Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Greetings

AriM

Greetings to all. I am not exactly new here (have been reading the forum for almost a year), but decided it was time to join. My hobby/interest in shooting has somehow turned into an obsession.

It seems that I am building pistols and ammo myself now (heaven forbid). I am not sure when the conversion began, well I take that back....it began with the purchase of a plain jane 1911 (SA g.i model)...of course the intention was for a "project gun", but it has somehow turned into more....YIKES!!! this gets expensive fast....

so now the "project" has turned into a desire to start shooting competition (not because I have some delusions of grandeur, but more because I want to test my build/ammo in a more stringent environment)...

so now that I think I know a thing or two about comp. guns and reloading, I thought I would come here and thoroughly embarrass myself, by spewing self-acquired knowledge and giving out my opinions...LOLOLOLOLOL!!! :rolleyes:

on another note, maybe by making an utter fool of myself I will learn something from the real pro's....lessons leading to growth, are often painful...

maybe there is a good section to start posting some pics and documentation of my work? (pistol builds and load data)....any suggestions from the forum would be very greatly appreciated....yes, I am seeking validation :surprise:

HUGS & KISSES from the beautiful sunny state of California (where the law won't allow me to buy a pre-built competition pistol....YAY!!!!)

Ari M.

here is the obligatory gun/flashlight/knife/ammo/accessories picture.....pleased be gentle....!!! LOL here is what has been done to the gun

1. Lower and flare ejection port

2. Hand fit Kart NM barrel and bushing

3. hand fit EGW oversized firing pin stop (chamfer and radius bottom edge)(EDIT: the radius has been increased thanks to a wonderful teaching experience from Matt Cheely...thanks Matt)

4. hand fit/tuned EGW HD extractor

5. wolff extra power firing pin spring

6. Dawson precision "tool-less" FLGR

7. hand tuning "lock-up"....0.57 (happy range)

8. polishing and contouring of breech face

9. throating, chamfering, ramping and polishing of the barrel chamber (barrel has also been honed)

10. Wolff 16.5 pound "variable" recoil spring (still playing with that)

11. EGW "oversized Heavy Duty slide stop" .203" (chamfered/reamed slide stop hole and fit bottom lugs)

12. contouring bottom lugs and frame "recoil lug" (hits nice and high on the bbl. lugs now)

13. polish and shape (also cut radius) frame feed ramp

14. extended ejector (contoured, cut shaped and radius to be gentle on brass)

15. under cut trigger guard and flattened

16. under cut and flattening of trigger guard "front strap"

17. blending of dust cover into frame (dehorning and radiusing)

18. blending of ALL trigger guard mating surfaces

19. chamfering and restaking new plunger tube (deep chamfers on the inside of the frame for more flattening of stakes)

20. wilson plunger pins and wolff plunger spring

21. EGW HD machined thumb safety

22. STI Long Carbon and titanium trigger (hand fit and tuned)

23. Wilson "oversized" mag catch and checkered release button....(also tuned the spring tension with the wolff mag catch master spring pack...I am running a #3 spring)

24. C&S Ultra Light speed II Chamfered Hammer, Low Mass Sear, Low Mass Disconnector (polished/fit)

25. Wolff 17 pound Hammer Spring/mainspring

26. Wolff Sear spring (cut and retuned)

27. C&S TiN coated oversized hammer and sear pins (hand fit)

28. C&S hardened hammer strut pin

29. C&S hard chromed mag catch plunger/pin

30. Ed Brown "memory groove" grip safety

31. Frame cut/contoured/blended with Grip safety

32. EGW titanium "extended" hammer strut

33. EGW short titanium main spring cap

34. C&S mainspring cap retainer pin

35. C&S mainspring housing pin retainer

36. Dawson Precision ICE magwell and checkered MSH

37. Inner parts of frame blended and contoured for magwell

38. Hogue "palm-swell" rubber grips

39. Wilson Hex (cap-head) grip screws

40. Slide to frame fitting (lapping as well)

41. hand polishing of frame (flashing and burr removal)

42. refinishing of slide and safeties in "textured ultra-flat black" (with textured clear coat)

