Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which extractor to get?

ParaGunner

I just got a .40 1911 and need a new extractor for it. Not to many extractors are made specifically for a .40, can a 38/9mm extractor be used? I know about the Aftec but I am not ready to spend $60 on it . Has any one using the Ed Brown Match Extractor for .40cal? Which extractor should I get? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :cheers:

I would recommend the aftec. It's a drop in install and you don't have to tune it to get it to run properly.

If you know how to tune a extractor, get a standard extractor. IIRC sv and ed brown sells caliber specific extractors.

I just got a .40 1911 and need a new extractor for it. Not to many extractors are made specifically for a .40, can a 38/9mm extractor be used? I know about the Aftec but I am not ready to spend $60 on it . Has any one using the Ed Brown Match Extractor for .40cal? Which extractor should I get? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :cheers:

The phrase penny-wise, pound foolish, comes to mind here. ;)

The AFTEC is worth the extra $....you're only talking about $30-40 and the extractor is probably the most important part of a 1911 if you want it to really run. The shorter the case (think 9mm and 40 here) the more important the extractor is in a 1911 because there's more time/distance where the case isn't being guided by the chamber as it extracts. When the front of the case is free of the chamber bad things start to happen with inconsistent or insufficient extractor tension. That's where the AFTEC really shines. R,

:surprise:

Use ED Browns caliber specific 40 extractor, Aftecs arent really necessary.

Jim

Sailors :devil::P

I wasn't aware that Ed Brown made a specific .40 extractor. I agree that the Aftec isn't necessary. Why replace 1 part with 5?

From the online catalog....

1300 Extractor, 40S&W, 10mm 70 or 80 Series Blue $25.95

Lee

I'm not a fan of the Aftec. I like the conventional design. That is because I now how to properly tune them. But the Dawson and Brazos tuned extractors come pretty ready to run out of the package for 1/3 the price of an Aftec. EGW has their new Super Duty extractor available in 9/38 now. I've been using the 45 SD extractor since it came out and its hands down the best extractor I have used in a 45. I'd look into getting a tuned Dawson or Brazos or the EGW SD.

What type of fitting would be needed to instaall the Aftec if it doesn't drop in?

Some filling filing off the rear so it is flush with the slide and some tension adjustment (in my case, more than just "tuning" the springs).

Edited by Cy Soto

What type of fitting would be needed to instaall the Aftec if it doesn't drop in?

You have to break the edges of the firing pin stop where the two meet....gives a radius to the FPS so the AFTEC can pivot on it properly. That's maybe five minutes worth of work. I've put AFTECs in four or five guns now and none have required trimming for length (although you do have to check that it's not hitting the barrel). Every slide and barrel combo will be different so I'm sure some require having the nose shortened a bit, but it's not a difficult thing to do. All the guns I've set up have run properly with both springs in it. Some guns like only one spring...you can experiement with just the front, or just the back. I've heard a few folks have taken the springs and squeezed them to make them shorter for a little less tension. The very back end (the part that projects from the back of the slide) is long so you can trim it to fit (doesn't have any influence on how it works).

I know how to properly tune an extractor, and did it for years, but now it's simply not necessary. I've watched everything from newbies to a high-level GM tuning an extractor at a big match because their guns started puking....but I haven't seen that with AFTEC equipped guns. During a big match I recall one of those guys taking his gun to Derek from Millennium and having him fit an AFTEC during a break; it ran perfectly after that. I don't think they even tried to test-fire it....just came straight back to the squad and shot.

I had one gun start to have ramdom extraction issues, put an AFTEC in the gun, trimmed the back flush and it's gone many thousands of rounds since then with nothing done to it...not a single failure of any kind since then.

I'm sure some folks out there have had a bad experience with an AFTEC, but it sure doesn't seem to be common. We hear folks complaining about their extractor being bad all the time, but where are all the similar comments about AFTECs going bad or causing a problem? R,

hi dear shooting friends, I'm an italian shooter by a ADC custom gun of Roberto Dallera, an italian gunsmith, a system colt hc gun with a para frame and a lightened caspian frame for standard/limited division

however, I use sti .40 extractor for 30K rounds and never one problem, I have always one with me in my shooting bag for raplace ... they need a little experience to fit them for the lenght, not to meet the brass body, and the radius of the hook, but it is one of the thing that I think a shooter have to know ... brownells or brazos have informations about this

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10261/g...ctor_Adjustment

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm

but let me ask something about aftec that interest me very much, how many shots do you have with yours?

thanks to all

luca

post-22505-1262431536_thumb.jpg