Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to find 21" 870 barrel

islandtime

I just found a barely used Rem 870 Express for $175. It has a 28" barrel on it and I would like to replace it with a 21 or 22 inch barrel based on my searches and reading throught the Enos shotgun forum. Where can I find one/who has the best prices? I'm wanting to keep it as low cost as possible so that the money saved can be used to purchase extention tubes, easy loader, and other accessories.

Why not just have the barrel you have cut down? Is it a vent rib? If it is vent rib its just a matter of them cutting it to the post and redrilling and tapping. If not, Its a simply attach a base.

Edited by EkuJustice

Thanks for the help.

EkuJustice, that sounds like a better deal than a new barrel.

I was doing the math and $175 + another $150-$200 for a shorter barrel was already making me think I'd be better off putting the money towards a new gun (110 tac4).

$175 Used 870 Express 28" w/wood stock

$200 21" Vent Rib barrel

$50 Houge Synthetis stock and forend

$50 Choate Extention tube

$475 TOTAL

Am I thinking on the wrong path? Would I be better off/ have a more reliable gun by spending a bit more and buying a 1100 TAC4?

I have a Remington 870 Express Turkey, which came with a 21" VR barrel from the factory. Give Remington customer service a call, and see if you can purchase one.

Dude, for the $200 you can basically buy this Turkey shotgun. I think I paid $230 out the door w/ a mail in rebate.

What were you wanting to do with the gun primarily. Dedicated competion gun, HD with some occasional matches thrown in?

For a tight bidget I would get the barrel cut down and keep the wooden stock to save money

Edited by EkuJustice

What were you wanting to do with the gun primarily. Dedicated competion gun, HD with some occasional matches thrown in?

For a tight bidget I would get the barrel cut down and keep the wooden stock to save money

I am planning to use it mainly for shotgun side matches but it will stay loaded at home for HD. I would like to spend as little as possible but I also realize "you get what you pay for". It didn't take long for me to realize that if you try to make a $175 gun a $700 gun you wind up almost spending the same amount of money.

That said I just want something that will run, be fun, and somewhat competitive while deciding if the shotgun matches are something I'll get heavily into.

For HD I would go a pump over an auto especially if your leaving it loaded. The spring tension in an auto is much more critical than in a pump gun. For that purpose I definatly like Clint Smiths statement of " I dont need a thousand dollar shotgun, I need to learn to run the one I got". On the budget function over tactical.

For HD I would go a pump over an auto especially if your leaving it loaded. The spring tension in an auto is much more critical than in a pump gun. For that purpose I definatly like Clint Smiths statement of " I dont need a thousand dollar shotgun, I need to learn to run the one I got". On the budget function over tactical. If you upgrade later, you will have a good HD gun and a competion gun to go with it

Jason, a 28" 870 is just 2.5" longer than a 24" barrelled Benelli Nova. You didn't say how long the barrell was, but I know that 28s are common on these guns. I plan on being at our next club match (I think Jeff is planning on a few shotgun stages afterward) and will bring a couple of shotguns. You will be more than welcome to shoot them.

Hurley

Thanks Hurley, I'm looking forward to it. I hate the cold killed last weeks match.

Thanks to everyone else who responded. It sounds like I need to just do some shooting then figure out what will work best before I spend more than I should.