Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phantom vs Shadow

DoubleDelta

How do these two stack up? Can the Phantom's trigger be made as good as the Shadow's? How do the two compare as far as recoil control? Is there a DOH that fits the Phantom?

Thanks in advance.

big difference in weight. the Phantom is more snappy..the Shadow is really soft from the weight of the gun.

a decocker trigger can be made super nice. as nice as a factory Shadow probably..as good as a tricked out Shadow..Maybe.

IIRC, someone sent their Phantom to BladeTech, so they should have the mold now.

The reason I ask is that I love my CZ-75B but I have been shooting a G35 for the last couple of years and I have come to like a lighter gun. Also I like the Phantom's de-cocker-I doubt I am the only RO that is made nervous by manual de-cocking...

• 1 month later...
Shadow.

The Phantom's decocker setup does not allow you to get as good a grip as the Shadow.

I would say shadow as well. I really did not like the grib or the balance of the phantom when I played with one at the local gun shop. Owned an SP01 and loved it. Regret selling it a bit now. I am thinking of getting a "Minked Shadow" now!

I've shot my Phantom at a few IDPA matches un-tuned (except for replacement of the recoil spring) and plan to have it improved by czcustom.com with the competition hammer.

I did not find the ergonomics or the weight a problem. Then again, I've been shooting lighter 147gr loads through it thus far. When I had a CZ SP-01 tactical (decocker model) I found the left hand decocking lever got in the way. On the Phantom I'm not experiencing this issue. It seems the decocking lever sits out of the way on the plastic framed Phantom and that is a good thing. I'm waiting for it to show up on the USPSA production list as well.

-Albert

• 1 month later...

I've shot my Phantom at a few IDPA matches un-tuned (except for replacement of the recoil spring) and plan to have it improved by czcustom.com with the competition hammer.

I did not find the ergonomics or the weight a problem. Then again, I've been shooting lighter 147gr loads through it thus far. When I had a CZ SP-01 tactical (decocker model) I found the left hand decocking lever got in the way. On the Phantom I'm not experiencing this issue. It seems the decocking lever sits out of the way on the plastic framed Phantom and that is a good thing. I'm waiting for it to show up on the USPSA production list as well.

-Albert

I been shooting the Phantom for about a year so far. Its been very reliable so far. I ran about 1200 rounds (handloads) through it with out any oil or other maintenance and there was no problem. I recently changed the front sight to the fiber optic from the Custom Shop and am waiting for them to complete the trigger job on it.

If you're having trouble finding a holster for it. The Blackawk Serpa for the Springfield XD will work perfectly fine for it. The only thing you have to do is shim the trigger guard area a little bit because the XD's is wider.

i like lightweight guns too, but the all steel frame with handloads and some new springs makes it shoot like a 22. :)

a decocker takes more time or money to be as nice as a manual safety trigger group, but if the gun goes to mink or angus - it won't matter. i just don't like decockers because the lever gets in the way of my grip.