Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR-22

Rather-B-Huntin

So I want a .22 based on the AR platform for plinking and for my six year old son to be able to get started on (the collapsible stock will help him a bunch). I've considered the S&W and the Colt, but then I saw the new offering from Ruger and am quite impressed. I don't just want to buy and upper for use on one of my lowers, and I have several other 10/22's so mags are already readily available to me.

Has anyone tried one yet?

Its a 10/22 in a (Nordic Components) receiver adapter. I know it says Ruger on the side, I couldn't tell the difference, looks exactly like my Nordic kit except for the cosmetic machining. Very reliable, as you already know 10/22 to be, and feels just like your normal AR15.

IMO, a good investment.

My suggestion is to figure out your primary objective.

If the focus is your practice, build a dedicated 22 upper to put on your lower. Same trigger. Same feel. Cheaper ammo.

If he focus is your son, you can not go wrong with the Ruger. I would however note you can come out much cheaper with the junior 10/22 which is going to be less to hold and you could pop into a Nordic kit later on (birthday present?).

Finally, there are none of the Ruger dress ups available used yet and since they are the newest thing, no real deals on the new ones. Give it a year and you can save a bunch on a used one or get a new one for less than MSRP.

So I want a .22 based on the AR platform for plinking and for my six year old son to be able to get started on (the collapsible stock will help him a bunch). I've considered the S&W and the Colt, but then I saw the new offering from Ruger and am quite impressed. I don't just want to buy and upper for use on one of my lowers, and I have several other 10/22's so mags are already readily available to me.

If you already have a 10/22 just buy the nordic and use one of you rifles, that's what I did, I like mine very well. IAnd I believe nordic was contracted by Ruger to build the receiver for them ( I think )

If you already have a 10/22 just buy the nordic and use one of you rifles, that's what I did, I like mine very well. IAnd I believe nordic was contracted by Ruger to build the receiver for them ( I think )

I've considered just buying the Nordic chassis for one of my existing guns, but these things are listed on GB.com for an average of $450.00. By the time I'd by the receiver, buttstock, etc., I'm getting close to that price in just components. And I like the look of the Ruger in factory configuration.

This gun will just be for fun. No need to do any training as there are no 3-gun events in my area. Just something that the kid and I can both plink with, and will fit us both with the push of a button.

I've considered just buying the Nordic chassis for one of my existing guns, but these things are listed on GB.com for an average of $450.00. By the time I'd by the receiver, buttstock, etc., I'm getting close to that price in just components. And I like the look of the Ruger in factory configuration.

This gun will just be for fun. No need to do any training as there are no 3-gun events in my area. Just something that the kid and I can both plink with, and will fit us both with the push of a button.

You might want to relook at that......Our stock kit is going for $224.95 retail. I've seen complete SR22's offered for a starting price of $450 though

• 1 month later...

Pretty much as far as I can see on my Nordic. I don't have too many FFT to compare with but how many different threads are there.

I haven't tried one yet but my friend got one at a local gun show. It feels good but I don't think it comes with sights on it. You have to put on your own optic. But, the S&W also looks really nice.

If you have a 10/22 you want to convert, Cactus tactical in the vendors section

has the nordic kit for $159.99 best price I have found,

and then search the classified for deals on stocks, forends and grips.

I think the best part of using the 10/22 is the magazine loader made by Butler Creek

You will spend more time shooting and no more sore fingers from loading :D

you dont even have to touch the ammo!

The S&W .22 AR is very light weight and might be a better choice

but you will have to buy new mags for about $20 ea.

Craig