Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rust on my brand new frame please help

werewolf45auto

So as some of you know it’s not easy to come across a new unused STI/SV 2011 frame in California. Well I did and did my paper work and waited my ten day waiting period. It’s a three hour drive for me so I waited more like fifteen day before I had a chance to get down there. I got there last night and told the guy I had a pick up and he went and got it. He pulls the frame out of the box to check the numbers and it’s covered in RUST. I kind of quietly freaked out and he said I could talk to his manager. I did and at first they tried to act like it must have come in with some rust on it. Thankfully I had taken some pictures of it with me cell because I wanted to show my friends my new gold bar so to speak. So long story kind of short I left and drove straight home and hit the garage. I brushed all the rust off but there are still discolored marks where ever there was rust. Did I not get all the rust off? Is that normal and It will go away when it’s built and has a finish put on it? Do I need to have in bead blasted or something? I just don’t want it to get worse and I hope it does not show up after the gun is done and built. Please Help

Frame is in the white, no finish. As long as it is just surface rust and not pitted it is not a problem. Get tthe rust off and put oil on it for now. When you have it finished it will either be bead blasted or polished depending on the finish you want. I have all my guns hard chromed.

So as some of you know it’s not easy to come across a new unused STI/SV 2011 frame in California. Well I did and did my paper work and waited my ten day waiting period. It’s a three hour drive for me so I waited more like fifteen day before I had a chance to get down there. I got there last night and told the guy I had a pick up and he went and got it. He pulls the frame out of the box to check the numbers and it’s covered in RUST. I kind of quietly freaked out and he said I could talk to his manager. I did and at first they tried to act like it must have come in with some rust on it. Thankfully I had taken some pictures of it with me cell because I wanted to show my friends my new gold bar so to speak. So long story kind of short I left and drove straight home and hit the garage. I brushed all the rust off but there are still discolored marks where ever there was rust. Did I not get all the rust off? Is that normal and It will go away when it’s built and has a finish put on it? Do I need to have in bead blasted or something? I just don’t want it to get worse and I hope it does not show up after the gun is done and built. Please Help

WOW....once again I am glad I DON'T live in the ROC! I always wondered about that (in the white) thing as I was thinking of building an STI based gun from scratch. I ended up purchasing a used STI EDGE on here. It is way better than my Para LTD. Nonetheless, I wouldn't worry about it if it is just surface rust. I have seen the before and after of these....it is truly amazing the finish will take care of all your problems. GOOD LUCK!

What I’m wondering the most is did I get it all off? I scrubbed it as hard as I could and it still has this very light brown color where ever the rust was, that I can’t get to go away and I don’t want it to get worse and start pitting or something.

WD-40 and 0000 steel wool will fix you up with no sanding marks or scratches. It's cheaper than buying a blast cabinet too. Just remember, a frame or slide "in the white" will surface rust easily when touched by someone with a high acidic ph in their skin.

Vinegar will remove rust. It isn't very fast acting but if you let it sit for a while it may get the stuff a little deeper than you are reaching with a brush. It may make you feel better to get it off now but like everyone has said, it will get taken care of during the finishing process.