Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need your help in regards to iron sights...

ger

I have been shooting some uspsa limited pistol and now the local club has "kinda a 3 gun match", and I have this dpms I bought before I really read anything and knew even less than I know now.

Its a heavy barrel 16" version flat top,came with no irons or optics. I bought a Eotech long ago and a 3 x magnifier mainly because it looked cool, it just seems bulky now that I have gone to shoot with it once (match), honestly I have a hard time picking up the optics when I look through it (probably from lack of practice) but I am a limited shooter for the same reason, I cannot find the dot as fast as I see the irons.

So before I go spending money that is wasted this time I figured I would ask those who know. Or at least some guidance.

Using for matches / target / and tactical. I guess I would like to be able to use the EO with if I desire to. Then again after reading these forums it looks I might need a 1x4 optical if I pursue any further in this.

But in the mean time your help is appreciated.

Ger

I might add the little gun seems to shoot good but with the HB its a heavy sucker for sure lol. I dont mind at the level I am at now and shooting it, as is, before I go spending $$$ on new uppers etc is the smart thing for me now, so all advice on the gun is appreciated as far as small upgrades here and there along the road. I am happy to have it, although the sights are my major concern.

Edited by ger

What sort of distances will you generally shoot? And what do you figure will be your max 3-gun range?

Whatever you have might deserve to be used more than in the pressure of a match. Give yourself some time to get used to it and then give it a try under your local conditions, after practicing a bit. You own it, give it a fair try instead of just jumping on and spending more money right away.

To start, use what you have.

What sort of distances will you generally shoot? And what do you figure will be your max 3-gun range?

Whatever you have might deserve to be used more than in the pressure of a match. Give yourself some time to get used to it and then give it a try under your local conditions, after practicing a bit. You own it, give it a fair try instead of just jumping on and spending more money right away.

To start, use what you have.

it seems like from point blank to 250 yds, withe majority being 20yds to 100yds. so you are saying the EO with the multiplier are good?

I think I would still like to try some irons so I can get a fair test for myself on which is better for me

Whatever you have might deserve to be used more than in the pressure of a match
and that right there my friend is exactly why I was thinking simple, look down a pipe get a reference and fire, and for me not fiddle with buttons and then look around for the dot.

I guess another reason I was thinking trying irons is a saw a couple guys seem to be hitting things fine with no optics, hell I am just confused..lol

Thanks for your input and thoughts

With Irons, sight radius is a huge factor (the longer, the better). You could get a clamp on front sight base and put it right behind your comp/flashider/muzzle device and essentially have the sight radius of a 20" rifle. There are front sight bases that are fixed and some that flip up. There are several types of rear sights that attach to flat top rails. Some flip up and others are fixed in the up position. I don't know if you will have room for a sight, magnifier and EO Tech though. You could probably put sights on it for less than $200. Give the Irons a try, it's lots of fun :cheers:

Hurley

I am willing to take the EOtech off for a bit and see what up with the Iron sights (you are correct there is no room) , my gun has a bull barrel and was not sure about the clamp ons working or available for the bull barrel. It does have a rail mount on the gas block in front of handguard, so the sight radius is gonna be what it is...

Its hard to see on this picture but it shows Robby Johnson in the ERC in Norway this year , he is shooting an 18 inch barrel but extended his sight radius by putting his rear sight more back with a rail extension ,this way he has the same sight radius as the 20 inch barrel and the frontsight put to the end off the barrel.

post-1530-1260751868_thumb.jpg

Edited by patrickbeijer

sounds like I may have the wrong gun for trying the iron sights, hmmm

maybe I will give it a run and if I like it and see that my accuracy is not quite there on the long shots I know I have to goto longer upper. what kind of rear sight is that Hannu?

Are you running a flip to the side mount on the magnifier? If not I would say get a flip to the side mount or decide if you have more close or more distance targets. If you have mostly close targets I would run the dot only and loose the magnifier. With the eotech the key is to concentrate on the target not the dot which just kinda floats on the target.

If you need it lighter adco can always reprofile the barrel for you

Edited by EkuJustice

You might consider have the barrel turned down for a more manageable weight. It is something commonly done and IMO has zero affect on "usable" accuracy. You can have it done by just about any gunsmith for ~$75.00 and then pick up either a take off integrated gas block front sight or buy any one of a number of really good clamp on or screw on front sights available for the skinny barrel. I have has several cut down by Benny @ Triangle and had really good results with them... :cheers:

Are you running a flip to the side mount on the magnifier? If not I would say get a flip to the side mount or decide if you have more close or more distance targets. If you have mostly close targets I would run the dot only and loose the magnifier. With the eotech the key is to concentrate on the target not the dot which just kinda floats on the target.

If you need it lighter adco can always reprofile the barrel for you

I have a flip to side mount, I saw somewhere in here about the turning barrel down, the more I read the more I think maybe I should just buy a 18/20 inch barrel.

I will try that method of using the eotech.

I guess its not that I hate the Eotech or anything as much as it just seems bulky. I never had iron sights on the gun, have not shot one with irons, kinda want to experiment with one. I bought a rear flip down from a member on the classified a M1, so now I gotta find a front flip down that will work with it. Then I will play around and see what direction I want to go...optic / dot / iron (he also had a millet 1x4 so I bought that to ..lol) ,

I am so new to this AR stuff I cannot get enough advice. Please do not stop I am in need of as much direction as possible.

Thanks to everyone for guiding me

• 1 year later...

Sight radius is a huge factor. One rifle I built with Anschutz front sight, see photo below :

post-11855-1260750506_thumb.jpg

Hannu, nice looking rifle. Which Anschutz sight/iris did you use on this rifle? I have been looking at them and have no idea which direction to go. Also, are you still building rifles for others? As I see your posts they make sense, more and more. for example, .223 chambers vs. others. Any random thoughts on barrel twists? :cheers:

thank you,

glen

Lipski makes a clamp on base that accepts the Lyman 93 MJT which in turn uses Anshutz inserts. ($150 for both)

Alternatively JP makes a A2 front sight adjustable gas block that clamps onto the barrel, $100, and PRI makes a nice flip down version and is $170/YHM makes something similar for $80. ("Others" makes clamp on flip down front sights too, but am setting up a NC22 with a RRA NM removable carry handle rear with the JP A2 front sight) Another alternate would be to use a picatinny gas block that clamps to the barrel and then use a q/d front sight.

Lipski makes a clamp on base that accepts the Lyman 93 MJT which in turn uses Anshutz inserts. ($150 for both)

Alternatively JP makes a A2 front sight adjustable gas block that clamps onto the barrel, $100, and PRI makes a nice flip down version and is $170/YHM makes something similar for $80. ("Others" makes clamp on flip down front sights too, but am setting up a NC22 with a RRA NM removable carry handle rear with the JP A2 front sight) Another alternate would be to use a picatinny gas block that clamps to the barrel and then use a q/d front sight.

:cheers: I am familiar with the Lipski. I have the JP/Lyman/gas block combo(5.5oz) but it is too heavy in my opinion for use at the end of my barrel with a SJC Comp(5oz or so). If the Lyman was made of aluminum it would be much better. I picked up a Riles Highboy 22mm front sight which is exquisitely made and am trying to figure out exactly which Anschutz/Gehmann/Centra adjustable iris to screw into it. Anybody here who crosses over into Palma or Highpower and might have experience with adjustable irises?