43. clear coat on polished steel frame

44. WHEW!!!!!

I did ALL of the work myself and I am no professional gunsmith, but I took my time, and learned a lot in the process (been working on it for a year now). I still have a few things to do (maybe a new slide/sights and some additional checkering and contouring)....I sure did make a lot of mistakes, and ruined a few parts (I undercut the first grip safety for a different trigger, and it didn't work with the new trigger)....but I put my heart and a lot of pride and blood (literally, you should see my battle scars) into this gun....so far all of my friends and family members who have seen/shot this one, want me to build them one (poor bastards)....it's a tack driver and, even though, it doesn't have any fancy red dot scope or compensated barrel...it's my work and I love the gun....for me it is as close to the perfect pistol, that I have ever owned/fired....not because it's better, but because it's built for my hand (I even measured my grip/hand radius to do the undercuts).....please be gentle with the comments :unsure:

new1911.jpg

Edited by AriM

Oooooohhhh, pretty. :D

I am sure you have seen some amazing guns Duane, so thank you for the comment....makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :cheers:

also thank you for the gracious welcome....!!!! I hope to be contributing all I can....I don't have much to offer....I am more of a tinkerer than a shooter, but as my learning continues....I will be more than glad to share my experiences....and hopefully they help a few folks at some point...

If you've been lurking for a year, you probably realize that Brians forum is like wonderland for a shooter. I think it's pretty cool when people decide to learn how to do things on their own. I know you'll find A BUNCH of good advice and really helpful information. Welcome and have a blast! There's a lot of really nice folks that hang here!

If you've been lurking for a year, you probably realize that Brians forum is like wonderland for a shooter. I think it's pretty cool when people decide to learn how to do things on their own. I know you'll find A BUNCH of good advice and really helpful information. Welcome and have a blast! There's a lot of really nice folks that hang here!

Thank you very much....my grandfather was a tinkerer....he built damn near everything he owned himself...I learned from him, that if you want it done right....well you know how it goes.....

also it is easy to send something off to someone and have it return different, but there is no fun in that.....to me it's much more about the journey....

plus gunsmithing and ammunition building can't be a bad set of skills to have when the SHTF n(I hope to god it never does, but the way things are going) :unsure:

I am sure you have seen some amazing guns Duane, so thank you for the comment....makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :cheers:

Yer welcome. :)

There has to be something pretty special about shooting a gun you built yourself, for yourself. Especially if it works! :lol: I even feel a bit of that for the Glock 17 and 34 I lightly massaged myself, though that's nowhere in the same category as the work you've done.

The Glock: a design so simple that even I can do a trigger job on it without screwing it up. :roflol:

Yer welcome. :)

There has to be something pretty special about shooting a gun you built yourself, for yourself. Especially if it works! :lol: I even feel a bit of that for the Glock 17 and 34 I lightly massaged myself, though that's nowhere in the same category as the work you've done.

The Glock: a design so simple that even I can do a trigger job on it without screwing it up. :roflol:

I have a few other guns....which are arguably "fancier".....but nothing gives me the same pride in ownership....my grandfather, was a welder and OSS demolition expert...he taught me from an early age to do a lot of metal working the old fashioned way....with hand files and dial calipers and basic layout tools....measure, layout, cut....remeasure and keep the cycle going until you are happy....so I tried to build this gun that way....not one machine was used on this gun (except a Dremel to polish some surfaces)....I even built it using some of his old bench tools....the amount of hours spent hand fitting this gun is beyond countable....I wish my grandfather was still around to shoot it with me....he would have been proud...one of the last things he and I did (before he was unable to work anymore) was restore an old model T....so that is where the flat black paint comes into play...I think the saying goes "you can have a model T in any color you like, just as long as it's black"....anyhow I am rambling....

the gun is 100% reliable in it's current state....only things left to do are fine tune it, and maybe a new slide....I was considering putting a .40 s&w top end on it...but my grandfather carried a 1911 in .45 in ww2 and Korea...so that's how this one is gonna stay...I think I am just going to man up and shoot .45 in competition...win or lose doesn't matter much to me....for me it's more about the journey and the feeling I get when I shoot this thing....

the glock design is just something I can't manage to shoot...I know they are great guns, but I just can't seem to handle one...something about the trigger and the way they sit in my hand....I hear generation 4 is going to have some interchangeable frame parts, so I will give them a try again when gen. 4 is out...nothing like variety to keep things interesting...

thanks again for all of your kind words....really makes me feel good to have some validation for all my work... :cheers:

I like the two-tone effect! Keeps everything from melding into one black blob...

If you're going to shoot competition some of the parts will determine which division you're in. Not that division really matters if you're just out to improve yourself. I also shoot the gun I built but mine doesn't look nearly as nice. ;)

Leam

I like the two-tone effect! Keeps everything from melding into one black blob...

