Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

+1 lens for shooting glasses

Neomet

Quite some time ago I had found a +1 clear stickon that I was able to put on the lens of my shooting glasses so I could see the front sight. I have since realized the futility of such actions and corrected the problem by moving to Open. The lovely Ms. Neomet however is now looking for the exact same thing and the lowest power I have been able to find is a +1.25 which doesn't work. Anybody know where you can get these, or alternatively if someone makes an in-frame lens set at +1? No clip-ons though.

Thanks!

If she already wears glasses have a pair made with the shooting eye distance correction + what ever you determine is best to see the front sight and still be able to see the target. +1 seem a little much to me. I have mine at only +0.5 any more and the targets were to fuzzy. Best way to determine the right correction it try a few different correnction level to see wich looks best for you. The eye doc should lens set and be able to do that for you.

MDA

More background would probably help here. She used wear a -1.5 which she could see the front sight fine with. She finally went to the eye doc and got her proper correction which is -2.75. Not only do I suddenly look worse than she thought but the front sight is now out of focus. We went and had her try on various reading glasses and found that the +1 let her clearly see the front sight and good enough for distance. Ideally we would have shooting glasses that she could just put on at the range without having to pop her contact out.

+1 on Decot. Even if you don't live in Phoenix. Send them her prescription and they'll make glasses with a bit of whatever correction you need in the dominant eye for close while leaving distance in the off eye. Works well for pistol. call and talk to them first, they are shooters and optomitrists (spelling?) and understand. Not cheap but well worth it.

Depends on what you lens is correcting for. I am nearsighted and my contacts correct for clearer distance viewing. I found that a + correction made the front sight harder to see. I did better using a weaker lens = less correction for distance made my close vision better. Some nearsighted people may do better with no correction at all.

I have a pair of NYX shooting glasses. They have a prescription insert option that is attached to the nose piece. They will make whatever you want and are really nice people. Call Martie Holt, Sportsman’s Closet, 713.463.5656. Website nyxsports.com

I have a pair of NYX shooting glasses. They have a prescription insert option that is attached to the nose piece. They will make whatever you want and are really nice people. Call Martie Holt, Sportsman’s Closet, 713.463.5656. Website nyxsports.com

Dioptors are additive so if -2.75 is her ideal long distance lens, she would normally add between .5 and .75 to that figure to get a net of -2.25 to -2.00 ... a full 1.0 on top of regular glasses seems a little too strong than is common but, that would yield a net of -1.75. I just went through all this last week and had the optometrist confirm the 'common wisdom' about shooting lenses.

Just get a dedicated pair of safety glasses or a high-end model made up with that script for the shooting eye. The off eye is personal preference - I left the full distance prescription in for seeing the HP target markers at 200 yds. Some folks use a blinder or tape to reduce the light on the off eye and facilitate shooting with both eyes open. Others put in a lens to better allow use of a scope for LR or HP at 300 and 600.

/Bryan