Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hair dresser not afraid of my firearm

A62335

So, I recently moved, and I went to the closed Supercuts to get a hair cut the other day. It was the first time I had been in this particular store. At the old Supercuts, the ladies who worked there were comfortable with me carrying my firearm OWB while I was in the store. It didn't dawn on me that the employees at the new store might not be as comfortable as the old employees were when I went into the new store. But, to my surprise, when I took my jacket off, the hair dresser said "nice 1911!" I was shocked. Turns out she owns several Sig's, and we talked about shooting the whole time I was there. I'll be asking for that lady by name next time I go in.

I went to see my chiroprator (Antonina) last week for the first time in a couple of months. As I entered the lobby she gave me a big smile and a hug and said, "We were JUST talking about you today!" She the introduced me to the cute young lady standing nearby; an intern due to graduate in a couple of months who was working there for some school credits. She next told her to take me back and get me ready for my adjustment (while winking at me). I knew what was up.

I walked in the room and the nice young lady said to empty my pockets and remove anything like a cellphone that I might be carrying. So I laid my wallet on the little table, and my keys, and my flashlight, and my knife, and the two spare mags I was carrying. I then unsnapped the Milt Sparks Executive's Companion and laid it (with my 1911 still in it) alongside my other stuff. While my hand was still on it I looked her in the eye and told her it was loaded, and dangerous if abused, so please don't touch it. All the while, Tina had been looking through the door with a big grin.

The nice young lady nodded and smile enthusiastically, promised to leave it alone, and didn't act all wierd about the event. When we were finished and I was repositioning all my gear, Tina turned to her and announced she had passed 'the test'.

:D

Several years ago I decided to order up a pair of shooting glasses with my right eye focal length set for the front sight of my Limited gun and the left eye at infinity. I called and explained my plan to bring in the gun at my next eye exam and was told "not only NO but HELL NO!" :angry2: I explained that my new optometrist would be calling for my records and my money would go elsewhere. Looking through the phone book I noticed a familiar name, Thomas Arvas, who just happened to be on the BoD of the NRA. I called Dr. Arvas and explained what I needed and was told that there would be no problem whatsoever. Arriving for my appointment I showed him that the gun was empty and clear. Being a shotgunner Dr. Arvas quizzed me about my Bedell Spitfire and the courses we shot at our local club. As I put the gun up into the shooting position so he could try various corrective lenses his intern walked in the room and was about to let out an earsplitting shreik when Dr. Arvas took her aside and explained what was going on. She immediatly calmed down and we finished the exam. A year later I went back for my yearly exam and this time he asked me to step into the hallway and sight in on the top of a coatrack about 25 feet away in the reception room. As luck would have it a little old lady walked into the hallway to step into another exam room. :surprise: Immediately the gun went up as the lady looked as if her life was flashing before her eyes. Again Dr. Arvas to the rescue as he hustled down the hall to explain things to the lady. My next exam is in a few months and I'll probably ask to be the very last patient of the day for obvious reasons.

CYa,

Pat

A side note:

I have my CCW and carry all the time. On a few occasions I have received hugs from friends girlfriends or bumped into other folks who feel the lump under my coat or shirt and give me a questioning look. When this happens I calmly explain that the lump is my colostomy bag. Then I ask if they would like to see it. The answer has been NO(!) every time. :roflol:

Our club has an eye surgeon that is a member and I can not tell you the times that I have gone into his office and seen people in his waiting room with gun cases and in his exam room

with rifles and pistols up taking sight pitchers. Alsways makes me feel warm inside. I'm almost to the point where I will be doing the same.

My eye Doc. used to be on the Washington Air National Guard pistol team that I coached. I've taken my AR and Match pistol in several times during eye exams. We once spent several hours getting a pair of glasses fit the way that I wanted for High Power Rifle shooting.

A side note:

I have my CCW and carry all the time. On a few occasions I have received hugs from friends girlfriends or bumped into other folks who feel the lump under my coat or shirt and give me a questioning look. When this happens I calmly explain that the lump is my colostomy bag. Then I ask if they would like to see it. The answer has been NO(!) every time. :roflol:

Colostomy Bag!! YaaaaHa ha ha ha! I love it. :roflol: Never thought of that one! Were you ever in military medicine?!! My O.D. is the pres of the local archery club as well as a shooter. Same potential comedy but with a much greater assortment of hardware. Colostomy Bag....Oh Man!

Edited by redmanfixit

A side note:

Colostomy Bag!! YaaaaHa ha ha ha! I love it. :roflol: Never thought of that one! Were you ever in military medicine?!! My O.D. is the pres of the local archery club as well as a shooter. Same potential comedy but with a much greater assortment of hardware. Colostomy Bag....Oh Man!

Never been in the military although I have the utmost respect and admiration for them. The idea of the colostomy bag came after some thought on how to immediately stop any additional questions regarding what somebody might have felt if they bumped into me. If I am among friends and I explain to a stranger a laughing fit usually erupts. If I am alone I usually launch into a sob story about my health and why I am wearing the "bag". I really do use the bag story as it has always stopped any inquiries as to what a person felt or thinks they saw. Needless to say I also have a HUGE sense of humor.

CYa,

Pat

Several years ago I decided to order up a pair of shooting glasses with my right eye focal length set for the front sight of my Limited gun and the left eye at infinity. I called and explained my plan to bring in the gun at my next eye exam and was told "not only NO but HELL NO!" :angry2: I explained that my new optometrist would be calling for my records and my money would go elsewhere. Looking through the phone book I noticed a familiar name, Thomas Arvas, who just happened to be on the BoD of the NRA. I called Dr. Arvas and explained what I needed and was told that there would be no problem whatsoever. Arriving for my appointment I showed him that the gun was empty and clear. Being a shotgunner Dr. Arvas quizzed me about my Bedell Spitfire and the courses we shot at our local club. As I put the gun up into the shooting position so he could try various corrective lenses his intern walked in the room and was about to let out an earsplitting shreik when Dr. Arvas took her aside and explained what was going on. She immediatly calmed down and we finished the exam. A year later I went back for my yearly exam and this time he asked me to step into the hallway and sight in on the top of a coatrack about 25 feet away in the reception room. As luck would have it a little old lady walked into the hallway to step into another exam room. :surprise: Immediately the gun went up as the lady looked as if her life was flashing before her eyes. Again Dr. Arvas to the rescue as he hustled down the hall to explain things to the lady. My next exam is in a few months and I'll probably ask to be the very last patient of the day for obvious reasons.

CYa,

Pat

A side note:

I got hurt pretty bad back in the early 90's at work (long story, needless to say, i still have the scars) and had to have a colostomy bag for 3 months. Terrible experience. I was asked one time what it was like and I told them " It's not too bad, thinking of the alternatives...Besides, I'm saving a crap load on toilet paper!"

CYa,

Pat

A side note:

I got hurt pretty bad back in the early 90's at work (long story, needless to say, i still have the scars) and had to have a colostomy bag for 3 months. Terrible experience. I was asked one time what it was like and I told them " It's not too bad, thinking of the alternatives...Besides, I'm saving a crap load on toilet paper!"

Grumpy,

Glad to hear that you recovered and are well. When life gives you lemons...make lemonade!

CYa,

Pat