Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver bullet casting

earplug

Bullet casting is a far safer activity than many things people routinely do. Like most things in life (even shooting) common sense must be used and a solid knowledge of safety precuations and what is an old wives tale and what is real about lead.

Lead is toxic but to be effected by it you pretty much need to either eat it or breath lead dust such as in an indoor range. You can eat lead without knowing it, not only in bullet casting but in any lead handling don't smoke or eat until you wash your hands. Do you use a brass tumbler, it would curl your hair to learn how much lead residue there is in the media. Always wash your hands after handling the tumbler media and/or the brass from it. Bullet casting at normal temps does not create any lead fumes to breathe in, lead needs to be up near 900 degrees to do this, well above normal casting temps.

I've been casting for over 40 years, shoot exclusively cast for 30+ years and my blood lead levels are below the average Americans and I don't have a single one of the symptoms listed in this thread. In fact, if you do something as simple as tumble your brass and don't wash your hands I'll bet this weeks allowance that your lead levels are higher than mine. If you shoot at an indoor range I guarantee your levels are higher than mine.

Lead is far more toxic to children 5 years old and younger than it is to adults. If you have children in this age group keep all sources of lead far away from them.

And yes, casting your own is far cheaper than even buying commercial cast bullets not to mention current prices on factory jacketed bullets . . . now there is something that will give you some or most of those symptoms.

Rick

I use the Lee 452-228-1R, lube them with Rooster Jacket and load them as cast. I use Bullseye for the revolver and Clays for the auto. For both platforms, I load them at 1.245 and they feed nicely in a late model Kimber and a 1917 vintage Colt.

Yes, there is more smoke than jacketed, but it isn't excessive. Perhaps if I was shooting in the upper tiers of the program I might feel differently.

I'm not overly afraid of lead poisoning. And I've cast a lot of bullets in my day. I'll certainly agree that shooting regularly on an indoor range is worse than hanging around a casting pot. I believe most of the airborne lead that is inhaled on an indoor range is vaporized particles from the lead styphnate in the primers--am I right?

But I know when I used to cast bullets indoors, I inhaled a lot of crap, even with the vent hood running. OK, maybe it was mostly contaminants burning off in the lead pot, but it's a little tough for me to imagine that all that black junk on my kleenex the next morning contained nothing harmful.

And yes, casting your own is far cheaper than even buying commercial cast bullets not to mention current prices on factory jacketed bullets . . . now there is something that will give you some or most of those symptoms.

If you factor in your time and labor, it doesn't pencil out.

I can tell you my experience with casting bullets. I call up Rudy at BillyBullets and tell him i want 1000 135's in .356, 500 160's in .358, 500 125's in .358 and 500 135's in .358. He then shows up at the range with them all in nice boxes all molly coated up and i give him $170. they are all right at the size that i requested and very uniform in weight. i would like to get the tools to make my own if i ever HAD to, but i dont plan on spending the time and effort to do it. i shoot 250-350 rounds a week, it would take me WAY to long to make them if i had to.

Scott

I have to weigh in here. I have been casting bullets for about 15 years. I don't think I have saved that much money as I have bought plenty of pots molds and other stuff to do it. I do get to shoot more for the money I believe. But it is really a hobby. I do not consider it work to cast bullets, rather it is a time to relax and ponder. Since it is a hobby the cost within reason does not matter. Something magic about pouring molten lead into a mold and a few seconds later out pops a shiney new bullet. It always amazes me. BTW I am a physician and as long as the lead is not ingested or inhaled and then swallowed(as in the dust) then no a big health risk. More dangerous driving to the range.

BTW I am a physician and as long as the lead is not ingested or inhaled and then swallowed(as in the dust) then no a big health risk.

If you don't mind me asking, I have two questions: (1) What type of physician? (2) Is your casting set-up located inside your home?

BTW I am a physician and as long as the lead is not ingested or inhaled and then swallowed(as in the dust) then no a big health risk.

If you don't mind me asking, I have two questions: (1) What type of physician? (2) Is your casting set-up located inside your home?

