maybe - Myself - I think it is a lot easier to jam mags in a wide body. :D

Guest Larry Cazes

I am still refining this list.....But I have used in the last 8 months for L10.

(1) Dawson refined Para Ordnance P14 limited with:

- Dawson Magwell, makes the 3-4 reloads on most stages smooth and easy, almost effortless.

- Stock Mags with Dawson Basepads, these basepads are worth the extra cash since they are much easier to clean between stages.

- Dawson .090 Fiber Optic front sight and stock adj. rear, excellent compromise between quick alignment and precision sight picture when needed. The small green insert has just enough light to be extremely visible but not enough to fuzz out the top edge of the blade.

- Pierce rubberized checkered grip panels, the stock plastic Para ones are ridiculous.

(2) Peltor Tac6S earmuffs

- These have the best sound and the least annoying peak clip circuitry out of any I have tried.

(3) Safariland Nylon dual belt system

- Bladetech TEKLOK Kydex holster, best adjustable Kydex holster available bar none. Somewhat pricy at $65.00 but well worth the money.

- High Noon leather dual mag double stack pouches, these are nice but are soon to be replaced by Safariland 771 pouches.

Larry

Most of these "Dream L10 rigs" look like Limited rigs downloaded to 10 rounds. Here's the rig I use:

Kimber Gold Match .45 with Wilson mainspring housing/magwell combo. 17 lb reduced power mainspring, 14 lb reduced power recoil spring. The single stack .45 is a classic. Everyone should have one.

6 Wilson 10 round magazines (Chip McCormick seem to work just as well for other ppl, and are ~$10 less per mag)

CR Speed nylon inner/outer belt

CR speed holster

High noon single mag pouch, + Wilson double mag pouch. DON'T BOTHER COPYING ME WITH THESE. GET SOME COMPETITION MAG POUCHES. I'M GOING TO GET SOME FOR CHRISTMAS, AND CUT 1 SECOND FROM EVERY RELOAD I DO. You'll probably need 4 pouches, too for the longest courses.

Foam ear plugs (provide more noise reduction than muffs, cost next to nothing, and no discomfort)

Clear shooting glasses (use the minimum tint you can get away with for maximum visual accuity)

A gym duffel full of gear.

Sights: I have stock Kimber adjustables. The front is 0.100 or 0.110 (I can't remember). The rear is too narrow (about 0.110 to 0.120). 0.150 would not be too wide. A nice, deep, U shaped notch is pretty nice.

Reloading for .45 is easy. Get a Dillon and once fired brass, and go.

DogmaDog

Here's an econo way.

Glock 35 $550

Blade Tech injection molded holster $18

HiViz overmolded fiber optic front sight $22

Novak low mount rear $26

5 mags $75

Safariland belt $24

Home Depot tool bag $15

Uncle Mike's double mag pouches $26

Tungsten guide rod $40

Seattle Slug $25

Radian electronic muffs $70

Assuming you have the Dillion 650, the Glock 35 works for all three of these dream threads. With the addition of a Bar-sto barrell and a CGR Top Fuel trigger (not necessarry, but I really like them and it improves the "shootability" for me) I don't feel like I'm giving up much to the 1911's. Add a THE brass magwell for L and L10, take it off for production. Add the sights of your choice and grip stick of your choosing, you are there. The best part is you can shoot it stock until you are ready to upgrade the trigger/barrell, if at all.

I sometimes get a little dreamy for the S-I's, but then I think, why? My 35 is accurate and reliable. And it doesn't require constant maintenence. Ever see the picture of Flexmoney's 35 after the Buckeye Blast?

Other gear:

Safariland belt and

two Safariland pouches with a Hogue holster for L and L10

or two Fobus double pouches with Bladetech dropped and offset for production

Star 180 grain jacketed (they are local) and Titegroup

Rudy Project presricption glasses(thanks Rhino)

tennis shoes or boots depending on the weather

carry it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid to sit on or load ammo on with a bottle of water and a power bar or candybar

an old used timer I got for $20 (thanks 3/4Time) and $50 rebuilt chronypal chrono

It looks like I put my money in the press and the gun. And ammo.

Tom Bergman

Not sure if it's my ' Dream ' Limited 10 rig,,,but I would definitly agree with twix and the others about the G35. By far the best starter platform. Considering the price and the fact that it is one of the only over the counter guns that consistantly place high in major and local matches it would be hard to not recommend it to a beginner.

The only thing I would change is the Hogue holster. I've seen that it's a very fast easy to use holster but I know it's not the most secure unless you are really mindful. I would push the production rig and stress that it can be used for all classes with little or no difference in times. Again agreeing with the others.

Also the 35's hold their value pretty well if someone wants to dump everything.