Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

speed loader holster

will227457

The short answer is, No. See quote from rulebook below.

Either be of open top configuration that holds the

speedloader in by tension and covers the full diameter and

body of the speedloader or retain the speedloader with a snap

or Velcro closure.

Some people have modified them by wrapping something around the holder.

Check out the Ready Tactical speedloader holders available for Chris Patty at CPWSA

They are legal and work great!

post-370-1259788857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

I use this one, the screws are tension devices, i grab it by sticking my middle finger in the center of the moonclip. IDPA doesnt really address a holder with the bullets pointing in, but it is prett secure and looks pretty good so so far hasnt raised any eyebrows

post-6917-1259789731_thumb.jpg

One post says the PVC loaders went through an IDPA match as legal.

I'm still not clear.

Is it an either/or rule:

top covered

or

body covered and retained by tension?

I've been told my Safariland speedloader holder isn't IDPA legal, but now I'm not sure why.

safariland_speedloader_333_.jpg

Edited by doc540

I'm still not clear.

Is it an either/or rule:

top covered

or

I've been told my Safariland speedloader holder isn't IDPA legal, but now I'm not sure why.

Using the comp 1 in your pic as an example, the body of the speed loader between the knob and the top of the holder has to be covered.

Hope this helps.

I'm still not clear.

Is it an either/or rule:

top covered

or

Using the comp 1 in your pic as an example, the body of the speed loader between the knob and the top of the holder has to be covered.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks. CompIII's aren't legal using that particular holster?

None of them are with that holster. All of them retain the cartridges, not the body of the speedloader, and have no retention strap.

I think I'm understanding "retention" better.

Even though with the holster above and its friction bar behind the body of the speedloader, the body of the speedloader itself must be inside the holder like in the PVC crafted holsters in the link.

I was misreading "retention" to mean any design that "restrained" the speedloader from falling out.

Am I on the right track thinking that way?

None of them are with that holster. All of them retain the cartridges, not the body of the speedloader, and have no retention strap.

I think I'm understanding "retention" better.

Even though with the holster above and its friction bar behind the body of the speedloader, the body of the speedloader itself must be inside the holder like in the PVC crafted holsters in the link.

I was misreading "retention" to mean any design that "restrained" the speedloader from falling out.

Am I on the right track thinking that way?

I believe that you have the right idea now. Use this knowledge only for good. ;)

• 3 years later...

Patrick, when I do shoot in the retro division I use the North Mountain design that holds six speedloaders. They're a good product. I do use a K frame size for my L frames becuase I cut down my speedloaders quite a bit. Hope this is helpful. Later rdd

this may belong in the IDPA section, but are these legal for IDPA?

333.jpg

I took a razor knife and cut one holder off, bent a piece of kydex around the other two and attached it so it covered the body of the speedloader. That makes it IDPA legal.