Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 load data

motorcycle_dan

Searched the forums and came up with MANY loads for the 9mm. My Goal is a load for the Bianchi Cup in a G34

(Like walk'n into a library and ask'n for read'n material.)

My concerns, >120 PF (looking for 130~135PF)

Which bullet 115 or 125? Most of the data suggest the heavier 124gr bullet. Is there an issue with the 115gr?

The lead the moving target I understand. Lead based upon muzzle velocity. Is this a problem for the the 124gr?

Accuracy, this is a Glock but I'd like to get it as accurate as possible at the 50yd range. I'm a bullseye shooter so want to take advantage of my accuracy and hope to compensate for my slow speed.

Is there a magic pill for loaded ammo or pet re-load for Action Pistol competition.

Thanks

Are you wanting to run lead/plated/moly/jacketed? Does smoke bother you?

Im interested in some opinions on this also, looking to start shooting AP. Im thinking Titegroup, Solo 1000, W-231 would be good ones to start with.

Im going to do some testing with 147gr and 124gr and the above powders.

For 9mm in production I would look at 124-5gr JHP and in and around 1000-1020fps, 115gr is fine, the recoil is snappier than the 125gr if you ran an open gun then the 115gr and the extra gas you get from the higher velocity will work the comp, you don't have a comp so getting extra velocity and gas is no advantage. But at the same time it is simple. Whatever shoots the best at 50 will be to your advantage. If it is the 115gr then manage the recoil.

Any good primer (I prefer Federals), and good brass all from the same batch. If you have lots of once fired from the same manufacturer put 1000 aside as match brass. You will not be getting it back at the Cup.

N320, Titegroup, 231, and anything else in that burnrate is best. Soft recoil is best, without compromising the accuracy. I would also look at Universal Clays just in case you have issues with the faster burners.

The 1000 fps is a good compromise for accuracy, soft recoil, and lead on the mover without having to hold over too much at 50Y on practical.

I have a set of calculations for lead. If you want PM me your email address and I will forward the file.

I have tried a Glock 17 and I like it for Prod, but a 34 would be better.

My Goal is a load for the Bianchi Cup in a G34

My concerns, >120 PF (looking for 130~135PF)

Which bullet 115 or 125? Most of the data suggest the heavier 124gr bullet. Is there an issue with the 115gr?

The lead the moving target I understand. Lead based upon muzzle velocity. Is this a problem for the the 124gr?

Accuracy, this is a Glock but I'd like to get it as accurate as possible at the 50yd range. I'm a bullseye shooter so want to take advantage of my accuracy and hope to compensate for my slow speed.

Thanks

I just tried 115 gr, 124 gr and 147 gr MG in my Browning Hi-Power,

using loads of WW231 to reach pf 130.

The 115 and 124 grains did NOT provide decent accuracy, but the

147 is twice as accurate as either the 115 or the 124 (half the group

size).

I used 3.6 grains WW231 and got a pf of 132 - and accurate.

But, most likely vary from gun to gun - if you're looking for accuracy

at 50 yards, try each of the bullet weights in YOUR gun.

All else being equal, I'd think that the higher velocity would give you

the best lead time on the mover, though?

Good luck.

Hello: The longer bullets will be more accurate most of the time. So I would use the 147gr bullets. I know with my Glock 34 the Precision 147 grain bullet is much more accurate then the 115,121, and 125grain bullets. You may also look at some heavier weight 9mm bullets as well. It will come down what combo works for you. I use Tite Group powder, Winchester primers(WSP) and the Precision 147gr for steel and IDPA. For Production I use the 121grain Montana Golds. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The longer bullets will be more accurate most of the time. So I would use the 147gr bullets. I know with my Glock 34 the Precision 147 grain bullet is much more accurate then the 115,121, and 125grain bullets. You may also look at some heavier weight 9mm bullets as well. It will come down what combo works for you. I use Tite Group powder, Winchester primers(WSP) and the Precision 147gr for steel and IDPA. For Production I use the 121grain Montana Golds. Thanks, Eric

Eric, Do you shoot NRA action pistol? How much do you have to lead the moving target using the 147 gr? I agree the heavier bullets I prefer for accuracy and less recoil but afraid the slower bullet will make my hold on the mover completely off the target.

Hello: Sorry I don't shoot NRA action pistol. I do shoot lots of poppers,bobbers,movers, Texas stars and a Polish plate rack this weekend maybe :roflol: I don't think you will have to change your lead that much with the 147's. If you do then just add more powder to taste :cheers: Thanks, Eric

125s at 1000fps vs. 147s at 1000fps is nearly 25 power factor difference.

To run 147s at 125power factor, you'd have to slow them to about 850fps.

That will probably be about an inch and eighth difference?

That's close. The lead for 1000fps @ 25 yds is 9". Exactly the edge of the target. The lead @ 25yds/850 fps is 10.6", or 1.6" off the target. If you can get the faster/lighter bullets to be accurate, that's the way to go. Doug Koenig shoots 115s and said he'd shoot 95 grainers for the speed if they'd give him the accuracy, but it just isn't there in a 9mm bullet.

Alan~^~