Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Dies in a LNL

Has anyone used Lee dies, 9mm in particular, in a Hornady LNL AP? I've read a few posts that say they may not be long enough. I want to be reasonably sure I can use my Lee Dies in a LNL before I take the plunge.

I'm still a bit confused on the Hornady powder drop die. Does it come with the press? Is it only for a powder drop and does not bell the case? I'm sure I can use my lee die to bell the case before the powder drop.

Thanks,

huey

I use a Lee resizing die (EGW's U version) and a FCD in my LNL without any problems - 9mm and several other calibers.

The powder drop does come with the press and powder measure, and you are correct it does not bell the case. You will need either a Hornady powder through expander - not worthwhile IMO - or another expander die. I use the Lyman M expander die personally.

There have been some recent threads about the ineffectiveness of the Hornady powder through expanders. You can poke around for that information in this section.

Lee dies, powder measure, and thru-expander work in Hornady.

I use Hornady dies and powder measure for my primary pistol ammo, but when I need some 9mm, I pop in some Lee dies and Lee powder measure.

Since Hornady uses the LNL bushing, changing caliber is quick and easy. It is really nice having multiple powder measures, and not having to change the powder charge settings.

Oh, and I built a slider with an adjustment for the Hornady powder through expander that makes it work great! Setting the expander depth is easy and there is no messing around with screwing the dies in and out, no frustration.

Edited by Jeff686

Looks like I can set up a LNL like this:

Lee Decap and Size Die.

Lee case flare/powder through die (without powder measure) to flare case

Hornady powder drop die with case activated measure - (is there some sort of funnel in the Hornady powder drop die?)

Lee Seating Die

Lee Factory Crimp Die

or just like my classic turret press

Lee Decap and Size Die.

Lee case flare/powder through die with Lee case activated Auto Disk measure.

Lee Seating Die.

Lee Factory Crimp Die.

One open station

Does the Hornady Powder Drop Die have a funnel of some sort inside to fill the case?

After I get 9mm running I'll setup for 40sw too. Maybe 45ACP but I don't shoot that caliber as much anymore.

Thanks for the replies!

Edited by hueycrew

Both are equally good. I'd save the Hornady powder measure for your most popular caliber. It IS more consistent than the Lee. I ran a comparison with a very good scale...

Yes, there is a 'funnel' for the Hornady measure. It is flat on the bottom, and acts to activate the powder drop when the case pushes it upward.

Good luck!

Lee Decap and Size Die.

Hornady powder drop die with case activated measure - (is there some sort of funnel in the Hornady powder drop die?)

Lee Seating Die

Lee Factory Crimp Die

This is exactly what I use...works great!

I have the LNL with the EZ-ject I use the lee 4 die sets for all pistol cals without any modifications of any kind. Just plug n play.

Just to be real clear I use the lee 4 die sets in 9,38,40, and 45.

Has anyone used Lee dies, 9mm in particular, in a Hornady LNL AP?

If its the newer EZject run whatever dies you like. If it is the older wire ejector you should run a Hornady crimp die then whatever dies you want for the rest. The powder cop does not come with the press. It is an add on.

With the sizing die you will need to take the lock nut off turn it up side down to get the die to go far enough in to size correctly.

If you are loading lead or moly bullets you will want to get another belling die as the lee will bell it but on the up stroke the outer ring of the die closes it back up. I don't like the powder thru expander from Hornady at least not for 38 Super it ruined a lot of brass. Lee makes a cowboy action expander it will work on all calibers and it works smooth and well for lead or moly.

The FCD will under size lead bullets and cause a lot of lead build up in your barrel best to go with a taper crimp.

The lee dies work ok for Jacketed bullets, and I have to say it is almost impossible to break the dcapping pin. I order hornady and dillion decapping pins by the dozen.

The hornady powder measure is one of the best around and get extra plungers and keep them set for your favorite loads.

I have a Dillion 650 as well as LNL both are very good, I picked up a second 650 in a deal on a gun, sold it kept the LNL. I use the Hornady Powder measure on some powder on the Dillon so you made a good choice.

Always be sure to secure the powder measure as if not the bushing will pop out and it will stop sending powder into the case.

Do not lube the powder measure clean it when you change powders, I use a bore brush on the feed tubes. If the plastic tube starts coming off turn it upside down it stays put then.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I can set up a LNL like this:

Lee Decap and Size Die.

Lee Seating Die

Lee Factory Crimp Die

I set mine up slightly different with Lee dies.

Lee Decap and Size

Hornady powder drop

Lee case flare/powder through

Lee Seating Die

Lee Factory Crimp Die

I can then use the Lee case flare die, which is open at the top as a powder cop die as well. I shaved and inserted a wood dowel and placed a rubber o ring on it. I set the o ring so that it just comes to the top of the die when appropriate charge exists. Anything short or long is readily noticed if you watch it during the cycle. B)

There is near universal disdain for the Hornady PTXs here (and in several other posts). Elsewhere in the forum i stumbled across a post for this thing as an alternative. I got my press set up with it this weekend and loaded a few hundred rounds. IMO the surface finish needed some polishing, but aside from that, I am quite happy with it, and would recommend it.

If you're a fan of the Hornady PTXs, let me know, I have several I'll sell you cheap. I also now have several Lyman expanders I no longer need.

• 1 month later...

I have 10+ year old lee dies and they are too short. I asked Lee about this and EGW the same question about their custom dies made by lee and both told me the newer die bodies are longer to make them compatible with more progressive presses.

There is near universal disdain for the Hornady PTXs here (and in several other posts). Elsewhere in the forum i stumbled across a post for this thing as an alternative. I got my press set up with it this weekend and loaded a few hundred rounds. IMO the surface finish needed some polishing, but aside from that, I am quite happy with it, and would recommend it.

If you're a fan of the Hornady PTXs, let me know, I have several I'll sell you cheap. I also now have several Lyman expanders I no longer need.

My PTX work great. See here: PTX Slider

• 1 month later...

I finally got off my behind and bought the LNL AP EZject. $400 at Cabelas on sale. With two shell plates and a new brass tumbler put my total over $500. Nice of them to have a $75 coupon and free shipping to my local store.

Sorry to see my Pro1000 leave the bench. :lol:

I'll keep the Lee Turret Classic Turret press though. I really like it.

I use the Hornady "Frank-n-Load" :)

Station 1...Dillon sizer/decapper

Station 2...Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure*** (with expander)

Station 3...empty. Maybe a RCBS Lock Out Die someday? Doubt it.

Station 4...Lee bullet seating die

Station 5...Dillon taper Crimp die.

*** Very convenient and I trust it.

• 2 weeks later...