If you're going to shoot competition some of the parts will determine which division you're in. Not that division really matters if you're just out to improve yourself. I also shoot the gun I built but mine doesn't look nearly as nice. ;)

Leam

oh man what a nice thing to say... :wub:

I am probably going to shoot limited 10...if I take a few parts off I can shoot single stack...but I think it would be really cool to go out and shoot limited 10 with GI style iron sights (in .45), and a "less racey looking" 1911...this one doesn't have any fancy slide lightening or such....I really wanted to try and keep some ww2 GI authenticity to it...

I am seriously just going to leave the old small iron sights on it...I seem to do just fine with them (I did paint the top of the front sight bright red)....I have had a few folks at the range comment on that....they are like "nice gun, but what's up with those sights....I can hardly see them"....maybe I am just used to them....I have bomar adjustable (low melt/mount) on my .22 conversion top end...with a fiber front....and it's nice, but I don't seem to do any better or worse with either style...worse is probably more appropriate than better :unsure:

I really like the 2 tone thing also...I am not sure if you can tell from this angle, but the grip safety and MSH are Black, so it is two tone, but with a black stripe running up the back and into the slide (and then a polished steel barrel hood and bushing and FLGR)....and on the other side of the gun the mag catch is black with a hard chrome plunger/pin/screw...so it has that alternating flat textured black and polished steel look all over it...I always swore I would never own a "pretty" gun, but I don't think it's too out there....hell you should see it now...I stripped the slide back down to bare metal (I am going to re-do it in the same textured flat black, but using ceramic and epoxy based paint) and have some holster wear going....been shooting about 500 rounds or so a week....

it's really weird....I have/had a 14 year career in multimedia production and music, but am totally neglecting my job and just obsessing over shooting and building guns/ammo....I actually sold my studio, so I can try to move to a more gun friendly state (yeah I have it bad)....probably gonna sell some of my production gear and invest into a commercial casting and shop setup....my uncle is a master machinist (aerospace tooling) and said he would help me setup a mill and a set of tooling/jigs....I have a bit of experience in 3d design/CAD and he knows the ins and outs of the actual equipment....and both he and I are both pretty decent at freehand metalworking (he is amazing actually)....I'm building him an identical gun next month...just in a lefty model (he's a southpaw)....

wish me luck!!! :surprise:

Welcome ARI, there are a lot of us with that addiction/affliction. I've only had the fever for 2 years don't know when its going to break.

Hey the blaster is very nice. The impulse of the 45 is unique and I like it. Why not get it together and take your blaster to the Single Stack Nationals. I'm going to try to go, they need tapers and steels setters, I can do that and every once in a while I even manage to hit a target. A few C class shooters will help making the big Dawgs look faster.

Throw 4.3gr of Clays behind a 200gr RN 1.20 or SWC 1.260 Precision Bullet you will have a soft shooting major load with an accurate bullet. Its cheap and clean. I run a 12# recoil with this load, the gun shoots like a 9 mm. Best mag I found is the Wilson Combat 47DE it has a little extra room in it for the reload and with SS you do a lot of reloads.

Good Luck see you on the Range!

Welcome ARI, there are a lot of us with that addiction/affliction. I've only had the fever for 2 years don't know when its going to break.

Hey the blaster is very nice. The impulse of the 45 is unique and I like it. Why not get it together and take your blaster to the Single Stack Nationals. I'm going to try to go, they need tapers and steels setters, I can do that and every once in a while I even manage to hit a target. A few C class shooters will help making the big Dawgs look faster.

Throw 4.3gr of Clays behind a 200gr RN 1.20 or SWC 1.260 Precision Bullet you will have a soft shooting major load with an accurate bullet. Its cheap and clean. I run a 12# recoil with this load, the gun shoots like a 9 mm. Best mag I found is the Wilson Combat 47DE it has a little extra room in it for the reload and with SS you do a lot of reloads.

Good Luck see you on the Range!

Man I really have it bad, I kind of feel like someone needs to step in and talk some sense into me...I know there is no money in this as business and it costs a fortune as a hobby... :unsure:

I love .45 also man...I have shot/owned most cals. and NOTHING feels like a 1911 in .45 to me....something about it just feels right...I have never shot organized competition...I am trying to get my gear/gun together (almost there)....oh and that small thing about not being able to shoot... :roflol: I'll get there sooner or later....hopefully sooner

I am shooting 5.7gn. (5gn. for practice/minor) of American Select and a Precision L/SWC (it's more like a c/t though, I dunno why he calls it a SWC) 1.260 seems to be the number in my gun also (but I set-up the barrel for that)....that combo makes Major, with just a bit over for temp. variations...I am really loving American Select...it's got a "roll" to it and more a boom than a crack....very unique feeling load...shooting factory is no longer an option for me...starting to cast my own though, and it's even better than the pre-cast stuff...I can size and lube to my EXACT day to day needs....only way to go for me...

