Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting a more consistent charge on a 650

I tried searching but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for and I was hoping for a few more ideas to be thrown around.

At the moment I am getting charges between 0.2 and 0.3 from what I am looking for. Out of 10 throws I might get about 4 or 5 heavy or light throws. Is there anyway to get a more consistent throw or am I being pedantic?

Edited by Mo Zee

I have noticed the same thing on my press. I also was getting slight variance in COL but found that my shell plate could be tighter so that helped the issue.

The powder drops isnt all that bad but my goal is 4.5 grns and I vary up to 4.3-4.7 but typically have most dead on at 4.5. I also notice most variances when you load just one shell in the machine and check it over and over. If you have the machine full of shells and randomnly take one out to measure I think you will notice more consistency.

I think this is the same for COL because with just one shell in the machine the plate can tilt and either push the powder drop .002 +/- causing more movement of the powder bar.

I use a Uniquetek powder bar with the micrometer adjustment and just did a 10 shell test the other day. My variation measured on a Redding balance beam scale was .1 grains over the 10 drops. I don't mean a .1 in either direction either I mean 3 of the drops were 3.9 and seven of the drops were 4.0. I thought that was pretty consistent. Try measuring the consistency of your bullet heads too.

Check the fail safe rod & be sure it is setup correctly. It absolutely has to come in from the left side of the charge bar & at full extension, the spring on the bottom needs to be compressed. If either of these is not correctly setup, you will have those type of variances. Trust me, it has happened to me. The rod looks like it should come into the charge bar from the right but that is not correct. Polishing the charge bar is also a big help. Time will polish it but in the meantime, it gets frustrating trying to get good loads & having inconsistencies.

MLM

Check the fail safe rod & be sure it is setup correctly. It absolutely has to come in from the left side of the charge bar & at full extension, the spring on the bottom needs to be compressed. If either of these is not correctly setup, you will have those type of variances. Trust me, it has happened to me. The rod looks like it should come into the charge bar from the right but that is not correct. Polishing the charge bar is also a big help. Time will polish it but in the meantime, it gets frustrating trying to get good loads & having inconsistencies.

MLM

Yeah it took some tinkering to get the fail safe rod right. I had to tweak it at the Z bend and the main body to get it to work smoothly. I still get some variances but very little.

For me:

45acp

bullseye

small bar

enough flare to hold a FMJ on top and no more

I think the previous poster had it figured out with that fail safe rod. My bell crank wasnt moving freely until I tweaked that rod and I can see how that could mess with the powder charge. I think it is normal for the powder charge to carry a bit isnt it?

Be sure the case is being flared at least .010" larger than a sized, unflared case mouth. Doing so ensures that the powder bar is fully actuated every time, even with minor variations in case length. Also, be sure the blue wing nut at the bottom of the failsafe rod is tight enough that when the opereating handle is pushed forward to seat a primer, the coil spring above the blue wing nut is partially compressed. Start with the hopper at least 2/3 full of powder, throw 10-15 charges and dump them back before you begin weighing charges. Bullseye powder should stay within a +/- .1 grain variation. :ph34r:

Another thing you can try is to double wrap a rubber band around the base of the powder funnel and the stud at the rear of the powder bar. This will help make the return more consistent and costs less than a nickel.

Tried that and it was a no go. All it does is cause the bell crank to jump off the powder assembly and the entire thing jumps. It was a good idea though.

and gingerly drilling a small hole through the rod, slipping a washer over the top end of the rod, and then inserting a cotter pin/key through that hole.

FWIW, I run all three of my toolheads on my 550 (one for 9mm, one for .40 and one for .45) with the EGW/Lee Undersize die and the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Some people have complained here on the forums that running with that combination leads to a really clunky feeling press. Well, doing that Dillon Powder Measure retrograde eliminated some of that clunkiness.

I don't squirt or spray my pistol brass with any sort of lube either.

And since running with the EGW/Lee U-die + the Lee FCD, I never bother case gauging all my ammo now.

Need more info;

What caliber are you loading?

What powder?

How many grains?

Large or small bar?

If a straightwall case, how much are you flaring the case mouth?

Hey Dillon

What powder? - I doubt you know the powder we use here, but it is called S221 manufactured by somchem. It is a slow burning powder for .38 super

How many grains? - I use about 9.6grains on a 122gr copper head

Large or small bar? - Using the small bar

If a straightwall case, how much are you flaring the case mouth? - Hmm not sure how much I am flaring. will measure and get back to you on that.....

MO Zee,

TH epowder you are using sounds like a bulky powder. Try using the large powder bar, see if that works better. Also, make sure you are flaring at least .010". Keep us posted. :cheers:

Thanks for the reply. I will give the large powder a try. I am checked how much I am flaring by and its definitely +- 0.10"

MO Zee,

TH epowder you are using sounds like a bulky powder. Try using the large powder bar, see if that works better. Also, make sure you are flaring at least .010". Keep us posted. :cheers:

Thanks for the reply. I will give the large powder a try. I am checked how much I am flaring by and its definitely +- 0.10"

I am getting better results but not perfect. I still cant figure out why I get several charges at 4.2 with a variance of +/- but all of a sudden one at 4.6-4.7. It typically happens I found if I cycle the press with out a round in the powder station making the bar move half way but not enough to dispense powder. Right after that I found I will throw a higher charge then what I am aiming for.

Does that make any sense?

I am going to go play with the large powder die and see what the lowest wt charge I can get it to throw. I only want a 4grn charge or close to it using bullseye but the powder bar looks so big like it will only throw large amounts.