Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visualization

Yagi

Can the use of visualization techniques really help you achieve your goals in life? Perhaps you know someone who uses mental rehearsal, or visualization, to help them develop the behavior they'd like to have?

There is nothing at all mysterious about how visualization works. You see, human beings think in the form of words, which trigger pictures and emotions - and our subconscious cannot tell the difference between something we imagine vividly and the real thing.

Whenever you look forward to something and create a picture in your mind of how you want something to be, you are using visualization even though you may not know it. These days, many successful people use visualization to help them improve their performance and develop their skills.

Here is how it works: If you are nervous about shooting in a match, for example. Just relax and see yourself doing it. Picture every little detail, and see yourself shooting confidently, persuasively and smoothly. Picture your aim, your posture, your movement. Feel your body, comfortable and relaxed.

Repeat the process over and over, as if you were making a movie starring yourself. When it is time to shoot, your subconscious will kick in to help you do it just like you pictured it. It's a lot like actors rehearsing for a play, only you are rehearsing for real life. Try it! I think you will be pleased with the results.

• 4 months later...

Yes,visualization techniques really help you achieve the goals in life.I feel it.There are two types of mind conscious and subconscious.There are very rare people who can be able to use their subconscious mind. You are right that visualization can be in form of pictures,words or emotions.It is something I feel that I always visualise what I want.It really helps me to increase my skills my performance because I visualise that I am giving a best performance. A very good post by you yagi. Keep it up.

The more experience I had, the more I realized the power of extremely detailed visualization. After about 20 years of competing, it became about all I cared about when preparing to shoot.

be

It seems I don't do well (yet) with slowing my mind enough for "detail" in my visualization. I remember John Pride telling me once he could smell burning gunpowder as he would visualize his PPC/Bianchi shooting. How do you s l o w your mind??

You don't slow your mind, you become aware of as much as possible. This has a time dilation effect on your perception of what is going on in and around you.

"Slowing" your mind is still speed/time focus.

I used to focus on visualizing myself shooting a stage at actual speed. I now think this is a fundamental flaw that many shooters experience as "actual speed" is quite relative to a large amount of variables and is based upon expectations of performance. I went from "actual speed" visualization to visualizing exactly what I needed to see to hit each target and noticed an immediate benefit regarding consistency.

You don't slow your mind, you become aware of as much as possible. This has a time dilation effect on your perception of what is going on in and around you.

"Slowing" your mind is still speed/time focus.

I used to focus on visualizing myself shooting a stage at actual speed. I now think this is a fundamental flaw that many shooters experience as "actual speed" is quite relative to a large amount of variables and is based upon expectations of performance. I went from "actual speed" visualization to visualizing exactly what I needed to see to hit each target and noticed an immediate benefit regarding consistency.

Every word - good stuff!

I never cared much for "real time" visualizing. If you visualize everything you will do, see, and feel in complete detail, your body-mind will take care of "real time" when it is real time.

be

You kinda have to force yourself the first few times, to focus on nothing but the stage you are about to shoot, and do it over and over again in your head. Just like a movie in your head. But with all the other distractions that you find at a match, like I said, you might have to force yourself to play this movie over and over again. And there's nothing wrong with closing your eyes to get it started. Once you've done this on a number of stages, and possibly even a great number of matches (I know I'm still working on it) you will do it easier and with more clarity. But even some of the top world class shooters do this, and some as many as 20, 30, 40 times over again in their head, until they have it down to a science.

How do you focus your mind on the visualization without all the other junk that floats around our minds popping up?

LOTS of practice, as Chris suggested.

Also, I'd highly recommend picking up a book on the subject, and begin training visualization in your daily life. It will then carry over into shooting much more quickly.

This one's the classic:

Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life (Gawain, Shakti) by Shakti Gawain.

be

I will agree visualization is so important. Being in law enforcement, you can visualize just about any situation, and be prepared for just about anything. A must read book, The Warrior Mindset by Lt. Col Dave Grossman excellent book. I worked in some of his teachings into my shooting and improved dramatically.

I will agree visualization is so important. Being in law enforcement, you can visualize just about any situation, and be prepared for just about anything. A must read book, The Warrior Mindset by Lt. Col Dave Grossman excellent book. I worked in some of his teachings into my shooting and improved dramatically.

Just dropped it in my amazon cart. Thanks.

be

• 2 months later...

lol yeah ive ordered a couple books that you guys recommended, iread part of this one book ''peak performance'' and ive been reading through that ''inner game of tennis'' at the moment and ive been trying to keep my 'relaxation mask' on and let 'self 2' execute the skillz

• 1 month later...