Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competing with a Snub

doc540

Perhaps I'm not thinking clearly, but why shouldn't I shoot matches with my carry gun?

Sure, the barrel is abbreviated and reloading from a speedloader may be slower, but, afterall, it is the gun I'm betting my life on.

I've checked around and a BUG gun match is held infrequently around these parts.

Besides, if my focus is on improving my skills instead of just beating the others by making the lowest score, shooting what I carry makes some kind of sense, doesn't it?

Or maybe not. :unsure:

I don't think your logic is flawed, it's really a matter of what are you trying to accomplish? If you are using your carry holster, carry spare ammo, and drawing from concealment......what's the problem? No, you're not going to win any matches, but that's not your goal, right? Hopefully you don't get conditioned to react to a dangerous situation by waiting for the beep of the timer, though. Just remember it is a game, not training. If you are building confidence and skills with your carry piece, more power to you.

More power to ya. I've used a little 2" S&W 66 in both USPSA and IDPA and now I'll try it in ICORE retro division. With full house .357 mag loads it is "fun" to say the least, even better at our annual IDPA night shoot, the flash with a short barrel is something to appreciate

Perhaps I'm not thinking clearly, but why shouldn't I shoot matches with my carry gun?

Sure, the barrel is abbreviated and reloading from a speedloader may be slower, but, afterall, it is the gun I'm betting my life on.

I've checked around and a BUG gun match is held infrequently around these parts.

Besides, if my focus is on improving my skills instead of just beating the others by making the lowest score, shooting what I carry makes some kind of sense, doesn't it?

No reason not to compete with a snubbie.

Here is Blueridge shooting a Ruger Alaskan snubbie in 45 Colt at the Memphis Charity Challenge.

No reason not to compete with a snubbie.

Here is Blueridge shooting a Ruger Alaskan snubbie in 45 Colt at the Memphis Charity Challenge.

POOR STEEL!!! :surprise:

I'll win my class (possibly even revolver division) someday, and there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (From my competition that is) :P

Poor steel??? They knew what they were getting into when the got into the match. I never have to ask for a calibration check on the steel, that's for sure. :lol:

I use the Alaskan in IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge (with lighter loads). It has taken some work to get to the level of accuracy that I want, but I am more confident in my shooting ability in general with revolvers and autos. I intend to try my hand at ICORE in the near future.

I have always used HKS speedloaders with my revolver. and though I plan to get some Blade-Tech speedloader pouches for competition, I'll still use the HKS pouches on a regular basis to keep in practice with them. I won't be changing the speedloaders to another type, by my choice.

I never get tired of seeing that video from the Memphis Charity Challenge. :roflol:

Edited by Blueridge

before the range burned down, we held an ICORE that was 5-round/BUG gun neutral & I shot my 340PD from a pocket holster (with 38s).

I learned my pocket holster is damn slow on the draw. And snubbies are hard to shoot as accuratly or as fast as my race revolvers.

Last summer I shot one of our local matchs with my 3" XD subcompact out of an inside the waistband Miltsparks holster. I wanted to shoot production and at least give my son a CHANCE to beat me. :sight: It was a lot of fun, he didn't beat me (it was close) and I am thinking I will try my Tauras 905 next spring.

Since I have less time to practice, I now shoot all my USPSA matches with my 3" 625. It's what I always carry concealed now and I draw from my El Paso Street Combat holster. I'm pretty sure a 3" 625 qualifies for BUG status in whatever matches recognize such events. I would love to shoot a five round neutral match with my 940 but all of these matches around here are IDPA events which involve no reloading on the clock.

Regarding the Ruger Alaskan, how else can you speedload this other than with HKS speedloaders? And I don't mean with moonclips. For a while I really enjoyed shooting my Bowen Redhawk Alpine in IDPA but speedloading the .45 Colt was a real struggle with those tight chambers.

