Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hearing steel hits?

jmurch

One idea Ive heard, but havent tried yet is setting up paper plates in the shape of plate rack and shoot like you would steel plates-except you cant hear it so u have to rely on the "called shot" to know whether to shoot it again or move on.

The way to run plate racks is to call your shots run the rack then look back to see if you missed any before hitting the stop plate. This from my mentor who won World Shoot and Steel Challege many times. We have man on man shoot off this Saturday, a little more challenging than the clock.

• 2 years later...

I just read a chapter in brians book last night that talked about this very topic. If you are waiting to hear your shots you will never improve to reach your you best. you will never learn to call your shots. Try doubling up on ear protection so you are forced to learn to call your shots. It may be hard at first but you will be a lot faster later.

Lots of good info here. I am another new shooter, got to shoot one Steel Challenge last year and one USPSA match.

Maybe it is the way our clubs steel is mounted but I learned that listening for the hit will not work.

I shot more than one stage where I hit dead center of the plate but wound up wasting 2 or 3 extra shots because when I hit close to center, the plate had almost no sound to it. Some targets I actually hit 3 times but didn't catch it til I launched the third shot. The RO would laugh and say your shooting well but stop listening for the ring!

My eyes were moving so I didn't clearly see the hit and when my ears didn't hear it I would react immediately pulling back and shooting at the plate again.

The first time I did it the RO laughed and said "There no bonus if you hit it more than once...."

So now I am working on learning as much as possible.....that is what lead me here!

Should be able to see the steel shake? I guess it depends on how it is hung.

But this also leads to one of my pet peeves about steel shooting. Paint the friggin' plates!! At the local USPSA match the steel is pretty much painted after every shooter. But the local steel match will run every shooter and never paint. After 60+ shooters the plates are gray.

How do they handle disputes over whether the steel was hit?

BB

Should be able to see the steel shake? I guess it depends on how it is hung.

But this also leads to one of my pet peeves about steel shooting. Paint the friggin' plates!! At the local USPSA match the steel is pretty much painted after every shooter. But the local steel match will run every shooter and never paint. After 60+ shooters the plates are gray.

How do they handle disputes over whether the steel was hit?

BB

Our steel match is pretty informal. I honestly don't recall anybody ever arguing a call.smile.gif Probably a few reasons. Either you are not all that good of a shooter and probably did miss or you are a better shooter and you know there is NO WAY to ever settle an argument over a call if the plates are no longer white. Like I said it's more of a social function than a shooting match at times.