Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Type of shells for 3 gun

npolley

I always have some 3" buck just in case, along with some spreaders.

What are spreaders?

Spreaders are shells with a "special" wad that cause the shot pattern to "open up" or "spread" at a more rapid rate. In Sporting Clays, some shooters use a tight fixed choke. When they have a close target they will use a spreader shell to open up their patterns since they can't change chokes. My experience has been that Spreaders are generally more effective if used in a tightly choked barrel as opposed to a barrel with a more open choke.

Spreaders are used in 3gun for the same purpose. A more open pattern than a standard shell.

Phil G

Edited by Phil G

It seems as if #7-1/2 is the most used. I've also seen discussions of slugs and a couple mentions of 00 buckshot. I've also seen mention of #4 and #6.

What's not clear is what's used for what targets. I assume that if you have some steel at distance, you'd want slugs or buckshot. Would the #4 or #6 be used for mid-range steel?

What about #1 or even #2 rather than 00 buck?

And do all these different types of ammo get used in a single COF???

Graham, I try to keep things as simple as possible since managing a bunch of different loads will have you thinking about what to use when you should be figuring out how to shoot a particular course of fire, etc. I use Fiocchi #8, 1 1/8 0z., 1300 fps birdshot, Federal Flight Contol buckshot, and Fiocchi 7/8 oz. Slugs. Nothing else, ever, if I can help it. I don't believe that bigger birdshot is the way to go for longer steel targets. I use a tighter choke. Course designers will normally require either bird, buck, or slugs for a particular CoF, depending on thier intent for the course. Many will have club rules, etc. that limit maximum shot size. You usually don't see buckshot at those matches. IPSC style matches often have buckshot on paper scoring the best two individual pellet holes. Ususally buckshot-on-paper courses will incorporate some no-shoots to add to the challenge- hence the FFC. The Fiocchi #8s are reliable in all of my match shotguns and have an ounce and eighth of shot at a reasonable velocity. It is good for steel or clays. The 7/8 slugs are also very reliable, shoot a little flatter, group well with a variety of chokes, and have a quick-even snappy- recoil that I thinks helps with my splits.

I think the important thing is to pick reliable loads, learn what they do, and keep it as simple as possible. Hope this helps.

I use the Federal Bulk pack from Walmart (Field & Target Multi-Purpose Load - 3 dram, 1 1/8th oz, #7 1/2 shot) for most shots. I keep 6 shells of Winchester Super Speed Xtra 1oz #6 shot on an armband for stubborn targets. I use plain old Remington #4 buckshot, and Remington managed recoil slugs.

The ports on my 11-87 have been bored out A LOT, so high power loads tend to over cycle the bolt and turn it into a single shot (the bolt moves quicker than the shells can load onto the lifter).

I tend to run a Light Modified choke for stages with a lot of mixed targets (this is also the choke that I zero my slugs with), but will change to Cylinder for all clay stages, Improved Modified for stages with a lot of steel, and Full or even X-Full if there if far steel or tight shots around no-shoots.

So far, knock on wood, I have been able to handle everything with these shells / chokes.

Edited by HS101

• 3 weeks later...
I use plain old Remington #4 buckshot, and Remington managed recoil slugs.

This reminds me, I have seen buckshot mentioned several times but not the size. I had assumed that this was referring to 00 buck, but it seems that this might not be a valid assumption.

So, when people say "buckshot" what size is usually meant?

I just got these same exact shells from Wal-mart, just not in the value pack, for $7.57 per box. Gamaliel wants $18 to ship to my house, so it's cheaper for me to procure them locally.

Very good shells though!

My Wallyworld doent have them and Dicks is high. What I like about Gamaliel is I can order what I use and get consistancy in supply. With the local stores Im more at the supply and demand whim.

I am close enough to them I dont pay a ton in shipping as well. Shipping half way accross the country ads quite a bit. Im am a couple hundred miles.

Edited by tnek

• 3 months later...
I always have some 3" buck just in case, along with some spreaders.

What are spreaders?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=627100

Larger pattern usefull for speeding up at close range. I use them on all clays stages and sometimes on flippers and thrown clays. They may not reliably break rabbits or take down steel. You can buy the plastic spreader insert to load your own as well.

Typically I use 1 1/8 ounce #8 for most things, the spreaders for close and Rem reduced recoil slugs. I also take a box each of 1 1/2 ounce heavy game loads in #5 and #7 plus 22 pellet buckshot just in case.

IF you use Fiocchi spreaders, here is a little trick you must perform: Get a small tube of clear silicone sealant and squeeze a dab into the crimp opening. They are prone to dribbling out shot. I had 3 or 4 get in my tube on an all-shotgun stage once.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost always use #5 or #6 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz shot shells. Reason is I've been shooting a cylinder bore and the 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz takes down the star and plates when less payload and power doesn't. I've even knocked 2 plates down with one shot.

I'm debating having it threaded for a choke this year before I go to a big match. I don't think I would do as well at a 30 - 40 yard steel popper with on open choke even with potent shells.

I almost always use #5 or #6 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz shot shells. Reason is I've been shooting a cylinder bore and the 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz takes down the star and plates when less payload and power doesn't.

Use a choked barrel so you can use light birdshot, your shoulder will thank you!

I almost always use #5 or #6 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz shot shells. Reason is I've been shooting a cylinder bore and the 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz takes down the star and plates when less payload and power doesn't.

Use a choked barrel so you can use light birdshot, your shoulder will thank you!

You are right about that! I'd love to use my 1 oz skeet loads.