Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using a G17 frame with G35 slide

Pro2AInPA

I have a G17L. I may trade the slide for a G35 slide. My plan would be to use the .40 barrel to shoot limited major PF and production minor PF and use a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel to shoot steel challenge and just shoot in general because I have a TON of 9mm ammo.

Here's the question. I know I would need to use G17 mags for 9mm and G22 mags for .40 S&W and use the correct barrel for the respective calibers, but do any other parts in either the G35 slide or the G17 frame need to be swapped out when switching between calibers?

The .40 ejector when in the G35 mode.

Do you think if I install a .40 ejector and leave it there that the gun would run ok with the 9mm conversion barrel? That would be much easier than switching between the 9mm and .40 ejectors all the time.

Jman,

Would an aftermarket 35 slide be LIMITED legal on a 17 frame?

I'm pretty sure it would limited and production legal, would it not? :unsure:

You would be fine running the 35 slide in Limited but would not be technically legal in production. No way other than calling Glock up to prove that your frame was not a 35 coming from the factory but still not legal to swap calibers.

Jman,

You would be fine running the 35 slide in Limited but would not be technically legal in production. No way other than calling Glock up to prove that your frame was not a 35 coming from the factory but still not legal to swap calibers.

They use the exact same frame. :wacko:

Proverbial can 'o worms gents. I refer you to this.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14457083

Set up your Gen 3 G17 lower to shoot 9mm with either a Gen 3 G17 or G34 upper.

Start setting aside a little mad money for the G35. You'll be WAY better off.

Avoid Frankenglocks.

Jim

All that thread says is to use a .40 ejector for .40 and a 9mm ejector for 9mm. No problem. No need to buy a whole second gun when that money can be spent on mags and reloading components. :wacko:

All true but you need to understand (perhaps you do) the limitations. Their are competition rules and safety concerns to be aware of. I guarantee you by time you buy fit and fiddle with parts mags barrels slides you will have spent dang near what a gun would have cost you anyway. Keep it simple.

As our illustrious administrator says "pick one and practice". :cheers:

Jim

All true but you need to understand (perhaps you do) the limitations. Their are competition rules and safety concerns to be aware of. I guarantee you by time you buy fit and fiddle with parts mags barrels slides you will have spent dang near what a gun would have cost you anyway. Keep it simple.

As our illustrious administrator says "pick one and practice". :cheers:

Jim

If I were buying the G35 slide I'd agree with you. But, I'm trading the 17L slide for it. :cheers:

And yeah I need to buy 6-7 G22 mags, but I'd have to do that even if I bought a complete G35! Plus, this particular G35 slide comes with nice sights on it already. :goof:

I understand that technically it wouldn't be a production legal gun, but my focus is on shooting Limited anyway.

No need to buy a whole second gun when that money can be spent on mags and reloading components. :wacko:

LWD G35 slide - 199.95

LWD G35 Barrel - 99.95

.40 Extractor - 19.95

Firing Pin + spring +cups + Spacer Sleeve - $54

Firing Pin Safety + spring - $6

Extractor Plunger & spring +Load Bearing - $10

Channel Liner - $3

2 .40 Mags - $44

.40 Ejector housing - $7.50

Slide Cover Plate - $3.50

--------------------------------------------------------

Total cost: about $450

Same package with an OEM Glock Barrel would be about $70 more.

Brand new G35 about $550 - $575

In addition good sights would run you another $100 or so. You will probably spend that in any case but if you buy a new gun you can decide when to spend that money. If you build your own slide you have to lay it out up front.

You can save $70 by moving the firing pin and extractor plunger groups from slide to slide but that becomes a real headache.

Is $100-$150 in savings really worth the headache of converting back and forth?

No need to buy a whole second gun when that money can be spent on mags and reloading components. :wacko:

LWD G35 slide - 199.95

LWD G35 Barrel - 99.95

.40 Extractor - 19.95

Channel Liner - $3

2 .40 Mags - $44

In addition good sights would run you another $100 or so. You will probably spend that in any case but if you buy a new gun you can decide when to spend that money. If you build your own slide you have to lay it out up front.

You can save $70 by moving the firing pin and extractor plunger groups from slide to slide but that becomes a real headache.

Yeah, it is. Mainly because the slide already has nice sights on it.

Besides that, I don't understand how swapping the ejector qualifies as a headahce.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I shoot a Glock 35 for both production and limited divisions. If you are worried about money don't forget that you will need to purchase a magwell and mag extensions with your purchase of a slide.

