Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Blaster

RC1

Hi,

I would sure like to tap into the vast pool of knowledge and experience from you shooters on this great forum, in regards to a new gun purchase.

I plan on having a short 9mm major blaster built. Over the last year or so I have observed a significant amount of controversy on the subject, and as I am fairly new to this game this is causing me some concern.

The aspects of the 9mm major that I like are:

1.Cost of brass of course.

2.I have other 9mm guns. This would simplify loading

3.The prospect of practicing with factory Winchesters from Wally-World is very attractive to me. I understand from reading this forum that Chris Grube is having good success with them.

My concerns are,

1.I have heard that it can be very difficult to get the 9mm to eject consistently.

2.My powder choices would severely be limited and developing a load that works may be more difficult to find.

3.As a relatively new shooter this may not be the safest place to start, because trying to make 9mm major puts you on the ragged of edge safety anyway.

4.I really don’t want to have to deal with a super finicky gun at this point. Instead I need to focus my attention on developing my shooting skills.

I have selected a gunsmith, who through my research seems to be well respected in this community (the shooting community). He is more than willing to build the gun the way I want, but is not convinced that 9x19 is the way to go. His suggestion is to go to 9x23 SC.

The build so far looks like this:

1.SV frame and slide (Am having difficulty finding SV Should I hold out or go for STI?)

2.Shuman barrel (NOT AET)

3.Brozzo Compensator (Cone type)

4.IceDawson Magwell

5.Aftec Extractor

6.Tungsten Guide rod

7.Long Firing Pin (Limcat)

8.Sear Spring (EGW)

9.Hammer Doug Koenig

10.Swenson Ambidex

11.Long Ejector

12.Alchin mount

13.C-more sight

14.SV/STI beavertail

15.4- 140 SV mags w/grahams base pads

16.170 SV mags w/grahams base pad

Any advice and info would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Rick

Your post will get a wide array of responses, so I'll start with the first one. I have one of J.L. Hardy's short 9s. I went with the major 9 for many of the same reasons you list. Plus, J.L. was shooting his own with good success, so I wasn't worried about reliability. However, if the smith you plan to use, isn't sure the 9 is the way to go, I'm not sure I would want him cutting his major 9 teeth, so to speak, on me and my gun. Having a local smith build and maintain the gun is worth a lot, but I wouldn't want to force him to build something he wasn't experienced or comfortable with. As a new shooter, I would certainly be cautious with the major 9, but no more so than any major caliber open gun, as they all need high velocities and high pressures to work the comp, make major, etc. As far as your parts list..it looks fine. STI vs SV, that one will generate some discussion. IMO, I like the STI because they're generally easier to get, and the STI contingency program is tough to beat. Good luck.

I would like to add just a few notes as well.

As Cpty1 noted, I wouldn't be very excited about a gun if my smith wasn't very excited as well. Although my short 9x19 is from Bedell, I can't think of anyone with more experience that J L Hardy in the short gun/9x19 format, and as he has said in the past, if it is set up right, it runs, if it it not, it doesn't. Seems simple.

I have used vv 3n37,HS6,HS7., and imr 7625 to make major. It really isn't that big of a deal. Like all the other calibers, start low, chronograph, look for pressure signs, do the power factor calculation, and work upwards to find a load that makes major, shoots flat in your gun, and is accurate. SP2 gets very good reviews, but is hard to find right now.

You will be disapointed with whitebox ammo. First, it won't duplicate a major load, and secondly in my gun, it shoots about 3 inch groups at 15 yds.

Mine is on a STI frame, and I see no reason to delay your gun if an SV isn't available.

One more thing......Be extremely careful about mixing your major 9 with your minor 9. You will have a lot to worry about if you shoot any major in one of your other 9mm's

Mike

I agree with what has been posted. There is a pretty short list of smiths that are building shorty 9's. I wouldn't be dumping a few grand into a project if the smith was suggesting something else.

I'll even go a step further...if you don't have one of the guys that is well-versed do the building...then don't even go with a shorty gun.

I recently got to watch a guy run a Dawson Mini. This guy was a decent shooter, but he wasn't benefitting from shooting the Mini.

I would suggest that new shooters pick a tried and true platform. Give up some cutting edge performance for some proven reliability and stability.

(That 9mm brass is attractive though. ;) )

RC1,

The 9 major has all the benefits you listed and is reliable if set up properly. The set up properly is the same for all guns and calibers. I've seen supers, SC,9x23 and .40s spit choke and puke at matches. Most of the time it is bad ammo or mags but there are some guns that just aren't set up right from the get go. EGW built my gun and it will eat everything from the Wally world specials up to my handloads. Get an Aftec extractor and a XL ejector. If these parts are properly tuned along with the springs the world is good. Get SV mags as you don't have to use the spacers for shorter ammo lengths and they don't do the salt shaker like the STI mags. As Flex pointed out as a new shooter you probably won't be able to take full advantage of the shorter gun. You need something that is 100% reliable and accurate so that any mistakes are you and not the gun. Nothing worse than a new shooter with a problem gun. However, you will grow into the gun and I would suggest building it with every possible advantage to start with that way a year or two down the road you aren't building a new gun. If the gunsmith isn't sure about building the gun I don't care how well respected he is find a Gunsmith that has built them and can make them run. I've never handled one of J.L.'s guns but hear good things about them. George Smith at EGW is one of the best at building them the wait time might be a little longer than some but there is a reason for that, He's busy because he's good. I picked up my gun and it ran great from day one. Some other guys I shoot with used a different GS and had the same type gun using the same parts and it took them a couple months to get the bugs worked out. Loading major 9 isn't any harder than Super or any of the others. I hear the powder selection BS but lets face it there are probably only 4-5 powders that are widely used anyway regardless of caliber. The Vit stuff is great and I haven't felt the need to look any further. I like to shoot, some like to tinker with every powder and load out there. Find one that works and go shoot. You don't improve by loading ammo you improve by shooting. If you have any questions email me.

"I like to shoot, some like to tinker with every powder and load out there. Find one that works and go shoot. You don't improve by loading ammo you improve by shooting."

True but finding a load that works well in YOUR style gun is important. I like to tinker and f**k with everything. Why because I want to know how it works and the more I F**k with something the more I learn. Try loading 3n37 with 115s in a 9 major. Then tell me how long it took to clean up the mess. Or even 4756 with 124's. See my point.

The 9 works well if setup properly. J.L. swears by it and I have shot his gun. The gun I shot shot very well. If he handed me one and said here, shoot the piss out of this and see what you can do I'd take the callenge. Brass is cheap and there are some goods powders out there that will work, but not evry one that you can use with supers.

Hey

I want to thank you guys again for the recomentation to go with J.L.Hardy, I just recieved my gun today and this thing is a WORK OF ART! I could not be more pleased. O it shoots great too!! Really great!

Thanks Again

Rick