Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Are the Latest and Greatest Saiga Mods?

usp45ss

Installed the Firebird magwell on my new Saiga yesterday. I still need to weld an optic rail on and some other minor things before I start using this one and retire the old Saiga. Thus far it seems promising.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/guns/firebird1.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/guns/firebird2.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/guns/firebird3.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/guns/firebird4.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/guns/firebird5.jpg

It came with a slot machined for the mag catch on the left side so I switched it over because I am left handed. I can now use my trigger finger to release the mag, knock the old one out with the fresh mag and then rock and lock it in. Previously I was unable to knock the empty mag out with the fresh one because there isn't enough space between the trigger guard and mag catch on a converted saiga to get in and hit it with the fresh mag like you can with an AK.

Great looking gun.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a couple of photos of one of the Saigas that R&R will be showing at the Shot in Las Vegas. All the aluminum parts that Robert builds are anodized red so they are easier to see. I don't think he is planning on offering that as an option, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Lots of different options now for Saiga shooters!

Doug

post-8887-1261938550_thumb.jpg

post-8887-1261938600_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of one of the Saigas that R&R will be showing at the Shot in Las Vegas. All the aluminum parts that Robert builds are anodized red so they are easier to see. I don't think he is planning on offering that as an option, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Lots of different options now for Saiga shooters!

Doug

wow!

how's that stock adaptor in?

I don't see 2 screws on bottom looks clean,

Now if I could just forge a trigger straight like he does..

Doug

wow!

how's that stock adaptor in?

I don't see 2 screws on bottom looks clean,

Now if I could just forge a trigger straight like he does..

The stock adaptor takes one screw on top and 2 on the bottom, I have one in my hand that I'm going to try installing on my Saiga this week. The straight trigger would be nice, the curved one is not my favorite but that's what I have on mine.

We shot a bunch of video in Oregon yesterday and hope to have some up soon. Got some sub 1.5 sec shot to shot reloads on tape. Best I could do was around 2 sec. I guess I have to practice more!

Doug

Bladewurk,

If you want a straighter trigger (mine is a Tromix) just take the trigger out, heat it up till red hot and put it in a vice and there you go...a straighter trigger. Make sure you don't go over board:-)

Tell me how it comes out...

Sincerely,

RLTW,

Scott

Here is one of my reloads using the new R&R magwell. This is only the second time I have shot the gun since the new magwell was installed. Looks like I still need some practice hitting it smoothly. With some practice I should be able to get consistantly under 2 seconds.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

That's fast. I need to practice more.

Awesome..

looks like Midway carries R& R parts now?

I really like how my saiga handles now with the R&R stock adaptor and grip conversion,

next thing will be the safety and magwell..

I am using bladetech mag kydex mag pouches but I think bonding a metal clip onto the mag might be a better way to go. Are the clips something ready avaiable or do I need to make them?

Greg a fe w questions

Is the JT a true straigt in or do you still rock and lock the mag?

Do the mags take any modification to work with the new magwell?

Can you put weight on them (ie monopod or hold the mag like a grip) and still have it function reliably?

Thanks Cody

I am using bladetech mag kydex mag pouches but I think bonding a metal clip onto the mag might be a better way to go. Are the clips something ready avaiable or do I need to make them?

There are Kydex clips on the R&R website. They're only $7 each and you can attach them with a strong double face tape. I use some fiberglass double face tape that I got at the hardware store and then put on some colored duct tape for extra security. It also helps me identify my mags if there are several Saiga shooters on the squad.

Doug

Greg a fe w questions

Can you put weight on them (ie monopod or hold the mag like a grip) and still have it function reliably?

Thanks Cody

Yes it is a true straight in magwell. No rock and lock. You must remoce the front lip and 2 side ribs so it will insert straight in. It takes me about 30seconds with a belt sander. Dremel tool will take a few minutes.

There is no movement with the mag in place and you will not be able move it. Jack holds the mag like a grip to prove that in his video on the last reload.

Bladewurk,

If you want a straighter trigger (mine is a Tromix) just take the trigger out, heat it up till red hot and put it in a vice and there you go...a straighter trigger. Make sure you don't go over board:-)

Tell me how it comes out...

Sincerely,

RLTW,

Scott

Came out great Thanks Busyhawk!

here's a pic...IMG_0396.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Bladewurk,

Nice job on the trigger...now I just afterwards used my favorite tool and rounded the edges of the trigger and smoothed out the whole thing. Looks good.

When are you going to put the AR style safety on? Love my change but it is more involved than just a torch and vice! The stock safety sucks as everyone knows.

I just Sunday got back from the Shot Show and there was too much to look at. Oh, and the rain...I must have brought it from Washington with me for sure. The 3 gun match after the Shot was good too!

RLTW,

Scott

I think the ARstyle safety is too much of a precision install for my skills??

next addition is the Krebs sights, guess I need to cut the rear sight blade in half to remove it ..so dang tight!

I need to figure out how to stop rotation of the front sight, torque it tighter or maybe epoxy ?

I also want less takeup in the trigger gotta work on that.

Anybody fit a Red Star trigger ?

I was at SHOT for 4 days and still missed R&R's booth, the layout sucked I must say, but there was so much to see!

Edited by bladewurk

Bladewurk,

I have the Krebs front sight mounted just behind the choke (I had a Rem Choke installed) and used red Loctite and have yet to have any problems.

I don't know of your real skills so I don't know if you can install the safety or not...OK, my skills tell me not to attempt it myself. If you have any questions call Robert Wright (RandRTargets.com or 503-551-7283).

I understand the Shot was huge...I missed so much. Maybe we need a Web based vertual reality site to go to:-) I did see the new Remington 308 semi-auto rifle...must be a co-build with JP rifles for sure, spitting image. And I thought the Remington was going to be like a DPMS since the parent company owns both.

RLTW,

Scott

Greg a fe w questions

Thanks Cody

Yes it is a true straight in magwell. No rock and lock. You must remoce the front lip and 2 side ribs so it will insert straight in. It takes me about 30seconds with a belt sander. Dremel tool will take a few minutes.

There is no movement with the mag in place and you will not be able move it. Jack holds the mag like a grip to prove that in his video on the last reload.

Nice video. How is the magazine released, it looks like he is using his trigger finger. Is the release activate by a motion perendicular to the receiver (like and AR) or parallel (pushing forward)? Does the release cost extra or is it part of the magwell?