Dawson ICE already installed. :cheers:

Oh, and I have Arrendondo extensions on two of my 17 mags. Those can hop over to the 22 mags. :goof:

LWD G35 slide - 199.95

LWD G35 Barrel - 99.95

.40 Extractor - 19.95

Channel Liner - $3

2 .40 Mags - $44

Besides that, I don't understand how swapping the ejector qualifies as a headahce.

You will need to replace both the extractor and the ejector to have the reliability that you would want in competition. I have a G-35 and a conversion barrel so I am talking from first hand experience. Then you will inevitably forget to swap either one or the other or both at the most inconvenient time - speaking purely hypothetically of course. But maybe I am just a pessimist and thing will work out just right for you. Give it a shot.

Edited by sslav

LWD G35 slide - 199.95

LWD G35 Barrel - 99.95

.40 Extractor - 19.95

Channel Liner - $3

2 .40 Mags - $44

You will need to replace both the extractor and the ejector to have the reliability that you would want in competition. I have a G-35 and a conversion barrel so I am talking from first hand experience. Then you will inevitably forget to swap either one or the other or both at the most inconvenient time. But maybe I am just a pessimist and thing will work out just right for you. Give it a shot.

I'll give it a shot. I may eventually end up with two separate guns for .40 and 9mm but for now I think this setup will work well for me. I just spent a lot of money on mag pouches, belt, holster etc so I need to be kind of frugal for now. I don't want the wife to use the gun in question to end me. :ph34r:

I have a G17L. I may trade the slide for a G35 slide. My plan would be to use the .40 barrel to shoot limited major PF and production minor PF and use a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel to shoot steel challenge and just shoot in general because I have a TON of 9mm ammo.

Here's the question. I know I would need to use G17 mags for 9mm and G22 mags for .40 S&W and use the correct barrel for the respective calibers, but do any other parts in either the G35 slide or the G17 frame need to be swapped out when switching between calibers?

I will not speak on the legality of shooting different uppers on different lowers. I will tell you I have a 17 open gun lower that I have a 9mm and .40 upper for. I run the stock lower 9mm parts and just swap top ends and mags and it works. For the PSA shootout I run a 34 upper on a G22 lower because the 22 lower has a magwell and the 34 lower doesn't, I swap no other parts. I have heard of some trouble with new versus old trigger bars and striker tolerences (I had a gun double once or twice, so have 1911 fans). With a conversion barrel you may have some extractor issues. I would think if you ran a 9mm extractor it would work for both but I can not speak of them because I do not own one. FWIW in a pinch you can run 9mm in .40 cal mags and they work. YMMV

BTW .40 minor is the shizzle if you don't mind the extra cost.

I will not speak on the legality of shooting different uppers on different lowers. I will tell you I have a 17 open gun lower that I have a 9mm and .40 upper for. I run the stock lower 9mm parts and just swap top ends and mags and it works. For the PSA shootout I run a 34 upper on a G22 lower because the 22 lower has a magwell and the 34 lower doesn't, I swap no other parts. I have heard of some trouble with new versus old trigger bars and striker tolerences (I had a gun double once or twice, so have 1911 fans). With a conversion barrel you may have some extractor issues. I would think if you ran a 9mm extractor it would work for both but I can not speak of them because I do not own one. FWIW in a pinch you can run 9mm in .40 cal mags and they work. YMMV

BTW .40 minor is the shizzle if you don't mind the extra cost.

What extra cost? I load my own. :cheers:

I think I'm going to get the slide and order:

- LW 9mm conversion barrel

- Trigger housing w/.40 S&W ejector

- 9mm extractor and spring loaded bearing

The parts are easy enough to change and they're cheap.

Jman,

Technically --- not legal for production as a 17 was never produced in .40. However, unless it's one of the early 17 frames with a 17 on the corner of the trigger guard, how would one know? I've seen enough Glocks with different serial numbers out there, that I'm pretty certain there's some hybrid's floating around....

I have a G34 and a G35. The grip on the 35 has been modified so it is no longer legal for production or IDPA SSP. For the last four years I have continually swapped the slides between the two lowers depending on what ammo I have loaded and what I want to shoot. I've had no problems.

To keep things even simpler....I will suggest, since you load your own, to just shoot 40 minor. Believe it or not....it is much more pleasing to shoot than 9mm. For what you save in a 9mm barrel and other subsequent conversion parts, that will afford you the slight extra for the increase in cost of 40cal bullets. That money you save will cover the cost of 15k rounds easily if not a little more. Powder charge is pretty much on par or less with 9mm.

You also will not have any reliability concerns running the 9mm on a 40cal slide.

WOOPS.....missed the part in the OP about having lots of 9mm ammo. To simplify things. Trade it or sell it.