I am also on the #12 Variable spring now....also went to an #18 mainspring today, but am going to go back to the #17....my trigger got a bit stiff (but oddly a bit cleaner break)....I also run the 47DE's....great mags...the followers don't last long though, maybe you know of aftermarket followers?? I am having really good luck with the McCormick 10 round power mags....no feeding issues at all....I am going to try to set-up for limited 10 using those (dunno if they fit in the box though)....also the follower likes to pop out of those when they hit concrete (ask me how I know this)....so again I need to find some aftermarket followers...seems to be the weak link in most mags...followers and base-pads....never had any issues with springs though....my gun seems to digest everything....and is happy with the current line-up of mags......since I finished the gun (well it's never really finished) it's seen a case full of Bear Creek and half a case of Precision....it did have a few FTF's after I refinished the slide (but that's my fault for not re-polishing the breech face), but I haven't had a single hic-up for 500 rounds + now.....

It's going to see another 300 tomorrow, so wish me luck.....

Picture10.jpg

Nice Work!

Thank You Greg.....man everyone here is so cool, seriously....I haven't run into any real "sonbbery" yet....everyone here is so supportive (I have been some places on the internet where people aren't).....hey Greg....I am coming to your neck of the woods soon....Nashville is my favorite city....can't wait to move there....!!!

I also run the 47DE's....great mags...the followers don't last long though, maybe you know of aftermarket followers??

In the FYI category, according to Bill Wilson one of the only parts that ever breaks on a properly set up 1911 is the slide stop - the portion that sticks through into the mag well and hits the follower to lock open when empty can snap off after being beaten on enough by a metal follower. That's why the followers in the 47Ds are polymer and not metal; if anything is going to break over time, he'd rather it be a cheap and easily replaceable plastic follower than you needing to fit a new slide stop to your gun.

I also run the 47DE's....great mags...the followers don't last long though, maybe you know of aftermarket followers??

In the FYI category, according to Bill Wilson one of the only parts that ever breaks on a properly set up 1911 is the slide stop - the portion that sticks through into the mag well and hits the follower to lock open when empty can snap off after being beaten on enough by a metal follower. That's why the followers in the 47Ds are polymer and not metal; if anything is going to break over time, he'd rather it be a cheap and easily replaceable plastic follower than you needing to fit a new slide stop to your gun.

I wonder if he also realizes that after a few hundred rounds, his mags fail to consistently lock open the slide....someone needs to design a better follower.....not questioning Bill Wilson (his guns are stunning works of art)....but can't there be a best of both worlds approach? like a delrin follower, with some kind of bearing race and a lock at the top of it's travel (small set screw) and then a harder plastic or brass insert where the slide stop engages the follower? maybe I should just make what I think I need.....seems like that's all that ever works for me anyhow....

Nothing more rewarding than competing with something you crafted yourself. Keep up the good work

I agree, win or lose...I feel good about my efforts....thank you for the inspiration and kind words...!!!! :cheers:

I wonder if he also realizes that after a few hundred rounds, his mags fail to consistently lock open the slide

That hasn't been my experience. Let me hasten to add, I don't say that do discount your experiences, just that my experiences have been different. I have 47Ds I've been using for the past 10 years. I've replaced the springs once, the followers are all original, and they still lock open just fine. Actually, the only thing I've ever had break on a 47D is the plastic baseplate when hitting an indoor range's concrete floor.

I will say that 1911s in general seem to be much more picky about which magazines they will and and won't lock back on - and which magazines they will and won't feed out of, for that matter - than other gun designs. Part of prep for my first range session with a new 1911 is to sit down and check every one of my magazines to find out which ones will lock open the slide when empty, fall free when I punch the mag button, and feed smoothly. If I start with 40 mags of various configuration and brands, I'll tend to find 6-10 that will do all those things. Then I keep those mags with that gun. I really do feel that is a necessary part of ensuring 1911 reliability that a lot of people skip. If we think we're just going to stick any ol' magazine into our 1911 and it's going to work flawlessly - we are extremely mistaken.

Yes, this is more work than for something like, say, a Glock. Is it worth it to have a 1911 that works? Yes, it is. Those who think that's unreasonable, that it's too much work, just aren't 1911 guys. :D