Dave Sinko

Regarding the Ruger Alaskan, how else can you speedload this other than with HKS speedloaders? And I don't mean with moonclips. For a while I really enjoyed shooting my Bowen Redhawk Alpine in IDPA but speedloading the .45 Colt was a real struggle with those tight chambers.

Dave Sinko

It has been suggested to me that there are some of the the "spring loaded" type (SL Variant ?) speedloaders that would likely work with the Ruger Alaskan. I have never had the opportunity to check this out in person, and really don't want to take a chance by ordering one that "might" work to try.

Edited by Blueridge

I'll win my division (possibly even overall revoolver) someday, and there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (From my competition that is) :P

Poor steel??? They knew what they were getting into when the got into the match. I never have to ask for a calibration check on the steel, that's for sure. :lol:

I use the Alaskan in IDPA, USPSA, and Steel Challenge (with lighter loads). It has taken some work to get to the level of accuracy that I want, but I am more confident in my shooting ability in general with revolvers and autos. I intend to try my hand at ICORE in the near future.

I have always used HKS speedloaders with my revolver. and though I plan to get some Blade-Tech speedloader pouches for competition, I'll still use the HKS pouches on a regular basis to keep in practice with them. I won't be changing the speedloaders to another type, by my choice.

I never get tired of seeing that video from the Memphis Charity Challenge. :roflol:

Robert,

The video of you shooting the classifier at MCC is getting close to being the most viewed video I have posted on vholdr.com Looks like you are becoming a star!! I'll have to get your autograph next year!!! :lol:

Robert,

The video of you shooting the classifier at MCC is getting close to being the most viewed video I have posted on vholdr.com Looks like you are becoming a star!! I'll have to get your autograph next year!!! :lol:

Well I was fortunate that you decided to record my shooting that stage for posterity then. :)

With a bit of practice, I plan to make a better showing at next year's Memphis Charity Challenge. I saw on a post by the top "speedloader" category winner that he will be back to defend his title at next year's MCC. I plan to get the practice in to make it a challenge for him, or at least make a good run for second place. ;)

3 Inch 625 or 2 1/2 inch M 19 at our club matches were all targets are under about 15 yards no handicap at all however both guns with adjustable sights Houge grips and not real short may not be considered true Snub Nose. 2 inch Model 10 with factory stocks and a Tyler T grip is not as effective mostly do to the Grip. Same with a 3 inch 36 or even my everyday carry gun, M 342. They just don't score as high. The 342 in particular is a real challenge to shoot matches. It's a real effective gun for a cylinder full up close though.

It all depends on the objective. I shoot mostly for fun and to remain compent with the handguns I actualy carry. Nothing better than IDPA for that.

Boats

When I looked at the video of you shooting it didn't appear the recoil was too bad. I guess that was probably due to you holding the pistol very tight. I have a 7 1/2" SRH .454 Casull and wouldn't even want to think of the recoil on an Alaskan using a .454 cartridge. Recoil isn't that bad with the 7 1/2 barrel due to the overall weight of the pistol.

When I looked at the video of you shooting it didn't appear the recoil was too bad. I guess that was probably due to you holding the pistol very tight. I have a 7 1/2" SRH .454 Casull and wouldn't even want to think of the recoil on an Alaskan using a .454 cartridge. Recoil isn't that bad with the 7 1/2 barrel due to the overall weight of the pistol.

Shake Blueridge's hand and you'll get an idea why it didn't appear to recoil much.

Well the Alaskan is appoximately 44 ounces unloaded, as compared to 53 ounces the 7 1/2" barrel Super Redhawk is. I had a firm hold on the Alaskan, and was using 250gr LRNFP bullets. The recoil is more of a strong push than a snap. The Hogue grips helped also. I have fired near max loads in .45 Colt in competition (6.0 grains Titegroup), and felt that I had control of the revolver the whole time. I was using 5.8 grains of Titegroup in the video that you saw, and I had backed down from the hotter load for other than recoil purposes. I was having problems with the cylinder heating up to the point that I could barely hold it doing reloads on long field courses after about 24 rounds.