Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

x5 L1 - what say yea all

Particulars

1. Buds seems to have the lowest price for new out of box - yes or no

2. Has anybody shot both the 9mm and 40 and noticed any great difference in shot accuracy - recoil

3. Does the weight become an issue ( I have CZ TS and it seems heavy after awhile) I have big arms but little hands.

4. Should I just be happy with p226 blackwater 9mm - p226 platinum 9mm and p226 357sig/40 or is it like someone

else said in another post - everyone who owns sig should own at least one german made gun

5. Issues with repair and parts - and is extractor problems I read about in all around also a problem in L1

6. Has anyone compared shooting x5 L1 to sti edge - I have never held an x5 - there are none local in any store or pawn

7. Thank you for any thoughts and loose associations.

2. Has anybody shot both the 9mm and 40 and noticed any great difference in shot accuracy - recoil

3. Does the weight become an issue ( I have CZ TS and it seems heavy after awhile) I have big arms but little hands.

4. Should I just be happy with p226 blackwater 9mm - p226 platinum 9mm and p226 357sig/40 or is it like someone

else said in another post - everyone who owns sig should own at least one german made gun

5. Issues with repair and parts - and is extractor problems I read about in all around also a problem in L1

6. Has anyone compared shooting x5 L1 to sti edge - I have never held an x5 - there are none local in any store or pawn

Good questions :cheers:

The only answer I have is that when I was looking around, I did find a few that were cheaper than Buds, but, there sure aren't many around.

Good questions :cheers:

The only answer I have is that when I was looking around, I did find a few that were cheaper than Buds, but, there sure aren't many around.

#3 I have not found weight to be a negative

#4 Yes to German made Sigs

#5 The X5 L1 uses the same extractor as the AA and the Competition. GGI is wworking on the extractor problem. I would not waste time and money sending to Sig. I have found in a limited amount of rounds down range that factory ammo is fine so far. Stay away from low PF handloads, that seems to be where most of the extraction problems happen.( I had one failure to extract so far in 600 rounds.

#6 The X5 is heavier than the Edge.

The 9mm is easier to shoot... and extremely accurate! Also, I have had zero problems with extraction with mine.

Oh, and mine is for sale, by the way... <link>

Very nice guns but suggest the Comp over the L1...and then after a few hundred rounds send it to GGI. Only suggest few hundred rounds as a means to have fun with the new rig...then when it comes back you will really see the difference too.

Nills makes the wood grips so buy a set from them...

They are all great shooting guns but they don't fit into the USPSA or IDPA too well. They can be used esp. for L10.

Heavy yes. Smooth yes. Recoil no. Enjoyment shooting YES!

I just peeked at xfactor's X5...there you go. One sweet machine. In 9mm they are almost funny how smooth and flat they shoot.

Good luck!

Not sure about Buds but I have seen them on GB here and there for good prices.

I have shot them and the 9mm is amazingly accurate and easy to shoot.

Weight is not an issue, they are comparable to a good bar stock 1911.

We have a blackwater and a 226ST, they are not the same guns. All great, but the X series are designed for comp in mind. The advice of saving a bit of money and geting a comp model is a good one, the triggers are great out of the box.

Have not required repairs and parts, from experience sig has been great. No extractor problems with the comp or the x5 tactical we have.

Great guns out of the box, well built on proven chassis, alot of gun for the money comparatively.

Intended purposes? Well you know some rich people will buy a harley then drain it of oil and wheel it into their house and park it and just enjoy the fact that it is a harley and is like art to them -

I am not a rich person but you can shoot your art if you like - and you can just keep your shooting to a couple of your guns that you like

and then have others that some refer to as safe queens - you can just own them and be happy knowing what they can do and the mechanical wonder of them - in these uncertain times they also seem to be a good investment and perhaps will retain their value even

better than gold. I don't know about the rest of you but I really enjoy a well made pistol - and while I can't afford 5000 guns I can afford

2500 and below if I spread it out - I currently am waiting to get my tanfoglio gold custom back - modified from 9mm to 38 super - and I do not plan on doing any race gun competition shooting but I will take joy in knowing I have a really nice gun - like with all my others I try to research and learn all the time - I respect those that shoot in competition - I am not knowledgable about the dynamics of a lot of things talked about here on the forums but I learn more all the time - I am not a wannabe since I wore a uniform many years ago in service to this country and shot well and that training and experience does not go away - so to honestly answer your question joe4d - its a hobby to just enjoy because it is so vast in what is available - and a way to narrow it down is to ask others who might know - the pistol grip shotgun was not such a good idea - looks cool but got traded towards shotgun with stock much easier = and the xdm got traded even though it shot nice - it just didn't float my boat - I got ripped off on the trade for the used sig 226 with 357/40 barrels - but this is how you learn - by making mistakes not researching and asking questions and looking around for good deals - so I do appreciate all the comments there are to read in the brian enos forums - and those that have replied to this post - thank you.

2.I have the 9 and 40 both are more accurate than me. The recoil on the 40 is snapper but is low when compared to my H&K USP

3. No issue with weight, but you might have an issue with the grip, it is rather fat, so I would advise you to handle one before you purchase one.

4. I only had an issue with the 9mm if shooting with a low pf. I have gone with lower recoil springs and have not had problems with extractor unless it gets very dirty.

I can't answer all of your questions, but have a few thoughts that might help.

I think the X-Five Competition is a better buy than the L1. If you already own several Sig P226s, then the adjustable trigger isn't going to matter. The Nil grips can be purchased later if you really want them. The difference in price between the L1 and Competition is a couple cases of ammo.

