Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Messed Up Thumb

Ray S.

Have any of you folks ever had this problem? If so, do you know what causes it and how to fix it?

I have incurred a "knot" that hurts like H. It is:

At the base of the right thumb, towards the inside close to the "web" between the thumb and index finger.

It wiggles. And smarts mightily when its moved around. :o Fits precisely on the sharpest edge of a Glock 17 grip. :angry:

Any help/relief would certainly be appreciated.

Ray

At first I laughed, but tightloop might be right on TWO counts here... How long have you been using the Glock...? (has this happened before...?) In any event if there is that much pain, it might be worth a trip to a doctor.

What you have is a new callus in a place where you're not used to having one. You can get them on your fingers from just writing or using another hand tool a lot, and you can get them from shooting. The edges of grips and the back ends of thumb safeties are common causes. I know, because I have exactly what you do, though mine is caused by my small hands shooting a fat Para. My Ed Brown safety has been thinned and bevelled to the point of bending but the fit of the gun to my hand is just not ideal. I put up with it because I love my Paras.

Glocks don't have many hard/sharp edges to beat up your hands, but if you have decal grip tape on them, the edge is hard and sharp enough to dig into your hand in recoil. Try taking it off if you have a grip decal on, or cut the tape so that it doesn't rub where the callus is forming.

The callus will shrink and eventually disappear if you stop shooting for long enough, but this is not welcome advice for most. The problem will tend to recur anyway so long as you keep using the same hold on the same gun with the same grips without any modification. The callus may grow as you shoot more.

Trimming or filing the callus helps to keep it from growing. Use an emery board or diamond nail file. Soaking first softens the callus. You can, if you are willing to risk great bodily harm, use your Dremel sanding drums. You have a choice - Dremel yourself or the Glock grip, but use caution in either case.

good luck and good shooting

doc glock

The thumb flexor tendon runs through a pulley in the region you describe, and repetitive impacts/pressure can cause a painful swelling in the tendon. Try feeling the knot as you slowly flex/extend the thumb. If the knot is moving with the tendon, this is probably the source of your pain.

Treatment should initially be aimed at relieving pressure in this area. You could modify the grips to break the sharp edge, wear shooting gloves, decrease the volume of shooting you do. More aggressive treatment can involve NSAIDS, splinting, steroid injection, and occasionally surgery to release the pulley.

Hard to make the diagnosis over the internet, other common masses in this area include ganglion cysts, giant cell tumors of the tendon sheath. My call....go see an orthopedic surgeon.

I was wondering if you might be a bowler that just started winter league. That is a common problem at the beginning of the season and with a ball that doesn't fit quite right and you are gripping mostly with your thumb instead of your fingers.

Hi, thanks for answering, folks. I think I'm gonna head for the doc and get him to fix it. Got all winter to recuperate if I have to. I haven't bowled in 25 years, but now that you mention it, it is very similar to what I remember getting on a too-large ball, trying to grip it in the web. In fact that's why I bought my own.

I started working out on weights about a month ago after 40 years of championship couch-potato training. I think maybe the bars caused more damage than the Glock. Anyway, to the doctor I go. Then I'm gonna increase my meditation time to try and remember what "moderation" means.

Thanks again very much.

Ray

Lynn,

Actually, it's called trigger thumb when it happens in the thumb. Triggering occurs when the nodule on the tendon catches on entrance to the pulley and the thumb gets caught in the flexed position, then, with more extension effort, sudden extension occurs. Sometimes the triggering is mild, and is perceived as a slight catch, other times the thumb can lock in a flexed position. In the very early stages there may be no catch at all. Might try a search on WebMD.

[board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon Bias Mode On]

Go see an Orthopedic Surgeon!

[bCOSBM Off]

John:

Dude, how are you going to pay for your new clinic if you keep giving all of the advice away for free.

