Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 Precision Moly in M&P

sperman

I've been shooting 124 gr. MG JHP in my production gun and it's run like a champ. I wanted to try a heavier load, so I bought a case of Precision moly coated 147 gr. FP bullets. They shoot really soft, but I've had a few problems with the slide going fully into battery. All of the bullets are case gaged, so that's not the problem. The round will chamber, but the slide will stop just short of being in battery. (It acts like the round got in front of the extractor, but I haven't looked to see if that is what is happening.) If I tap the back of the slide it goes into battery with no problem.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? I'm not sure if it's the moly coated bullets or the heavier bullet that is causing the problem. OAL is the same on both of them. I am running a 13lb. recoil spring. I wounder if I should go back to the 15 lb. with the heavier bullet.

On my pro when i am dry firing with snap caps I notice when I cycle the slide that there is a point as the barrel begins to lock up that the slide wants to stop. I have not encountered this when running my BBI 147 moly's in it though. Gun is box stock less than 1k round count.

Is the bullet profile different than the 124 MG's? Take your barrel out of the gun and drop a round into it. See if it sticks or not.

I don't case-gauge, I chamber-check.

I run BBI 147 Molys, I THINK at around 1.125". My digital caliper's battery is dead. Honestly, I set my seating depth by setting my reloads next to a factory Winchester SXT Hollowpoint 147 with the same bullet profile. LOL

They run great, and make 130 PF over Solo-1000.

I know a few guys who use a case-gauge and still have issues w/ 9mm 147s.

Jeff

Edited by JeffWard

Hey Sperman, Find my post about the precisions in my pro. I found anything over1.105 or so was too long and hit the rifling. The bullets have a pretty long shoulder. I had the exact same problems you are having. Also my pro, contrary to what others will swear by, did not run well with a 13lb spring. I guess it could have gotten wore out after 5k rounds or so. who knows? I went back to stock and back to MG 124's and it ran great.

Hey Sperman, Find my post about the precisions in my pro. I found anything over1.105 or so was too long and hit the rifling. The bullets have a pretty long shoulder. I had the exact same problems you are having. Also my pro, contrary to what others will swear by, did not run well with a 13lb spring. I guess it could have gotten wore out after 5k rounds or so. who knows? I went back to stock and back to MG 124's and it ran great.

I did a search, but didn't find it. My OAL (same as my MG) is 1.120" They chamber check fine. It's only about 1 in 20 that give me the problems, so it's very inconsistent. I'll load some short and give it a try.

I did a search, but didn't find it. My OAL (same as my MG) is 1.120" They chamber check fine. It's only about 1 in 20 that give me the problems, so it's very inconsistent. I'll load some short and give it a try.

In my M&P, I ran 147 Gr. BBI at 1.145 and had no issues. How much solo 1K are you using, you may want to add 0.1 gr.

In my M&P, I ran 147 Gr. BBI at 1.145 and had no issues. How much solo 1K are you using, you may want to add 0.1 gr.

BBI 147s and Precision coated have a very different profile as a result the BBIs can be much longer. I wouldn't add anything to your Precision load you likely just need to shorten it up some more, so you may need to decrease the chage by 0.2 then work back up.

:wacko: Why would the amount of powder make any difference to the bullet chambering? :wacko:

ETA I'm not using Solo 1000

Edited by sperman

BBI 147s and Precision coated have a very different profile as a result the BBIs can be much longer. I wouldn't add anything to your Precision load you likely just need to shorten it up some more, so you may need to decrease the chage by 0.2 then work back up.

Thanks.  I'll shorten the OAL and see what happens.

:wacko: Why would the amount of powder make any difference to the bullet chambering? :wacko:

ETA I'm not using Solo 1000

Right now I am using 124 gr MG with 4.7 gr CLAYS in my M&P. It runs perfectly but only has about 11k through it.

I just had the same problem. I went down to 1.115 and now they cahmber fine. Precisions have a really long shoulder so you can't load as long.

Seems to be a common problem with the Precision 147s. I started loading these at 1.130 but every once in a while one would come out just a little longer and engage the rifling. I shortened them to 1.120 and haven't had a problem since in my Pro.