Good question. My lead levels are way high from an indoor range I shoot at that had (at best) inadequate ventilation so I got an eduction on this. Lead is not absorbed thru the skin. Inhaling lead is 3 times more effctive getting lead into your bloodstream than ingesting it. Ingesting (swallowing it) is fairly ineffective as approx. 2/3 just "passes thru" and is not absorbed.

And just because you are in the casting club doesn't mean you are no longer allowed to purchase commercial or jacketed bullets anymore. If anything I still need a cylinder full of jacketed to clean my barrel at the range!

On the safety side of it, you can pass lead through your system. How many of us have taken wild turkey and pheasant with shot and ate it? It is in it's dust and gaseous forms that is unhealthy. Just keep the area well ventilated and don't stick your head over the pot and get a lungfull.

Possible complications include:

• Behavior or attention problems
  • Failure at school
  • Hearing problems
  • Kidney damage
  • Reduced IQ
  • Slowed body growth

The symptoms of lead poisoning may include:

• Abdominal pain and cramping (usually the first sign of a high, toxic dose of lead poison)
  • Aggressive behavior
  • Anemia
  • Constipation
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Headaches
  • Irritability
  • Loss of previous developmental skills (in young children)
  • Low appetite and energy
  • Reduced sensations

Very high levels of lead may cause vomiting, staggering walk, muscle weakness, seizures, or coma.

Some of you guys are exhibiting these symptoms right now! :surprise:

:roflol:

-ld

i'm a nephrologist. That's a kidney doctor. The kidneys are one of the organs that can be damaged by lead, usually ingested in moonshine. Inhaled lead from shooting in indoor ranges is not vaporized but particulate and is filtered in the nasal passages and then swallowed for the most part and thats how it gets in. Lead will not vaporize while casting unless the pot gets way too hot-greater than 900 degrees F IIRC. My casting area is in a gararge. I keep the windows open more because I do not like the smoke from fluxing not so much out of fear of the lead.

If you factor in your time and labor, it doesn't pencil out.

The whole "factor in your time and labor" thing only works if you have a job that you can work unlimited hours. I cast and reload during time that would otherwise be wasted in front of a TV or computer.

i'm a nephrologist. That's a kidney doctor. The kidneys are one of the organs that can be damaged by lead, usually ingested in moonshine. Inhaled lead from shooting in indoor ranges is not vaporized but particulate and is filtered in the nasal passages and then swallowed for the most part and thats how it gets in. Lead will not vaporize while casting unless the pot gets way too hot-greater than 900 degrees F IIRC. My casting area is in a gararge. I keep the windows open more because I do not like the smoke from fluxing not so much out of fear of the lead.

OK, good information from an actual doctor here. So I will officially defer and back off! (Apparently I can't use lead poisoning to explain away my various behavioral issues.)

i'm a nephrologist. That's a kidney doctor. The kidneys are one of the organs that can be damaged by lead, usually ingested in moonshine.

so now i have to quit drinking moonshine too? what is this world coming too :cheers:

i'm a nephrologist. That's a kidney doctor. The kidneys are one of the organs that can be damaged by lead, usually ingested in moonshine.

so now i have to quit drinking moonshine too? what is this world coming too :cheers:

Naw jes the stuff we runs thru the 58 studebaker radiator fer the city boys. :rolleyes: later rdd

If casting indoors, it's important to properly ventilate the room you are casting in. I intend to cast in a tuff-shed shack but the window will always be open and there will always be positive flow from my back, over the pot, and out the window. Otherwise I refuse to cast indoors except when absolutely neccesary (I am out of bullets and there is a match coming up fairly soon, and the weather is lousy). If it becomes a problem I will either wear a respirator or will cast outdoors only and when it isn't raining (which is about 8-9 months out of the year here).

As with anything, I've talked to people who think I am crazy to load my own ammo, work on my own car, or build my own whatever in my garage or back yard. It is all a risk. There are other shooters who absolutely think it is foolhardy to shoot at targets while on the move like we do.. so with that, I do what I do and try to minimize my risks as much as possible but still get the job done.