BTW, my tennis elbow is now taking a back seat to my golfer's elbow. The darn thing hurts on both sides now. Let me guess, I should go see an othopedic surgeon. :lol:

Ron,

One of the things I miss most about Residency is the opportunity to teach on a regular basis. Nothing like seeing the light come on when explaining something to an interested med student, etc. I spend a lot of time in the clinic trying to explain things to patients, and help them make educated decisions. Sometimes it's a losing battle. :huh: With all I've learned from this forum, I'm happy to contribute in any small way I can.

Lynn,

I assume you are talking about Dupuytren's Disease? This is essentially fibrosis of the palmar fascia (the thick, tough layer that reinforces the palm) and ranges in severity from painful nodules in the palm, to severe fixed flexion contractures of the fingers. No good treatment for this one other than surgery to remove the diseased tissue when the contractures begin interfering with function. The surgery is much easier to perform before on mild deformities, before the fingers are permanently stiff. More info here.

Dupuytren's

[Thread Hijack Mode ON]

(This is totally out of left field and has nothing to do with this thread.)

Dr. Dunn,

What's your experience with all the drug ads pandering to hypochondriacs? i.e. "Just ask your doctor to prescribe the green pill and we guarantee you'll feel simply wonderful."

Get a lot of people asking for magic placebos off that junk?

[/THM]

<brief comment during the hijack window>

I've long thought that prescription drug advertising had NO place whatsoever on television!!! Some of the ads don't even mention what the drug is FOR!! Huh...? Like, then, why bother advertising? How could we even ASK for 'em (which is wrong anyway) if we don't know what they ARE?? I'm missing the logic here. :wacko:

More of the drug adverts now ARE mentioning the purpose of the drug, but many/most of the earlier ones that I saw made no mention at all. Talk about a lot of money being wasted!! :angry:

Sorry. Carry on.

<brief rant off>

(adding two bits to hijack and rant mode on)

Nothing wrong with having informed patients, but, of course, drug ads are anything but.

They do promise a lot, and make people go to their docs asking for or about the new wonder drug. The pressure on docs is insidious. When Rogaine first came out, the manufacturer said in their popular media ads that the consumer could call them for a list of doctors "who could tell them more", and then contacted doctors asking if they wished to be on the list. Talk about strong arming.

Other new meds are simply ways to generate revenue. As best I can tell, Clarinex works no better than Claritin, but since the latter is off patent and is now available as a (relatively) inexpensive generic, the manufacturer touts the new, not the old.

Drug reps are not welcome in my office. They can leave samples of meds I already use, that I can give to the medically indigent, but no sales pitches, no new meds. I'll read my journals for the latest recommendations. I don't have a lot of samples stocked now, but I'm okay with that.

(my .02 hijack/rant mode off)

EricW,

We get some folks in who want a specific drug they've seen on TV (Celebrate...Celebrex), but thankfully not a truckload. If they have any co-pay, once they find out the prices of new vs. generic, the problem solves itself. We also get a lot of folks who tell the story that mom, dad, sis is on this wonderful med, can they get some too. A lot of times the med is a narcotic like Vicodin or Percocet. Nice try.

The anti-histamine market is out of control. Seems like it is in vogue to have a crapload of allergies these days. Many truly suffer, but I have a hard time believing that many on these meds couldn't do without them.

Don't get me started on ADHD and the over-medication of kids these days. The adult ADHD/ADD diagnosis is currently experiencing an upswing for people looking for an explanation of why their life sucks. I guess a diagnosis and a pill are easier to swallow than understanding that their current situation results from a series choices that they made poorly.

Drug reps are hired because they are nice, and are easy to like (have you ever seen an ugly drug rep?), but if you base your prescribing on their info alone, hang it up.

I guess a diagnosis and a pill are easier to swallow than understanding that their current situation results from a series choices that they made poorly.

That pretty well sums it up the American ideal anymore.

As far as the antihistamines, don't get me started *that*. I have hay fever in a bad way, and I'm still PO'd that Seldane was banned. Thanks, Clinton Administration!

Thanks for the feeback!

[/Thread Drift Mode]