Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super to 9MM

Glockcomma

I've seen it done but supposedly the owner says the accuracy isn't all that great.

The 9mm is a tapered case and the 38 super is a straight wall case.

I've seen the gun run and it works fairly well but I wouldn't recommended it.

I'm sure this idea will be shot down in no time, but would a special Time Sert type insert be feasible to convert a 38 Super barrel to 9MM?

I'm not sure how you'd get that to work. The diameter of 9mm is larger than .38 Super just above the extractor groove so putting an insert in would make the chamber diameter even smaller, when it needs to be larger.....so that alone won't work. You'd have to do something like bore out the chamber even larger and then have a tapered insert made (since 9mm is tapered). In the end, you'd pay enough in gunsmithing that could be used to buy a lot of brass or a new barrel.

One of my old supers has a lose slide and the barrel is about shot out. I just picked up a used slide barrel and comp (very low round count) in 9 mm. If I don't like 9 mm looks like my goose is cooked as the chamber is to big. Didn't know that.

A friend of mine just had a 9 mm barrel fit, now if he wants to shoot 9 mm he puts the 9 in, if he wants to shot 38 Super he just puts that barrel in. (they both have comps).

In the grand scheme of things a barrel and comp isn't much money less than 2 cases of bullets. But then if your doing it because of the brass you will be making money?

member runNgun should be able to give you a bit more info. not sure if he press fit the sleeve or did something like a time sert.

Like every one says, it sounds like you'll end up incurring more gunsmithing fees than what its worth.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, on the topic of conversions, I need some help (which I am sure is posted somewhere else) I am looking at buying a new open pistol and found one that is a 38 super. I have been advised to shoot 38 super comp. Now I thought (and have read elsewhere) that 38 supercomp was just rimless 38 super. Both straight walled cases. If this is the case you could convert a gun between 38 super and 38 super comp by changing the extractor, since the chamber was the same. NOW I have just been told by Dillon that the cases are different, one is tapered and the other is straight walled and you cannot interchange. What is the straight dope on these case differences?

The extractor can be changed or it can be cut an tuned for going from 38 Super to SuperComp. There was an article with pictures in front sight about mid 2009.

The Die used to load 38 Super and Super Comp are the same. On a Dillon XL650 the conversion kit comes with a .223 Rem shellplate, this holds the super comp better and will jam with 38 Super. The 9 mm/38 Super shell plate will work with either just not as slick with 38 SuperComp or TJ.

The confusion might stem from 9 mm being tapered rather than straight walled.

The Comp brass is supposed to be a little stronger and last more reloadings, but the big draw is getting just one more round in the big stick.

I shoot comp and it works find. My guns will run regular 38 Super as well, both have Aftec extractors.

The extractor can be changed or it can be cut an tuned for going from 38 Super to SuperComp. There was an article with pictures in front sight about mid 2009.

The Die used to load 38 Super and Super Comp are the same. On a Dillon XL650 the conversion kit comes with a .223 Rem shellplate, this holds the super comp better and will jam with 38 Super. The 9 mm/38 Super shell plate will work with either just not as slick with 38 SuperComp or TJ.

The confusion might stem from 9 mm being tapered rather than straight walled.

The Comp brass is supposed to be a little stronger and last more reloadings, but the big draw is getting just one more round in the big stick.

I shoot comp and it works find. My guns will run regular 38 Super as well, both have Aftec extractors.

This is exactly what I had thought, I am surprised that the guy at Dillon would tell me that they were different.

Super is .015 larger than Super Comp so the radius is .0075 less which is why a lot of Supers will shoot Super Comp or will with a minor extractor tweek. 38 Super, 38 Super Comp and 38 TJ are all straight wall cases with the difference being in the rim, 9x19, 9x21 and 9x23 are all tapered cases.

Tim

This is exactly what I had thought, I am surprised that the guy at Dillon would tell me that they were different.

One thing is that Super is SAAMI spec'd as having a .384" base and neck diameter. .38SC tends to be either .379 or .380" (Starline brass and nickel).

If it was my gun I'd put a Supercomp AFTEC in it and call it good.

SC is definitely thicker in the web, so it has a bit less case capacity. That normally means you'll need a tenth or two less powder with SC than you would for standard Super brass. R,

What has been done by others is to machine a sleeve that is press fit into the chamber with loctite 680 that is about 4mm long. The chamber is then reamed to 9x19.

The bullet has a long way to go before it gets to the lands and groves and accuracy suffers. The insert usually follows the brass out of the chamber or is pulled out during cleaning.

runNgun bored the chamber and press fit a chamber length sleeve of 416ss and re cut the chamber to 9x19. He reports that this did not group so well due to the distance the bullet has to travel before the rifling. the gun would still keep most of the shots in the A-zone at 50 yds. ok for the not-so-serious shooter??

When asked about the price of the conversion? "NOT worth the effort, about the price of a new barrel fit to the gun"

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the range with a very experienced shooter. He was shooting 9mm through his 38 super. It was in a SS. He was grouping at 1 inch at 18 yards. No failures, malfunctions etc. The accuracy was there for a regular match.

I would not run an insert even if if it was $0. Sounds like a part ready to loosen or break with the torture test we put a serious competition gun through.

Yea you can shoot 9mm in a 38Super or 38SuperComp in a 38 Super but why would you? You can probably use your Glock mags and holster, heck try the CZ top end on it too.

What is up with people running the wrong caliber ammo in a gun? Make it in 9mm if you want a 9mm. Just cause it works once or twice doesn't mean it couldn't be doing long term damage. You know a 9mm in a Super is jumping an extra 4 mm that it shouldn't. Oh and slamming into the throat probably "on the rise".

Here's an analogy. Sure your can use a metric wrench on a standard bolt. You can probably take the bolt off without damage and be a pitstop hero. You will probably round it off eventually by doing this.

Your chamber and headspace will probably "round off" too since its at 40,000 cups or psi and a bit of heat.

The calibers are different sizes or "specs" so I prefer using the correct ammo, extractor, chamber, etc for my gun. I guess you could counter that if its close in spec then why not? Well sure tolerences for variation are there but I stand by the idea to use your correct stuff.