If you plan to shoot USPSA, get your X-Five chambered in .40S&W so you can score Major points. I've never shot a .40S&W X-Five, but I have to believe the recoil is tame just due to the sheer weight of the gun.

Every Sig enthusiast should own one German made Sig.

Getting spare parts from Sig is a pain Fortunately, a large number of the parts in the X-Five are identical to the parts in regular P226s.

I own an X-Five Allround. The internal extractor has been horrible. It works great when I shoot factory ammo (Blazer Aluminum, Federal American Eagle), but fails to extract my personal hand loads. I'm not shooting bunny fart loads either, 147gr ammo that is 137-138PF. I am patiently waiting for Bruce Gray's new internal extractor.

The all steel X-Five pistols are heavy. With practice I've become unaware of the weight. As for the grip size, it's actually slightly smaller than the standard P226 grip. If you look at a picture of an X-Five, you'll notice that the area directly under the trigger guard has been radiused. To me, this allows me to get my strong hand middle finger further around the grip than on a standard P226.

• 2 weeks later...

after much pondering and comparison and shopping around - it was the used x5 l1 40 cal that I decided on - the money orders are in the mail - the used l1 was only two hundred more than the new competition - gurney says as far as he knows it only has around two hundred rounds through it - since I am not a real shooter like the rest of you seem to be - the joy is in the ownership of something well made - I do not blow teens off the line when I am in my cadillac truck - even though I could - its just the joy of knowing I could - funny thing I just looked at buds and thought - hey they didn't take mine off yet -- then I noticed its a 9mm l1 ten dollars more than the 40 was -- how weird is that -- I had decided on the 40 over the 9 already to avoid any problems what so ever with extractor even though I will only shoot factory ammo - new l1s from bud are 2228 so getting the used is saving some extra mag money - those honeys don't come cheap do they -- 92 bucks from sig -- the used comes with two mags the new comes with one - however sig just reversed their policy and new guns will again ship with two mags - however the ones with one mag have to work their way through the system - I was side tracked for awhile on the chrome nighthawk they had on there but I see someone else has given themselves a nice christmas also because it was gone sometime today - and I spent a lot of time looking at the custom edge brazo's sells all chromed out at 2100 something - however since I am not really familar with sti and mostly own sigs and know what they feel like I kept it in the family. GB had many but all at a price greater than buds - ya its human nature we want good things but we still want a deal - I see ingus on GB is selling mags - ingus is gerbig - right here locally - will have to call and see what the going price is with tax - I have not seen any great savings from the regular super stores for the x 5 mags - if someone knows something please speak up lol -- well thank you to those who gave opinions it helped shape my thinking - and merry christmas to all of you. The fellow with the comp for sale - its a small world I have done business with walt there at hacksgun - nice guy.

Congrats! You'll really like the X5...

I'm not sure if any of our vendors have them but you should try top gun supply if not... http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-x-five-magazines/ $72.95 each. Also regular 226 mags will work fine for plinking, too. They just don't have the basepad and for <$30 that isn't a big deal.

Good move on getting the 40 - barsto makes 9mm conversion barrels - some of which are "drop in" ready. I had my comp fitted with a 9mm barrel by GGI but they claim to be "drop in". You don't even have to change the extractor, etc. to go 9mm...swap barrels go shooting on the "cheap."

hk - thanks for the reminder - funny thing is I just got some new (15 rd 9mm) sig mags from top gun last week - I don't know how I over looked the link you posted -- but right after christmas another three seems to be in order -

DW - thanks for the heads up - as it happens I have four of those mags because I have the p226 with both drop in barrels for 40/357 conversion - the older version without the rail - of course I will check to see if they work without too much tweaking -

I guess the x5 l1 9mm lasted one day on buds list - its gone - which is interesting to me because its like the 40 waited for me for two weeks to research and think about things -- either that or someone else was thinking about it and then it was gone and the nine came so they jumped on it while it was there -- three used nighthawks gone in three days too - I guess the rule of thumb is if you want it get it when it shows up because theres a whole lot of people waiting to jump -

rex said that yesterday buds set a new one day record for packaging and sending out 400 pieces in a day - that crew is earning their holiday time off --- and either theres some pretty nice wives out there giving their husbands a nice gift - or 400 guys who bought themselves a great gift - "wife what wife? you mean I am married?" -- ya theres the jockey shorts and shave cream she gave you over there.. act happy.

I suppose most of you have already seen that youtube video called "the fastest clip you'll probably ever see" - travis tomasic - with race gun I don't know what it is but it never gets old -- from young days and nunchucks I remember the hours and hours it took to develop form - looking at this you realize that this guy travis had to stand in place and do this over and over and over and of course he had to have the skill set to begin with - I guess thats a good debate - if practice practice practice can over come certain lack of motor skills -

I guess since we all know your suppose to exercise - and you did this for half an hour each day you would get a good work out - you don't need an exercise bike or treadmill just a nice rubber mat so your mags could drop tenderly -- there would be a lot of bending over to pick them back up too - would this lead to six pack abs? Peyton Manning said if your not in professional sports and your over 30 forget about it so I did... lol thanks for taking the time to offer help - its appreciated --

Sig P226X5 (226X5-40-COMP) .40cal Stainless Steel w/2 mags & case ***LIKE NEW*** 1,399.00

Sig P226X5 (226X5-9-AR) 9mm Stainless Steel w/3 mags & case ***LIKE NEW*** 1,099.00

These are both listed at my local gun store. I hate to let the cat out of the bag about where I shop, but I don't buy Sigs anyway.

www.whittakerguns.com