Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ed Brown vs STI ambi safety?

bkeeler

I am in the process of getting parts together for a new Limited build. I can not decide on the ambi safety Ed Brown wide or STI ambi. I have an STI on my limited gun now and like it never had a problem with it. Is there an advantage to the wide Brown safety? The STI is .976 inches long and .223 inches wide and the Brown is .986 long and .276 wide. Not much difference. For those that have used both STI and Ed Brown wide safties which do you prefer? I did a search and some people had a problem with the Brown saftey hitting their knuckle on their trigger finger. Did not see anything in my search of comparing the 2 safeties.

Thanks,

BK

*EDIT*

Between the two, I'd go with the Brown. The extra width does feel better. Unless some material is removed off of the weak side safety, my nuckle will occasionally rub against it.

I actually like the Wilson ambis over either of the above.

Edited by al503

I have Browns on my Lim gun and STIs on the open. The wider Ed Brown is more comfortable for my small hands. I also have an EGW non- ambi fitted to my open gun and its insanely tough. Thicker than anything I've ever seen and completely machined from bar stock. If you don't need the ambi, its unreal. Best I've ever touched by FAR.

Hello: I use the Ed Brown wide safeties. I contour the back edge so it does not hit my knuckles for weak or strong hand shooting. I am now going to use just a single sided safety since I have seen too many ambi safeties go bad at the wrong time :surprise: The STI and Wilson ambi safeties are all simular except the outside contour. Pick one and make it fit your hand is what I suggest. Thanks, Eric

The STI will eventually break....at least most of them do. The Ed Brown probably won't break, but, if it does, it will take a lot longer. Get an SV and it will likely never break....similar shape to the Ed Brown.

You can shape any of them to feel exactly how you want....a little time with a Dremel tool is all it takes. R,