Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 general maintenance

cas

I'll ask this here as you guys would probably know better;

I have to chuckle about all the threads I see about keeping 1100's running.

I have a Rem 1100LT-20 that my father bought me when I was 16. I'm 40 now.

In all those years I've done absolutely nothing to it, other than spray it inside and out with G96. I have had the loading jam where you don't press the shell into the tube far enough and it pushes back under the lifter/carrier tying up the gun. But other than that, I don't think I've ever had a shooting malfunction in all those years.

So my question is... is there something I SHOULD have done at some point? Seals or O-rings than should be periodically replaced? Obviously if it aint broke don't fix it, but my concern is that I might be doing harm to the gun in some way if something is worn (or not even there anymore)?

For routine maintenance and upkeep, I cannot say it better that the guy in this thread. I have followed this general approach and have had relatively trouble-free operation from my 15-year old 11-87. Yes, parts can still break, but if you replace failure-prone parts before a big match, the failures should not happen when it matters.

in all the yrs i have been abusing my 11-87 the only thing it has broken was the bottom gas ring that actually sits ontop of the action bars, it was the last shot ofthe final stage requiring a shotgun....lucky me, the upside??? a friend of mine and I tag teamedthat shotgun for a steel challenge match with shotguns, we collectively fired 536 shells thru it in one afternoon with nary a hiccup....btw...it now has the new 'one' piece gas ring in it

You are doing good. Oil and checking/replacing the o-ring if its dry or cracked is about it. My first auto was an 1100 when i was about 12-14 yrs old. Used it Dove and Quail hunting in Arizona for years as well as some trp and skeet. I never did anything to it but put a bit of oil on it from time to time. I have no idea how many cases of full power dove and quail loads it had in it. I inherited a sportsman 48 from my uncle who accompanied us on many a trips afield. Something broke inside it and i heard it ratlting around in the reciever. I dissasembled it and a piece of metal about 1/2" long and 1/8" square came out. Never figured out what it was, but the gun still ran fine. Its still running today.

...Something broke inside it and i heard it ratlting around in the reciever. I dissasembled it and a piece of metal about 1/2" long and 1/8" square came out. Never figured out what it was, but the gun still ran fine. Its still running today.

Now that is bizarre... a couple of years back the exact same thing happened to me. I never got to the bottom of it either, and the gun has run just fine ever since :roflol: .

For routine maintenance and upkeep, I cannot say it better that the guy in this thread. I have followed this general approach and have had relatively trouble-free operation from my 15-year old 11-87. Yes, parts can still break, but if you replace failure-prone parts before a big match, the failures should not happen when it matters.

That thread about says it all. I have seen 1100's with fatigued mainsprings that have battered the receiver. We all change the recoil springs in our pistols at regular intervals, but many of us have never changed the recoil spring in our SGs!!

change a recoil spring in my remmy??? daft i say!!!! hehehehe till my 'smith friend showed me a bunch of duck hunters 1100's that had been underwater and in his shop fortheir yearly 'clean an oil' wow....its amazingthey still work....

as for me changing out mine???? i still have the scars from cleaning the inside ofthe receiver the first couple of times(damn, them edges are sharp)